Howe: Hawkeyes Let Opportunity Pass Them By at Penn State

I think it is fair to say Stanley isn't a clutch Quarterback when the pressure is on, at least not at this point. I hope for his sake he doesn't let this shake his confidence, since he has made quite a bit of progress prior to this game.

I also think this coaching staff isn't all that great when they are under the gun. They had a chance to win this in spit of how Stanley was playing, and blew it.

Last edited:
Stanley seems overcoached and indecisive. He had been making progress but today was a real step backwards. At one point I just felt he needed a series off. I don't know if Peyton would have made a difference but Stanley needed to realize he wasn't going to always get a pass on poor play. Iowa needs Stanley to play well to have a shot to win the West which could still happen. But a Stanley who is agressive and attacking, taking shots downfield, making good decisions. Not the guy who played today.

NS had the deer in the headlights look he had v MSU, Wisconsin and Purdue last year. I saw BF trying to lighten the mood with him during the second half.

He gets himself wound so tight sometimes. Kid has a lot of talent when he just plays loose. Maybe this is just part of his maturation process but I thought he’d be beyond this.

Part of leadership is making difficult decisions that may be unpopular with some, but you are doing it for the benefit of the team or your cause.

Kirk has a history of not being able to do this.

Nate should have been benched for awhile at least. Something was not right with him.

This was so obvious. To everyone. Kirk failed the team. Why is he afraid to pull a struggling qb?

On the one hand we went into a tough environment, failed to score a offensive TD, gave up thirty points, and still had a shot to win.

On the other hand it was not one, but a series of preposterous physical and mental gaffes that cost us a game for the second time this year.

PSU fans were talking trash saying we hadn't beat anyone with a pulse, the West is weak, all that crap.

We had a golden opportunity to shove it down their throats and let it slip away.

Hockanson will never be so open again in his life.

I have to chuckle when I see Kirk in interviews tell everyone how he has had multiple opportunities to coach in the NFL.

IMO Kirk would have failed miserably at that level and tonight how he handled his qb is just one glaring example. He just doesn't have the make up for how serious shit is at that level. Oline coach is a lot different than head coach. Deep down I suspect Kirk knew.

The only question I have is would it have been the media or the fans or the ownership that ran him back to college?

Two ways to look at today's game. Wouldn't he have been doing Stanley a favor by sitting him for a couple of series to see if he couldn't calm him down? And where is our qb guru? In the press box? Helping the qb? or the OC?

If you're not past stage fright as a college junior, you're never going to be beyond stage fright. You either have to only play games that don't involve big expectations or, as Kirk is so happy to say (unless it involves QBs), next man up.

On the one hand we went into a tough environment, failed to score a offensive TD, gave up thirty points, and still had a shot to win.

On the other hand it was not one, but a series of preposterous physical and mental gaffes that cost us a game for the second time this year.

PSU fans were talking trash saying we hadn't beat anyone with a pulse, the West is weak, all that crap.

We had a golden opportunity to shove it down their throats and let it slip away.

Hockanson will never be so open again in his life.

Dude, they had boys repeatedly raped in their locker room showers and systematically covered it up. If those sick fks ever talk shit, just remind them that their institution is synonymous with child rape.

And always, always will be.

F Penn State (before they F your kids.)

PedoState--SHIRT--SPG.jpg

If you're not past stage fright as a college junior, you're never going to be beyond stage fright. You either have to only play games that don't involve big expectations or, as Kirk is so happy to say (unless it involves QBs), next man up.

Superbingo.jpg

Ergo, he must sit.

He's a serviceable backup.

I have to chuckle when I see Kirk in interviews tell everyone how he has had multiple opportunities to coach in the NFL.

IMO Kirk would have failed miserably at that level and tonight how he handled his qb is just one glaring example. He just doesn't have the make up for how serious shit is at that level. Oline coach is a lot different than head coach. Deep down I suspect Kirk knew.

The only question I have is would it have been the media or the fans or the ownership that ran him back to college?

Two ways to look at today's game. Wouldn't he have been doing Stanley a favor by sitting him for a couple of series to see if he couldn't calm him down? And where is our qb guru? In the press box? Helping the qb? or the OC?
Dude, your posts have been spot on all night. Kudos.

Latest posts