Bowl game NOT coming to Wrigley Field in 2020

any bowl game now not in the playoff is a participation trophy. And Miller says no one wanted to go last year, well it was in freaking NYC!! Just a fer piece from Iowa and off the charts expensive! Iowans don't get scared by cold. Just toss that damn argument out. What we think sucks is when it is a crap bowl and the season went so-so, that is really what impacts attendance.

If a bowl game has to happen in the cold north, why not a dome? Why not Minneapolis or Detroit or Indy? Why an outdoor baseball stadium in Chicago?

Hell, Chicago already has Soldier Field that could host a bowl game. Also they have a MLS soccer stadium that has nearly perfect stands and dimensions for football and holds 20,000 people...more than would ever attend this crapfest anyway.

There will be 43 bowl games by 2020, where 65% of the teams will be in one. Is that because the "everyone deserves a trophy" attitude that's overtaken our country, greed, or both?

But the good news is that Kirk or Brian will just need to get to 5-7 to make a a bowl game. So there's that.
I think I read somewhere that the Pac whatever it is will not allow any team under 6 wins play in a bowl game. I believe every conference should follow suit.

You may be right, but I still don't get the point. I look at that image the same way I looked at the Pinstripe bowl...so many terrible seats and viewing angles. Not to mention Wrigley is notorious for obstructed views and steel beams in your face.

If you sat right behind home plate you wouldn't be able to see anything happening at all. The 50-yard line seats would be facing the corner endzone so you'd get a neck cramp turning your head all game. I remember watching Twins games at the old Metrodome and it was the same thing
Wrigley's last renovation project will be under way this fall and it includes the stands behind the plate. Don't know how extensive it'll be.

any bowl game now not in the playoff is a participation trophy. And Miller says no one wanted to go last year, well it was in freaking NYC!! Just a fer piece from Iowa and off the charts expensive! Iowans don't get scared by cold. Just toss that damn argument out. What we think sucks is when it is a crap bowl and the season went so-so, that is really what impacts attendance.
If it's for a game that matters is how I'd preface that. It was a participation trophy who gives a shit about it bowl game and they expected our fan base to pony up NYC travel costs to then freeze their butts off for to attend... Yeah there's no wonder barely the parents of the kids playing are who went.
Chicago we won't have the distance to worry about with this but it's a familiar place. These players get to go there twice a career to play as it is. I can't see how playing in a baseball stadium out in the freezing cold matters to the players or fans.

I think I read somewhere that the Pac whatever it is will not allow any team under 6 wins play in a bowl game. I believe every conference should follow suit.

If every conference followed suit there wouldn't be enough teams to fill up all the bowls. That would be problematic.

If every conference followed suit there wouldn't be enough teams to fill up all the bowls. That would be problematic.
It sure would help bring back relevance to the bowl games and who cares if they need to drop some. I really can't believe they make any thing off of those 5 win teams. Maybe a fan base like the fuskers swarm to a dump bowl because they are after all contenders. Lol

The bowl games are for the fans and the players.

I love the bowls. Iowa actually has an ADVANTAGE playing teams in colder weather venues.

I would have no problem with a 7-5 Iowa team playing at Wrigley in Chicago. Chicago is great.

I draw the line at 6-6. I don't think 6-6 football teams should be rewarded.

I recollect that the 2006 Iowa team went to a bowl at 6-6. That was in the Alamo Bowl, and was a terrific game against Texas that Iowa almost won.

There will be 43 bowl games by 2020, where 65% of the teams will be in one. Is that because the "everyone deserves a trophy" attitude that's overtaken our country, greed, or both?

But the good news is that Kirk or Brian will just need to get to 5-7 to make a a bowl game. So there's that.
Iowa State in 1976 under Earle Bruce went 8-3 and was probably one the top fifteen teams in the nation. But they only tied for fourth in a loaded Big Eight conference. There were only around fourteen, fifteen bowl games then and the clones got shut out when the lost to Oklahoma State the final week and Nebraska got Iowa State's bowl. Note, Iowa State had just beat Nebraska by forcing something like eleven turnovers.

At least the bowl teams will be able to use both ends of the field now that some renovations have been made. Unlike that Illinois Northwestern game a few years ago.

I've used this line before, but I will say it again ... I would rather go to a proctologist with a depth perception problem and fat fingers than go to a bowl game above the Mason Dixon line in late December to watch two 6-6 teams in a baseball stadium.

Did the B1G not learn anything from the ice capades at the Pinstripe Bowl last year? If that game was not unsafe enough for the players health, let's throw in a field surrounded by brick walls. S-T-U-P-I-D idea Delaney.

Last edited:
I've used this line before, but I will say it again ... I would rather go to a proctologist with a depth perception problem and fat fingers than go to a bowl game above the Mason Dixon line in late December to watch two 6-6 teams in a baseball stadium.

Did the B1G not learn anything from the ice capades at the Pinstripe Bowl last year? If that game was not unsafe enough for the players health, let's throw in a field surrounded by brick walls. S-T-U-P-I-D idea Delaney.
I get the brick wall concept but you know wherever you play or what sport you play there's always something that jumps out in the way. One only needs to remember the clown game in basketball last year. Who would of thought someone could rip their leg wide open during a game? I think the brick wall has been addressed and it looks fairly safe. With that said I'm not OSHA certified.

we should have a bowl game in minneapolis, cleveland, indianapolis, fargo, erie, buffalo. am i missing any really nice cold weather cities? why the hell would you want to go to a place where its hot and has water and beaches? that isn't iowa!

we should have a bowl game in minneapolis, cleveland, indianapolis, fargo, erie, buffalo. am i missing any really nice cold weather cities? why the hell would you want to go to a place where its hot and has water and beaches? that isn't iowa!
There's just way to many bowl games but I for one don't care about the beaches and water. I do care about freezing my ancient ass off though!

As long as they can get a TV contract...every bowl will survive. The moment the organizers can't get it on TV, that's when that bowl will cease to exist.

Reading comprehension: it does a prole some good

Here, maybe this will help.
images

Time to let every BB team into the NCAA tournament and institute a bowl for all Div-1 FB teams.

What the hell, why not?

Latest posts