Wirfs Arrested

He will be dismissed from the team, forced to scrape bubblegum off the undersides of every desk on campus, and be required to chip-seal Kirk's gravel lane leading to his house.

Seriously, will he get three games then be thrown to the wolves against Wisconsin?

Who's the next man up? This could be the beginning of a lost season for Wirfs. To do this on the heels of Reiff's incident?

I'm not going to be the moral police and say he shouldn't have been drinking underage. I was once a college student myself.

But there is ZERO excuse for driving drunk. Zero. There are a hundred better ways to get home if you need a ride. Your vehicle will be there in the morning.

Bottom line. These guys need to get into preseason practices yesterday and start concentrating on other things.

Even Dan Gable once had to ban downtown Iowa City for a while. There wrestlers were causing too much trouble, getting drunk, and even had a near altercation with Ed Horton and company in front the old FieldHouse nightclub one time.

Last edited:
Leadership starts at the top...
He did lead. He gave another player a one game suspension for a relatively innocuous incident. He can't babysit over 100 players simultaneously every weekend. He set a precedent that alcohol related trouble in downtown Iowa City would not be tolerated and would be punished. Now a far worse incident has happened. The players have to lead themselves once in a while. And use better judgement. And be cognizant of the possible consequences for their actions. This may reshuffle over half our offensive line and probably for multiple games. And they've got five weeks to straighten it out.

Kirk should pay to have Matt Foley give a motivational speech to his team

Reiff never should have been suspended. He tried to do the right thing by calling an Uber, and the cops being cops "protected and served" by punishing him anyways. Wirfs will likely get one game even though an OWI is obviously much worse than public intox.

But there is ZERO excuse for driving drunk. Zero. There are a hundred better ways to get home if you need a ride. Your vehicle will be there in the morning.

FWIW, the law for underage OWI in Iowa is anything 0.02 or over. So it's entirely possible he had one beer, was entirely sober, and got screwed. Probably not, but it's possible.

That said, I agree he should have never put himself or his teammates in that situation. It seems like there may be a bad culture/lack of focus that could be more pervasive among the senior class on the heels of Snyder's OWI. When was the last time we had 2 starters in one calendar year out with OWI's?

If Reiff got 1 game for not driving, how many does he get for driving and being 19?

Reiff never should have been suspended. He tried to do the right thing by calling an Uber, and the cops being cops "protected and served" by punishing him anyways. Wirfs will likely get one game even though an OWI is obviously much worse than public intox.

Oh plz just stop about Reiff. At .2 plus you dont really do the right thing. You just do until you cant. Besides did he contact Uber ir did he just assume in his state.

I would guess Mark Kallenberger gets the start at RT vs. NIU.
I like him and this could be his opportunity. I like this better than moving a guard over or moving Jackson back over, either of which will reshuffle the whole OL.

We already have a new center moving over from guard. We don't need to do any more shuffling.

Latest posts