Jon's new article

really? Joe Wieskamp is nominated for the McDonald's All American team. I missed where Jok was that type of recruit.

Ok, he is a good recruit. He is not Trae Young. He isn't senior level Peter Jok. And just a note: Being nominated for a McDAA game doesn't mean anything. There are a ton of players nominated. You could be the 400th ranked recruit and someone could nominate you.

Jok was nominated for the McDonald's All American team along with like 500 other kids every year. Anyone can nominate a player that's why we had 5 players in our state nominated when there are only two good recruits.

I stand corrected. I thought I heard he was like a finalist or something...I know they just announced the team

Again, 3 dance visits in 8 years.
The "next year" debates are the successful attempt by the apologists to take everyone's eyes off the elephant in the room.
EDIT: even if Iowa made the dance next year that would be 4 in 9 years, with none of them progressing past the first weekend. FAIL

Jok was nominated for the McDonald's All American team along with like 500 other kids every year. Anyone can nominate a player that's why we had 5 players in our state nominated when there are only two good recruits.
Jok had a major injury too. If he would have been healthy he would have been an MCD all American.

The last minute last night is why I'm ready to move on. I think it's perfectly fine to have down years (even if it does happen in a coach's 8th sesson). But this team quits like nothing I've ever seen from a D1 team. If this team wasn't full of quitters when the going gets tough, we would be having a down year and still be on the bubble. Instead we are the worst team in the conference by a wide margin.
The main reason we went on a 9-0 run was because of Jbo on offense and how hard Dailey was working on defense. When he made the subs that defied logic it started their 12-0 run. It almost looks like he is trying to lose on purpose when he makes these odd subs

Fran couldn't even have a conversation with Uthoff when he decided to transfer. If you can't talk to a recruit how can you say you landed them?

He recruited him in high school so Uthoff knew him from then. He always wanted to be a hawk but we sucked too bad for him. As soon as we got better, he decided he would rather pay money to play for Fran than play for Fred for free. Also it's not against rules to talk to old high school friends who happened to be on the team.

Ok, he is a good recruit. He is not Trae Young. He isn't senior level Peter Jok. And just a note: Being nominated for a McDAA game doesn't mean anything. There are a ton of players nominated. You could be the 400th ranked recruit and someone could nominate you.

cool... I was incorrect. When I am wrong I openly admit it. I never claim to be all knowing basketball guy. Sorry @Fryowa.

He recruited him in high school so Uthoff knew him from then. He always wanted to be a hawk but we sucked too bad for him. As soon as we got better, he decided he would rather pay money to play for Fran than play for Fred for free. Also it's not against rules to talk to old high school friends who happened to be on the team.

I never said he didn't know Fran or he didn't know the players on the team I just said Fran couldn't recruit him when he transferred so you have to be pretty dense to say Fran deserves credit for landing someone he couldn't even talk to.

So, do they lose their best player this year?

Are you saying we have a coach where a single player determines our season? Wouldn't it be better to have a coach who can create depth . . . you know, in case a player gets hurt or graduates?

I'm waiting for the "we're Iowa, we shouldn't expect depth" bromide.

I never said he didn't know Fran or he didn't know the players on the team I just said Fran couldn't recruit him when he transferred so you have to be pretty dense to say Fran deserves credit for landing someone he couldn't even talk to.

You have to be pretty dense to think that the coach and program had nothing to do with his decision.

Are you saying we have a coach where a single player determines our season? Wouldn't it be better to have a coach who can create depth . . . you know, in case a player gets hurt or graduates?

I'm waiting for the "we're Iowa, we shouldn't expect depth" bromide.

I think in college basketball if you have 1 standout player from each class you're a top 25 team. When you miss completely on classes (like our current jr and sr class) and all the talent is young, undeveloped and inexperienced, you have what we're going through. Iowa should expect depth. But every program has role players. I think Iowa has depth, they don't have any upper class players worth a F tho.

Yeah, I wasn't positing it as a real possibility. But you picked up on the thrust of it. In the last 20 years Iowa's highlight was a sweet 16 run. With Izzo I'm guessing we have at least half a dozen of those with a couple final 4s thrown into the bargain.
Coaches matter.

Coaches matter, but what would Izzo really have done at Iowa? Look at Izzo's star players and where they were born. Let me know if you notice any pattern:

Mateen Cleaves - born in Flint, Michigan
Draymond Green - born in Saginaw, Michigan
Kalin Lucas - born in Sterling Heights, Michigan
Keith Appling - born in Detroit, Michigan
Miles Bridges - born in Flint, Michigan
Jason Richardson - born in Saginaw, Michigan
Denzel Valentine - born in Lansing, Michigan
Deyonta Davis - born in Muskegon, Michigan

Payne, Gary Harris, Zach Randolph were born in the Indiana/Ohio area....aka Detroit's backyard

Izzo is a great coach who has been great at convincing Michigan's best players to play for him. He gets an A+ for that.

So at Iowa he would convince Iowa's best players to play for him....which Fran already does...

Fran is just not a very good coach. I'm not sure how anyone could argue otherwise at this point. He had moderate success with a legacy recruit, and a really talented group of kids from Iowa. Even those teams collapsed at the end of the year. The 2 NCAA tournament wins he has were simply due to good draws. If we want to be mediocre at best, then by all means, keep Fran. I want something better. There has to be better coaches out there.

The last 20 years under Izzo (his first 2 years were NIT 2nd Round):

Round Reached:
1st --- 4
2nd --- 3
16 --- 4
8 --- 2
4 --- 5
RU --- 1
NC --- 1

Never missed a tournament.

Oh, and 6 B1G titles, and 4 B1G Tournament titles.

Only 4 B1G Tournament titles? What a loser, Alford won 2 in less than half the time Izzo has been at MSU:p

Stop the personal attacks while I personally attack you. haha. He's right though, don't be that guy. I've been there too. We can have conversation that's civil, we're all supposed to be Iowa fans right?

Jon do you really expect next year's team to be a Tournament team? If the answer to that is no it makes more sense to rip the band-aid off now.

Right now, I am not sure what to expect from them. That said, if they are not in the NCAA next year, Fran's seat has warmth to it...since I am not the AD, I do not control the thermostat, but that would definitely shake my confidence in the direction.

Stop the personal attacks while I personally attack you. haha. He's right though, don't be that guy. I've been there too. We can have conversation that's civil, we're all supposed to be Iowa fans right?

Agreed. Its a message board and absolutely no fun if we all share the same opinion, but we can disagree without making it personal.