Wow. Fran must be feeling some heat for missing out on DJ

If that’s the the case though, the question would be why didn’t he pursue a transfer this year? We have JBo/Cmac/Dailey/C.J. this year, and we are slated to have JBo/Cmac/Dailey/C.J. next year....

I wish he would have, I've been on record saying that since last year- but honestly, can't speak to the reason because I don't know. It would be easy to just call him lazy or not open to transfers, but he sees kids transfer out and probably understands that situation better then any of us. Maybe they did. Maybe there wasn't a right fit? Maybe there wasn't interests since a lot of transfers have limited eligibility in years and a HS player is a better fit for the roster right now? I don't know the answer nor will I pretend to. IMO, the only thing I will speak to about it is - GOOD, I am glad he's offering PG's for 19.

I wish he would have, I've been on record saying that since last year- but honestly, can't speak to the reason because I don't know. It would be easy to just call him lazy or not open to transfers, but he sees kids transfer out and probably understands that situation better then any of us. Maybe they did. Maybe there wasn't a right fit? Maybe there wasn't interests since a lot of transfers have limited eligibility in years and a HS player is a better fit for the roster right now? I don't know the answer nor will I pretend to. IMO, the only thing I will speak to about it is - GOOD, I am glad he's offering PG's for 19.
I’m okay with the offers, I’ll have to watch some of the highlights to judge more on these kids. I’m still holding out hope we can get one of our top targets but odds are against us. A class of Pat and one of these kids doesn’t inspire me much though.

The whole process here is a little strange though right. So we went all in on D.J. but Fran and company continued to maintain that we didn’t “need” a PG we were just going for the best player available (easy to see with our offers). Then we miss on D.J. and they say well we’re not sure if we will go for a PG or not, maybe a transfer after the year or focus on 2020. Then they go out an evaluate guys and end up offering 3 PGs which would make it seems as though it now is a position of need. Point being we should have been in on PGs for a longer period of time if it was a position we needed in this class, knowing that D.J. wasn’t a for sure thing. Maybe @lightning1 is on to something here or maybe they just really like these 3 PGs, hard to say.

It doesn't make a lot of sense from a fans stand point who is following along at home. I will agree. I just have no issues with them going out and offering PG's and I this is what I would expect to happen after missing out on your #1 target. I think Iowa felt like they had a good shot with DJ, and they didn't. Him telling Iowa when he did, allows them to do what they are doing now in hopes of landing someone they evaluate and like late in the process.

The last question would be the scholarship situation. Technically we only have two, however with Pat we have some flexibility. I think the coaches know that Cook is gone after this year. I hope we sign 3 players in this class.

It sounds like Iowa isn't doing to well with the other high profile recruits. His son might be looking forward to playing baseball too. If Fran was confident in landing some of these four and five star recruits he has been involved with, I doubt he would be that enchanted with the point guards for this year. It could be that I don't know what I'm talking about too.

Lol,

Diamonds in the rough happen, but you aren't going to improve on JBo and Conner with a guy in the 250+ range. No way they are better than those guys.

no maybe not, but like I said, you see good 1's and 2's at schools all over in smaller conferences that you have to believe would be competing for playing time if they went to Iowa in it's current situation. There are kids in the Summit and Horizon league that would play for Iowa in it's current set up. I'm not saying start over Jordan or Connor, but give depth and give more options and looks to throw at teams. Also, if you get them in HS, you can develop em. Look at the Loyola PG last season (who was white I am pretty sure and I know that matters so to some around here) - he couldn't have been more then a 3 star, maybe a 2? He'd probably play at Iowa but likely didn't have any offers close to that.

Diamonds in the rough happen, but you aren't going to improve on JBo and Conner with a guy in the 250+ range. No way they are better than those guys.

They may not be better but they are quicker and more athletic. I know you can't depend on videos to determine how good they are but you can at least see that they have more quicks and athleticism than JBo and Connor.

You could surmise that they have the potential to be better on defense with said advantages in quicks and athleticism.
And we know how much we need that around here.

no maybe not, but like I said, you see good 1's and 2's at schools all over in smaller conferences that you have to believe would be competing for playing time if they went to Iowa in it's current situation. There are kids in the Summit and Horizon league that would play for Iowa in it's current set up. I'm not saying start over Jordan or Connor, but give depth and give more options and looks to throw at teams. Also, if you get them in HS, you can develop em. Look at the Loyola PG last season (who was white I am pretty sure and I know that matters so to some around here) - he couldn't have been more then a 3 star, maybe a 2? He'd probably play at Iowa but likely didn't have any offers close to that.
Clayton Custer went to Iowa State originally and had offers from Kansas State and Oklahoma State as well.

Clayton Custer went to Iowa State originally and had offers from Kansas State and Oklahoma State as well.

Bad example I guess, I just meant, he wasn't a real prized recruit I honestly just looked him up cause I remember him playing well in the tourney. Had no idea he started at ISU, funny. That said, there are TONS of quality at the lower level that rise to the top of their respective conference every season, let's hope the staff has identified a couple of those guys who might be able to come in and at least bolster the depth.

Fran's profile for point guard recruiting has been dramatically different the last two years. While he hasn't pulled anyone in yet, one of these guys could be a great start. We need a water bug type, good handles, good penetrator that can play solid defense and distribute. Get one of these guys in 2019 and hopefully hit on another higher profile PG in 2020. We are then off and running boys.

I'm sure they are. Their futures depend on it. But these recruits are fall backs to plan B. Plain and simple. Dante Eldridge is at least as good as these guys and he's right in Fran's back yard.

or they could be better than the original fall back plan B. and fran and staff are always working hard. my previous comment was not to suggest they don't work hard. my point is that they have been all over the country, the last 3 weeks, looking at players they hadn't necessarily seen before, and that helps to explain the new offers.

or they could be better than the original fall back plan B. and fran and staff are always working hard. my previous comment was not to suggest they don't work hard. my point is that they have been all over the country, the last 3 weeks, looking at players they hadn't necessarily seen before, and that helps to explain the new offers.
The only thing that explains the new offers is: Fran failed to recruit a difference maker at the PG position, once again. He went all in on a guy he never had a chance to land. That's the only part of this conversation that matters. I work hard to get Selma Hayek to go out on a date with me, every day. I have the same amount of success to show for my efforts as Fran does. But hey.....we both work really hard at our failures.

The only thing that explains the new offers is: Fran failed to recruit a difference maker at the PG position, once again. He went all in on a guy he never had a chance to land. That's the only part of this conversation that matters. I work hard to get Selma Hayek to go out on a date with me, every day. I have the same amount of success to show for my efforts as Fran does. But hey.....we both work really hard at our failures.

come on, lightning1, we here on hawkeyenation.com don't consider you a failure. the glass is half full.

Bad example I guess, I just meant, he wasn't a real prized recruit I honestly just looked him up cause I remember him playing well in the tourney. Had no idea he started at ISU, funny. That said, there are TONS of quality at the lower level that rise to the top of their respective conference every season, let's hope the staff has identified a couple of those guys who might be able to come in and at least bolster the depth.

Custer had offers from ISU, KSU, OSU, and was a top 150 recruit. He actually was a pretty highly recruited kid.

Latest posts