Schwartz: Dolphin, the Hawkeyes, and Being PC

The proper correction to one race treating another like shit is to start treating them as equals. The things you described in your post is over correction in my opinion.

Yes, over-correction on the part of the mainstream media. And society at-large. Female professors showing up to class with coffee mugs that say "male tears." Imagine a male professor with a "female tears" mug. My point is the forces of "change" don't want equity--they want dominance--they want their own over-correction to be the norm.

If everyone has it, he's not guilty. He's human. If I call someone a douche, and that person has a stinky vagina, it's possible I smelled it and my unconscious bias made me choose to use the word douche. It's also just as likely that it was a coincidence. There is no way for anyone to know which one it was.

If everyone has unconscious bias, then people shouldn't lose their job over it.

Awful example based on the whole history of how blacks were and are treated in this country. Which I may be mistaken but believe is the whole point of why comparing a black player to a giant ape was called out.

I do agree that he shouldn't have been suspended let alone lose his job over it. This was a great opportunity to begin a dialog on unconscious bias. Which we all have.

Awful example based on the whole history of how blacks were and are treated in this country. Which I may be mistaken but believe is the whole point of why comparing a black player to a giant ape was called out.

I do agree that he shouldn't have been suspended let alone lose his job over it. This was a great opportunity to begin a dialog on unconscious bias. Which we all have.
The problem is that the "unconscious bias" in this instance had absolutely nothing to do with skin pigmentation.

And this is why I get made fun of everywhere I go when I tell people I'm from Iowa/Nebraska. The world is passing you guys by.

Based on the long history of Iowans being considered 3/5ths of human beings, being described as looking like horses, not being allowed to vote and that whole slavery thing I'm going to have to agree that the tweet is offensive.

If you didn't cringe when Carlin calls George Pryor and Eddie Murphy "Nigg**s", and especially if you agree or feel comfortable with that, please help me understand why it is tolerable.
I love Carlin. And at the same time this video represented a different time. Our society is evolving. We know better and we need to keep up.

I never said he should be fired, suspended or that he was a garbage human being/racist. We all have unconscious bias. Starting conversations on things like this is a good thing.

regardless of whether everyone has unconscious bias, why does gary barta and a tv network get to decide what gary dolphin's unconscious biases are or aren't and whether they are racist or not?

is unconscious bias the same as racism? cuz, racism is learned. an unconscious bias would be more along the lines of self preservation, survival instinct, etc. flat our racism is learned. a new born has the ability to recognize their skin color is different than someone else's, but that isn't racism. it is the context learned towards a skin color that can become racism.

Comedians are so good at pointing out dumb shit. They're the only people who can get away with it too.

You do realize that race is a mythical creation of culture, right? Biologically speaking, race doesn't exist.

So I'm in a bar getting drunk and talking to this guy with very different ideas than my own. I say to him, "You realize everyone is racist."
He answers, "Not me. I judge people on the content of their character."
I reply, "I wish more people were like you. By the way, let me ask you a question. If an alien race landed on earth and gave humankind a choice between exterminating all humans or all rats, which would you vote for?"
My fellow barfly retorts, "That's a no-brainer. Humans of course."
Me: "Hominina over rodentia? Classic racist reply. Your race over another's."

If you didn't cringe when Carlin calls George Pryor and Eddie Murphy "Nigg**s", and especially if you agree or feel comfortable with that, please help me understand why it is tolerable.
I love Carlin. And at the same time this video represented a different time. Our society is evolving. We know better and we need to keep up.

I'll try to help you understand.

That really wasn't a different time. You can say that about the 70s and earlier of course, even 80s.
But this show wasn't from that "different time".
Carlin would have done the same thing today.
So ya, I didn't cringe. For two reasons:

1. If you follow Carlin, and have watched literally everything he has done, especially his later politically charged years, you'd know if there is one white dude who is 100% on the side of the oppressed, minoirity, etc., it's George Carlin.
2. He, like all comedians (George was more than a comedian) cross into the extreme to get a point across, because, like the poster above said, they can.

So I didn't cringe. He never said that shit again. Ever.
Because "context".
It's the person saying it that should matter, not the word, despite everything that word represents.

Fact is, we are getting softer. Language is softening, and for reasons other than what may appear on the surface.