Stanley is a total choke artist.

and it makes you wonder if he is a little slow in the head? Maybe the game is too fast for his brain to keep up?

Nate S.: 137/244; 56.1%; 1764 yards; 7.23 Average yards per pass completion; 16 TD's; 8 Int.; 132 rating.

Trace McS.: 122/231; 52.8%; 1628 yards; 7.05 average yards per pass completion; 12 TD's; 4 Int.; 125.7 rating.

Full Disclosure: Trace has rushed for 617 yards. So yeah. That matters. But, the passing stats are what they are.

From a variety of sources, PSU and Iowa have similar strength of schedule ratings.

Just found this interesting.

Reasonable people don’t see Stanley as a choke artist.

Yes, a lot of fans keep forgetting their are 11 opponents on the other side of the LOS and that football is a game of making plays on both sides, causing disruptions, forcing mistakes.

I keep thinking of Nate at ISU last year when in his first road start he was just awesome.

The first thing that came to mind is quarterback regression, but then I remembered Jon telling us that he tore that argument to shreds. :rolleyes:

If Jon said that in a podcast I didnt listen to it. Yes it may not be regression that we saw, under Fry Tom Poholsky was a very good replacement for injured Mark Vlasic and the next year Poholsky won the starting job but he seemed to just "freeze up" in the season opener not throw anything close to a receiver. Fry replaced him in that game and I dont think he started again. I dont know maybe the level of last saturday's game of ranked teams, in front of that crowd, got to Nate and he had trouble pulling the trigger. I hope that is all it is a one time psychological blip and Nate starts getting back to decent Nate. We know he isnt the most accurate but he also makes mostly really good throws.

He usually makes good decisions and hope he cuts down on the bad ones

It was not a good performance - he also doesn't seem to be real clutch in some of the bigger games on the road. Reminded me of the Wisci game last year, but he was actually better on Saturday. But, bench him? Serious LOL. Nate Stanley is one of the better QB's in the country and the #'s and his record bears that, Iowa is gonna ride or die with him til he exhaust his eligibility...as they should. Iowa lost a game to a good opponent on the road. It sucks, but even the top 25 polls still know that Iowa is good.

Justin Herbert (projected #1 pick) @ Arizona:
24/48 190 Yards 2TDs/ 1 INT (they got smoked)

Drew Lock (projected 1st rounder): vs Kentucky
15/27 165 Yards 0TDs

Will Grier (Heisman candidate) @ ISU
11/15 100 Yards 1TD/ 1 INT

Point being this kind of thing can happen. Nate had a horrible game on Saturday, and I think he’d be the first to admit it. He has a long ways to ago especially with pocket presence, decision making, and accuracy, but calling for Mansell is a stretch at this point given what NS has proven over the last two years.

Justin Herbert (projected #1 pick) @ Arizona:
24/48 190 Yards 2TDs/ 1 INT (they got smoked)

Drew Lock (projected 1st rounder): vs Kentucky
15/27 165 Yards 0TDs

Will Grier (Heisman candidate) @ ISU
11/15 100 Yards 1TD/ 1 INT

Point being this kind of thing can happen. Nate had a horrible game on Saturday, and I think he’d be the first to admit it. He has a long ways to ago especially with pocket presence, decision making, and accuracy, but calling for Mansell is a stretch at this point given what NS has proven over the last two years.

someone called him "slow in the head" on here.... so calling for Mansell seems tame.

The people calling for Stanley to be benched are really just exposing themselves for the knee jerk reactors they are.

I don't think ANYONE would argue against the fact that was a bad game for Stanley. He had good moments, but his bad moments were in key points in the game that unfortunately were the deciding factors. But to say let's bench the guy for the 2nd string QB that isn't even being considered by the coaching staff as replacing Stanley. It's just reactionary. That's it.

The people calling for Stanley to be benched are really just exposing themselves for the knee jerk reactors they are.

I don't think ANYONE would argue against the fact that was a bad game for Stanley. He had good moments, but his bad moments were in key points in the game that unfortunately were the deciding factors. But to say let's bench the guy for the 2nd string QB that isn't even being considered by the coaching staff as replacing Stanley. It's just reactionary. That's it.

I think the reaction is not just to the last game. Nate has consistently thrown at the ground behind player etc. all year. Its evident that the interceptions he has thrown are often times related to his lack of seeing the whole field. The thing that was evident in this PSU game was he was nervous and uncomfortable. Numerous times audible at the line of scrimmage. Even with his completions throughout the season, they are throws that could have easily been turned into additional yardage or even big plays if the target was not having to reach back or reach down to catch the pass.

Stanley is the starter and will be. On Saturday, I wouldn’t have mind seeing Mansell get a series, to just get Nate to settle the F down and clear his head. Maybe the coaches to trust Mansell yet either, Idk.

He is a fine QB. He played great in the 4th quarter. I blame the final interception on the idiotic play call. Just run the f....ing ball down there. What a horrible call by Ferentz.

Penn State is a terrific team, and yet we should have won the game. JUST RUN THE BALL IN FROM THE 3 YARD LINE. MY GOD WHAT A CALL BY BRAIN DEAD FERENTZ

He is a fine QB. He played great in the 4th quarter. I blame the final interception on the idiotic play call. Just run the f....ing ball down there. What a horrible call by Ferentz.

Penn State is a terrific team, and yet we should have won the game. JUST RUN THE BALL IN FROM THE 3 YARD LINE. MY GOD WHAT A CALL BY BRAIN DEAD FERENTZ

I'm not sure you can 100% take Stanley's back and call Ferentz brain dead. It wasn't Ferentz that overthrew TJ Hockenson when he didn't have a defender within 20 yards of him. That was a brilliant play call that the QB didnt execute.

Stanley has been given a lot more trust this year to do the right thing. So he assumes additional credit and blame as well. On that 1st and goal interception, Stanley should have called a timeout instead of rushing the snap with the play clock running out. He also rushed the throw to Young and overthrew him which led to the interception. If he would have looked up he would've seen that Fant didn't run his route. He could have thrown the ball away, or just run the ball up the middle, or thrown the ball at a receivers feet, or called a timeout. Instead he did the absolute worst possible thing you could do in that situation...try to force the ball into a tight window...and it got intercepted.

I'm not sure the correct answer is benching Stanley, but to say he deserves no blame is equally stupid.

It was not a good performance - he also doesn't seem to be real clutch in some of the bigger games on the road. Reminded me of the Wisci game last year, but he was actually better on Saturday. But, bench him? Serious LOL. Nate Stanley is one of the better QB's in the country and the #'s and his record bears that, Iowa is gonna ride or die with him til he exhaust his eligibility...as they should. Iowa lost a game to a good opponent on the road. It sucks, but even the top 25 polls still know that Iowa is good.

I know that HawkCentral is a competitor of HN but Mark Emmert's article "Hawkeyes' offensive line looks to rebound" provides quite a few examples where the offensive line let the team down as well. After reading that article, my opinion changed a little bit. Stanley wasn't the only player on offense that had a bad day. Bottom line is I hope the whole team learns from this experience and improves by game time in Lafayette.

It's a team loss - it's a team sport. Iowa is a top 25 kind of team, they aren't top 10 or a play off contender. Some people knew that way before Saturday. I can't explain it exactly, but some people pump up a team so hard and have such huge expectations, that the epic melt down crash is hard to witness. I expected Iowa to compete for a B1G West championship and win 9 or more games. I think it's still doable but they need to win Saturday.

Overall Nate has had some good games and some bad games. Saturday's was terrible. But I simply don't see the argument that you can't bench him. No one says he has to sit permanently. Just shut him down for the remainder of the game and bring him back the next week.

RBs cough up the ball...they come out.
WRs can't catch passes...they come out.
DBs blow assignments....next man in.
Repeated false starts on oline...next man in...well maybe not.

I simply don't see why a QB who is struggling to make even the simplest of throws is above coming out of the game. Is he the best QB on our roster? I'm guessing so. But I'll laugh if someone were to tell me that there wasn't a QB on the roster that couldn't have matched his performance on Saturday night. Sit him down. Next man in should get the chance to right the team and give him the reigns next game.

Latest posts