Isaiah Moss??

Jesus guys. Cmac was out there to handle the pressure which he did admirably and got us into our offense. JBo just has a really tough time with pressure he can’t get around guys or get any space to initiate the offense. Connor’s toughness saved us a possession on offense when he was strong with the ball and ultimately got fouled. If that’s a JBo Moss backcourt that’s likely a turnover and a layup the other way. Connor had two huge steals in the zone using his basketball IQ. That’s plus three possessions for Iowa. I’m not even a big Connor guy and I can see that.

This was not a free throw shooting game, Iowa was trailing inside three minutes. I like Moss and think he should have got a little more run in the second half, but I don’t blame Fran for all for sticking with the lineup that was getting stops and ultimately won us the game.
I didn't say it was a free throw game last night but it could have been. Other games have and will be. I get the ball handling aspect of it all. I'm not saying Moss should have played the whole time but dude was hardly out there at all in the 2nd half and not at all down the stretch... Just crazy to have Baer out there who's a free throw shooting liability to me out there and not Moss. We can play small in those situations

Moss is only valuable to the team when his shot is going in. Otherwise, he's a liability. There is absolutely no hustle to his game & has bad shot selection.

CM is a pretty good free throw shooter too. Everyone has bad nights at the line.

Moss is only valuable to the team when his shot is going in. Otherwise, he's a liability. There is absolutely no hustle to his game & has bad shot selection.

CM is a pretty good free throw shooter too. Everyone has bad nights at the line.

Was moss not hitting shots last night 4-4 I believe from deep? I honestly think moss is one of our better perimeter defenders he can keep up with B1G guards and has the size to match Moss gets trashed on this site and he’s probably our most well rounded guard (can shoot can get to the rim can handle the ball get the ball into the post player and his defense is solid) watch the game people

Which players are valuable when their shots are NOT going in?
(this'll be interesting)

Was moss not hitting shots last night 4-4 I believe from deep? I honestly think moss is one of our better perimeter defenders he can keep up with B1G guards and has the size to match Moss gets trashed on this site and he’s probably our most well rounded guard (can shoot can get to the rim can handle the ball get the ball into the post player and his defense is solid) watch the game people

Everyone gets trashed on this site especially during the game threads and after losses. Personally, I have trouble following the game threads

CMs passing in this game allowed J Bo to operate with less pressure. PSU is not an outstanding perimeter team.

Moss misses wide open players. I watch every game, multiple times. He has no hustle & watches the shot go up from the 3 pt line.

Moss misses wide open players. I watch every game, multiple times. He has no hustle & watches the shot go up from the 3 pt line.
The dude is still our best 2 guard... when he hit like his 3rd strait 3 in the first half I was saying to my brother he may go on to have a big big night. He was feeling it and PSU wasn't going to find a way to keep him from getting those looks. But then Fran takes him out and he hardly plays.. I've never understood taking out a guy as hot as he was like that. Ride that horse till she can't go anymore. If JBo had just hit 3 or 4 strait shots you know damn well he isn't coming out. I know there's more to the game than just that. But he's not as bad as your describing. He's had some good rebounding games lately and some steals. Fran even admitted after the game he should have played him more it was just a flow of the game mistake he made. Maybe a little Daddy playing his son too...

Garza, Connor, Wissey, Baer, Jbo. I am probably forgetting someone.
I think Moss is valuable for a lot of reasons. He is a good defender for the most part. It seems that sometimes he disappears for parts of games because he isn't scoring which does not mean that he is not contributing in other ways. And lately, he has been more aggressive with his shot.
I think Cook is valuable no matter what and lately I would add Kriener

I would agree with this post until lately. He's been doing way better lately with hustle and shot selection.

CM is passing on wide open shots. Can't be doing that.

Fran has 2-3 of these mulligans every year where somebody gets jobbed on PT in the second half and he gives some plausible deniability and then says they should have played more anyway.

This thread makes me laugh.

Number one and most importantly Iowa won the game. I’m sure moss was a little irked at the time but considering we won the game and Fran publicly mentioned he should have got him back out there I'm sure he got over it.

It was one of those nights where JBo had that look in his eyes where if you gave him an open look he was going to drill it. Only thing is Penn State’s smaller quicker guards were hounding him when he was playing PG and he was having a really tough time with it, so Fran brought in Connor to handle the ball and initiate our offense. It worked well and we were able to pound the ball inside to Garza and Kriener who took over in the 2H. Bohannon made 3 crucial 3s in the 2H and Weiskamp scored a quiet 10 points of his own in the 2H.

On the defensive end Moss is one of our quicker guards who has the speed to guard guys in man to man. We went with zone second half because Penn State (despite the hot shooting 1H) isn’t a very good 3pt shooting team. Moss has the tendency to get lost in the zone at times. Connor ended up making two crucial steals in the zone using his basketball IQ to see one pass ahead where Penn State tried to throw it.

Fran pulled the right strings and Iowa came back to win a big road game. Moss’s shooting in the 1H was big and he will continue to be a very important part of our team going forward. The matchup in the 2H just didn’t present as much time for Moss. The Cmac, JBo, Weiskamp backcourt got us back into the game and ultimately won it for us. Maybe next game there won’t be as much time for Connor and there will be more for Moss, it just depends on the matchup. Ultimately it’s about winning the ball game.

Last edited:
I might be wrong about this but does it seem like JW plays more assertive with Moss out of the game like he did in the 2nd half? Could be coincidental but I think they each play better when the other is out of the game.

Jesus guys. Cmac was out there to handle the pressure which he did admirably and got us into our offense. JBo just has a really tough time with pressure he can’t get around guys or get any space to initiate the offense. Connor’s toughness saved us a possession on offense when he was strong with the ball and ultimately got fouled. If that’s a JBo Moss backcourt that’s likely a turnover and a layup the other way. Connor had two huge steals in the zone using his basketball IQ. That’s plus three possessions for Iowa. I’m not even a big Connor guy and I can see that.

This was not a free throw shooting game, Iowa was trailing inside three minutes. I like Moss and think he should have got a little more run in the second half, but I don’t blame Fran for all for sticking with the lineup that was getting stops and ultimately won us the game.
Cmac doesn't make many dumb plays. For this, he is valuable. He is fundamentally sound, reminds me of a FB QB who wins without looking great. Always planning ahead, watching, big enough to protect the ball. Also, he isn't a shooter, and is aware of it, at least at this point in his career, which is in infancy.

I didn't say it was a free throw game last night but it could have been. Other games have and will be. I get the ball handling aspect of it all. I'm not saying Moss should have played the whole time but dude was hardly out there at all in the 2nd half and not at all down the stretch... Just crazy to have Baer out there who's a free throw shooting liability to me out there and not Moss. We can play small in those situations
Moss is a high risk, high return player. He is not that fundamentally sound, and makes too many dumb plays. That said, he can light it up without a conscience. If he can make FTs under duress, he is highly valuable to have in at the end of close games. Untapped potential in him.

Latest posts