unhappy with this season ? whine here

It’s ok to be wrong buddy, just don’t be so sensitive when someone points out you were wrong. Be a man and admit you can’t count to two.
It's ok to be a KF fanboy. Just admit you think your so-called 2nd in the B1G West is a great accomplishment. Be a man and admit you love being the most under achieving disappointment in the entire conference.

It’s ok to be wrong buddy, just don’t be so sensitive when someone points out you were wrong. Be a man and admit you can’t count to two.
I know it's difficult to understand when KF is your god. But try and comprehend this:
Wisconsin 9-0 (they beat Iowa)
Northwestern 7-2 (they beat Iowa)
Purdue 4-5 (they beat Iowa)
Iowa 4-5 (they only beat the teams below them in the standings)
Nebraska 3-6
Minnesota 2-7
illinois 0-9

A team that scores 55 points vs Ohio State should be embarrassed....beyond words....losing to Purdue at home...gaining 60 total yards vs Wisconsin....and other listless...heartless performances....hideous coaching....leadership...and results....it would be a reason for mass firings at places like Wisconsin and other high functioning programs which see 7-5 as puke on a floor...

if we'd had a consistent offense with a heartbeat, I'd argue 11 wins. We just got our asses kicked by WUs, no other way to look at that one. But everything else being equal...could have been 11 wins. so this season is a prime example of ultra conservative kirky too afraid to be aggressive. the more i think about this, the angrier i get.

Last edited:
WEST W L PCT PF PA W L PCT PF PA HOME AWAY STRK TOP 25
Wisconsin X 9 0 1.000 257 145 12 0 1.000 418 144 7-0 5-0 W12 2-0
Northwestern 7 2 .778 224 205 9 3 .750 356 238 6-1 3-2 W7 1-2
Purdue 4 5 .444 183 173 6 6 .500 290 232 4-2 2-3 W2 0-3
Iowa 4 5 .444 241 181 7 5 .583 340 239 5-2 2-3 W1 1-2
Nebraska 3 6 .333 214 338 4 8 .333 309 437 2-5 2-3 L4 0-3
Minnesota 2 7 .222 166 250 5 7 .417 265 274 4-3 1-4 L2 0-1
Illinois 0 9 .000 118 303 2 10 .167 185 378 2-5 0-5 L10 0-3
X

Since this post is about our own opinions...

We beat ISU in Ames when the Clowns actually put up a decent season for a chance. I don’t have to listen to them for another year. Iowa is still a Hawkeye state.

We beat the Goofs again and kept Floyd. I live in Minneapolis so I don’t have to listen to them for another year.

We kicked the snot our of Nebby. I go to Omaha & Lincoln regularly for work so I don’t have to listen to them for another year.

If someone had told me before the season began we would beat one of OSU or Wisky and beat the living $#@% out of them, would you be all in for that? YES, please sign me up. The fact it was OSU was soooooooo satisfying since I know plenty of OSU fans and I actually get a chance to rub it in not just for one year, but SEVERAL years until we play the next.

I don’t know any MSU, NW or Purdue fans. Really, how many have ever talked smack to you that you would ever really care about???

7-5? Sure I’d love to see 8-4, 9-3 or even better. But to sour on this season after everything this team has provided me in bragging rights for the next year? Absolutely not!

I know it's difficult to understand when KF is your god. But try and comprehend this:
Wisconsin 9-0 (they beat Iowa)
Northwestern 7-2 (they beat Iowa)
Purdue 4-5 (they beat Iowa)
Iowa 4-5 (they only beat the teams below them in the standings)
Nebraska 3-6
Minnesota 2-7
illinois 0-9
Huh? That has nothing to do with you not understanding that Northwestern came in second place. It’s ok you can’t count to two. I am trying to rationalize with an irrational person. Say it with me, Northwestern came in second at 7-2 with a THREE game lead on third.

I really had no clue what our record would be at the beginning of the season. There were so many questions.
I had high hopes. But was also feeling like we could be crap.
I guess in that sense they met my expectations. Because both of those things were realized this season.

After our 3-0 start, I saw things in a real bright light. I posted a thread that we would make the playoffs. yes, my hopes were high.

Then reality started to set in and we started playing like crap.

Such a roller coaster season. I really like this team. And it could have had such a better record. But the reality of our limitations in coaching really reared its ugle head.

So, my expectations were met.

Throw out 2015 and it seems like the damn years are all meshing the same anymore. F I would take 9-3 all the damn time!
I truly thought 8-4, 9-3 win 2 out of the four against whisky, sparty, bucks or nitty. Well we got one of those. I wasn't expecting a loss to Purdue and Nw. I guess since we're losing all the LB's I say next year will be 6-6! 7-5 would just be another normal KF season! 8-4 or higher not happening! It's good we play three pastys or we would never have winning records or just be 500 all the time! That's reality folks!

I'm not sure why anyone would be unhappy; this has been a very typical Kirk Ferentz season. 7-5 with one upset win and one loss (Purdue) that absolutely never should have happened. For the most part this is what we get with Ferentz. The real question is why that is still the acceptable expectation after 19 seasons.

Wisconsin has had 1 season with 7 or fewer wins in the last 14 seasons; Iowa has had 7. In addition, the Hawkeyes haven't won a bowl game since 2010 and are currently in the midst of a 5 game bowl losing streak.

I had this team at 9-3 heading into the season. When we lost Ike and Boone, I put us at 6-6. Teams that start two freshman tackles (one a true freshman who was bashing 180 pound DEs in high school the previous year) aren't going to do well in the Big Ten. Wisconsin, NW, and Purdue all have edge rushers that we struggled with. The way Alaric and Tristen played was actually way above my expectations and it shows we have recruited well the past few years. This is a huge positive for the future.

Iowa just had too many first year players or young players on offense. They all are going to make mistakes...and that's why you see the inconsistency everywhere....WRs / TEs / Tackles and QB. That's a ton of young players who have to execute. We just kept having one or two guys making mistakes, missing blocks, or dropping balls.

That being said...the future is bright. Kelly Martin is a stud, ISM is going to get better and stronger, Fant is a first round draft choice, Hockenson is a star in the making, and both tackles are going to be very high round draft choices. I also think Stanley is going to go down as one of the best to ever play at Iowa. First year starting, and he improved tremendously throughout the year. Think about all the drops this year or guys who didn't catch balls they should have. When he has time (think OSU) he will carve you up. He's going to be a pro...if he stays on track.

Honestly, to make pre-season predictions is silly. The typical fan of a typical fan base doesn't know enough about the other teams to accurately assess games. It's a snapshot static situation, more or less based on the eye test of the rosters and past reputations.

Once the season begins, it's fluid. Injuries occur, teams falter, teams over-achieve, suspensions occur, coaches get fired, miracle plays unfold, weather happens, etc etc.

I look back at 7-5, and knowing what I now know, we should have been 9-3. Taking all the above into account, we underachieved.

And with all due respect (I'm not typically a chat board flamer), but Jon, really, when you say you "expected" this team to go 6-6, thereby defending 7-5 as acceptable, sorry, that's weak sauce.

It's the "how" we played in the losses that matters. We underachieved.

Not necessary "unhappy", but disappointed and frustrated, very frustrated. The losses to NW and PU, and the offense(both execution and gameplan/playcalling) in those 2 games and the Wisky game(and also the MSU game), really put me on tilt more so than any time I can recall. While the huge wins against OSU and nebby helped, the Jekyll and Hyde act was brutal.

I'd happy trade the win against OSU for wins in 3 games we Should have won in MSU, NW, and PU.

Even without a West title, 9-3 would have felt pretty good. I'd add a better showing vs. Wisky, even in a competitive loss, would have given me a better feel like we are within shouting distance of them. As of now, it's Wisky...and everyone else in the West.

So yeah. Pretty Meh, maybe a little worse than "Meh. Frustrating.

7 wins is never a good year, but 7 wins this year, in retrospect, feels somehow less.

I was on the 7-8 win group prior to the year, after PSU I was feeling 8, after MSU 6-7, after OSU maybe 9, after Wisky 8, after Purdue 6.

Very odd year. Not in a overall good way.

I will say this is overall the most frustrating year i can recall, for multiple reasons. It's also the most down I've ever been on KF and the staff overall.

This is the most frustrating year you can recall? I guess you weren’t around for Chuck Hartlieb’s senior season when we had three ties.

We had so much coming back that year, and such a high ceiling. And then we had three ties. Enough said.

Reading through these comments helps me understand how Kirk can hang around for 20 years....

Well and the fact we are now only 2 years removed from a 12 wins season, which brought us to our 3rd BCS bowl game, and our 5th top 10 finish in his 19 years.

I mean was this season less that we wanted? Sure it was, but geez, some people on here forget the good KF seasons, and act like Hayden Fry never had these seasons:
5 wins, 4 wins, 6 wins, 5 wins, 5 wins, 6 wins, 5 wins, and 3 wins. Fry flat out missed bowl games in 6 season (and yes every one of his 6 wins season he made a bowl game).

With Ohio State, Penn State on the schedule along with at Wisconsin, at Iowa State, at MSU, and at Nebraska I had this team with a 8-4 ceiling with a 6-6 floor. I guess all in all they met my expectations but I'm not happy with how we got there. If you would have told me before the season we were going to throttle Ohio State and Nebraska I would have thought we had won 9 or 10 games.

Spot on!!

This is the most frustrating year you can recall? I guess you weren’t around for Chuck Hartlieb’s senior season when we had three ties.

We had so much coming back that year, and such a high ceiling. And then we had three ties. Enough said.

Thanks for bringing up those memories.

You jerk! :)

I remember, it was brutal. Time heals I guess, freshest pain wins.

Kirk's great seasons too often have ended in a non competitive bowl loss....exposing the smoke and mirrors schedule upon which the great season was based....not even in the game after five minutes...truth serum

Latest posts