Kirk Ferentz: Living Legend

Like Ferentz, will be nostalgic when he is gone someday, BUT, not one major category can anyone say he did better than Fry, AND:
1. Fry had significantly less LOSSES than KF. We can’t just look at wins and ignore losses and W %
2. As John points out, Fry has many more AP poll rankings.
3. Fry utterly dominated the in state ISU rivalry. KF has been below average in that rivalry.
4. KF has not just lost more games, he has lost many games to clearly inferior teams. More embarrassing losses.
5. In the Big Ten, oranges don’t compare with roses.

Last edited:
We play 12 games. Fry era we played 11. Over 20 years, that’s 20 more games you can win. All that matters is Winning Percentage.

Ferentz has only coached in 2 more games at this point in the same amount of years. You'd know that if you read any comments on this very thread instead of just running a narrative that you have absolutely NO intentions of looking at fairly with an unbiased eye. When Fry coached, ISU, WISC and NW were all doormats as well. There literally is no use. I am also not saying Ferentz is better then Fry, just...be some what subjective about it... be a little fair. Just an ounce of objectivity is all I ask for.

Ferentz has only coached in 2 more games at this point in the same amount of years. You'd know that if you read any comments on this very thread instead of just running a narrative that you have absolutely NO intentions of looking at fairly with an unbiased eye. When Fry coached, ISU, WISC and NW were all doormats as well. There literally is no use. I am also not saying Ferentz is better then Fry, just...be some what subjective about it... be a little fair. Just an ounce of objectivity is all I ask for.
Well, if we're looking for objectivity, we should mention how KF played more FCS opponents and HF played more P5 opponents.... Right?

Well, if we're looking for objectivity, we should mention how KF played more FCS opponents and HF played more P5 opponents.... Right?

sure... If you say that's true, I tend to believe it cause I know who I'm dealing with. HF played his share of FCS too wouldn't you say? And do you think UNI was the same program they were then that they are now? How about South Dakota State? How about WI, Northwestern or ISU?

True. Fry will always have the edge, for many reason beyond just w/l. That said, all in all, both will be HOF.

Also, 20 years ago, the bottom of the P5 was likely worse than the top of the FCS today.

All in all...HF and KF are at the very least, overall, in the same conversation. The rest is details and generational differences.

HF is still legend. I'm not quite ready to put KF there, but he's in the ballpark.

Jon
You and I have known each other for a long time, from the boards to selling your dad tickets to sit with me at several Iowa games. You have penned no finer an article. People need to realize what a great man Kirk is. My daughter dated Adrian for a long time and I can tell you what an impact Kirk has on his players. A great family man that personafies our Iowa values.

The term 'living legend' gets tossed around a lot. For me a 'living legend' must inspire people & leave near unattainable legacies. In my opinion, Kirk Ferentz has done these things & is a living legend. Oh, and he is a good football coach, too. Column:

https://www.hawkeyenation.com/football/kirk-ferentz-is-in-a-league-of-his-own

sure... If you say that's true, I tend to believe it cause I know who I'm dealing with. HF played his share of FCS too wouldn't you say? And do you think UNI was the same program they were then that they are now? How about South Dakota State? How about WI, Northwestern or ISU?
Fry only played 3 FCS teams (Drake '85 , UNI '95 & '97)

UNI won their conference in 1995 and finished 2nd in their conference in 1997.

Ferentz has played 9 FCS teams (UNI '05, '09, '12, & '14) (Eastern Illinois '10, Tennessee Tech '11, Missouri St '13, Illinois St '15, ND St '16)
Note: it will be 10 FCS teams after next year.

UNI won their conference in 2005, finished 3rd in 2009, finished 6th in 2012, finished 3rd in 2014)

It's arguable that UNI was a better team overall when Fry played them versus when Ferentz played them.

Fry never beat any P 5 teams.
giphy.gif

Like Ferentz, will be nostalgic when he is gone someday, BUT, not one major category can anyone say he did better than Fry, AND:
1. Fry had significantly less LOSSES than KF. We can’t just look at wins and ignore losses and W %
2. As John points out, Fry has many more AP poll rankings.
3. Fry utterly dominated the in state ISU rivalry. KF has been below average in that rivalry.
4. KF has not just lost more games, he has lost many games to clearly inferior teams. More embarrassing losses.
5. In the Big Ten, oranges don’t compare with roses.

I dont think anyone is beating the band to say Ferentz > Fry

Fry only played 3 FCS teams (Drake '85 , UNI '95 & '97)

UNI won their conference in 1995 and finished 2nd in their conference in 1997.

Ferentz has played 9 FCS teams (UNI '05, '09, '12, & '14) (Eastern Illinois '10, Tennessee Tech '11, Missouri St '13, Illinois St '15, ND St '16)
Note: it will be 10 FCS teams after next year.

UNI won their conference in 2005, finished 3rd in 2009, finished 6th in 2012, finished 3rd in 2014)

It's arguable that UNI was a better team overall when Fry played them versus when Ferentz played them.

Cool. Easy to admit it, Fry played less FCS opponents. Sounds like he played a good UNI team too. Fry definitely has him there. I just feel like, and maybe I am wrong, I can freely admit that, but the FCS as a whole seems much different now then it was back in the day when the big schools used to hoard the states best players and had bigger rosters. I feel like a lot of those kids now go to smaller schools instead. Again, not acting like I know dick about it, just how it appears.

Great Read.. I've said this many times fans can whine and complain all they wish about KF, but KF will leave Iowa on his terms and whenever he wants. He has earned that right!!

and it's a technicality guys... FRY didn't beat P5 schools cause they weren't called that back the day am i right?

Latest posts