Jon's new article

Yeah, I wasn't positing it as a real possibility. But you picked up on the thrust of it. In the last 20 years Iowa's highlight was a sweet 16 run. With Izzo I'm guessing we have at least half a dozen of those with a couple final 4s thrown into the bargain.
Coaches matter.
The last 20 years under Izzo (his first 2 years were NIT 2nd Round):

Round Reached:
1st --- 4
2nd --- 3
16 --- 4
8 --- 2
4 --- 5
RU --- 1
NC --- 1

Never missed a tournament.

Oh, and 6 B1G titles, and 4 B1G Tournament titles.

This isn't the first bad year. In year 3 they didn't even make the tournament. Give him the first two years bc of how bad they were. That still means he has 2 tournament wins in 6 years and only gets to the tournament half the time. And this year is really really bad. I don't see how they make the tournament next year either with the same team.

The last 20 years under Izzo (his first 2 years were NIT 2nd Round):

Round Reached:
1st --- 4
2nd --- 3
16 --- 4
8 --- 2
4 --- 5
RU --- 1
NC --- 1

Never missed a tournament.

Izzo improved on the foundation that preceded him. I'm sure Dollar Bob was hoping for the same lightning strike with Alford. Sadly, the gamble didn't pay off. And the lesson for too many in the fanbase (and Bowlsby/Barta) was this . . .

Dude, JoBo on most other teams would be a killer player. You exaggerate or are stupid. If I was Cook and considering leaving one way or another I'd start playing to be injury free. If a coach can't do better than this, I'm not going to risk.
I'd like JBo if he was 6'3. His size hurts him too much. The other guards can score on him anytime they want. We need better players. JBo is a nice player just not the type we need to compete for Big Ten titles

after they announce the transfer... we're talking in circles here
It's usually known to some degree that a kid's going to transfer. After the release is signed then the phone calls and visits start. Same as recruiting normally happens only a shorter time frame.

So if there are known or strongly suspected graduate PGs transferring, FM and his staff would (should) be on top of it right away. They're way more in the know than we are in internetville so it'd be a huge surprise if they don't have several in mind. With basketball you have the added monkey wrench that really good talent doesn't normally grad transfer without something external driving it. They try to go pro unless it's some freak of nature who all the sudden blooms in his junior or senior year. But then the blue bloods pick those litters, not Iowa.

So every kid that transfers to be closer to home doesn't count, which is a HUGE #. Gotcha. ISU was in a much better place then Iowa at the time. Why didn't he go play for Fred?

He didn't just choose Fran over Fred, he chose to pay for a year to play for Fran instead of playing for Fred for free.

I wouldn't necessarily consider it giving Fran a pass on this season, but he gets at least next season to turn it around, IMO. If we miss the tourney 3 straight seasons though? He has to go, right? How can you justify keeping him around after that? And unless we magically land a PG for next season, I don't foresee this team making the tourney next year, not with how they've looked.

Fans like me that cheer for them every night, look forward all week to when they play their next game, go to games and stand and cheer despite who is sitting behind me. Someone that yells at the TV when things are going wrong and puts my heart into it. That’s the type of fan I am. I wish we’d be good every year just like you. But I realize the chances of it happening are slim to none

You're a crappy fan and guys who just get mad online and think they made a difference are the food ones.

I am most content as a fan when Iowa FB and BB is watchable and not embarrassingly incompetent and boring...and there is a sense of hope for what might be...but isn't yet.

Not working that well right now...

really? Joe Wieskamp is nominated for the McDonald's All American team. I missed where Jok was that type of recruit.

Jok was nominated for the McDonald's All American team along with like 500 other kids every year. Anyone can nominate a player that's why we had 5 players in our state nominated when there are only two good recruits.

Latest posts