Charlie Moore

Sounds as though Coach McCaffery is tired of being led on by Moore and the Chicago basketball mafia and has moved on.

According to who? Do you have a link or a source? Not being a jerk. Just honestly curious where you heard this.

As much as I'd love to have a taller back court with Williams Moss Fleming Ellington Jok (am I missing anyone it's nice having a young team) the next couple years I think Fran would love to have a traditional floor general of a PG to run the show if he could get one. He seems to love MG and if he could get a guy like Moore who's basically a quicker better shooter/scoring version of him he'd have an early role when (if) he comes.

I think Moore is probably scared of competing with Williams, Moss, and Fleming. All three will have a year of the Iowa coaches system by the time Moore or any other point guard would of gotten to Iowa. I don't see Williams, Moss, or Fleming as lacking in potential. These high school guys play against each other all the time, and I imagine they know about who Iowa has on its roster. I doubt Fran was in a position to promise Moore major playing time next year.

If that's true (scared), then I'm not sure there are very many decent D1 programs he would be comfortable with... the good ones tend to embrace the competition vs. tucking their tail. As I'm sure you are... I'm ok with Fran promoting "earning playing time"... that usually bodes well for the program - long term. See Clemmons.

If that's true (scared), then I'm not sure there are very many decent D1 programs he would be comfortable with... the good ones tend to embrace the competition vs. tucking their tail. As I'm sure you are... I'm ok with Fran promoting "earning playing time"... that usually bodes well for the program - long term. See Clemmons.

I see what your saying. I'm not sure "scared" is quite the right word. I think good players in his shoes just look for the best overall fit/situation they can get. If he or any kid is prioritizing competition and early playing time as their top two deals then they better be pretty darn good...

Can someone give me an idea of how important it would be to land this kid? I can't help but to think that Williams, and when Conner comes in, are going to be real good players at pg.

It's always good to get a proven commodity but it's a crap shoot. You never know for sure. There aren't a lot of Ronnie Lester out there but this kid looks that part. I love the class that is there and I feel that Hutton, Flemming and a couple others will excel beyond or out expectations. Just hang and run with what you have. I love the future of Iowa Basketball. Gonna be a great ride.

Thank you for the complement. Moore might be looking for a program where they will guarantee him minutes. I'm sure he has played against some of the Iowa incoming freshmen. I never said that Moore was one of 'the good one'. I think he is probably a pretty good player, but that doesn't mean he is good enough to come in and start over some of the other guys already at Iowa. If you don't think that these guys are looking for the best opportunity for themselves then its not my fault. Moore is a pretty nifty player, but he is pretty tiny. Moore has a lot of family and friends that probably think he is the next best thing, and he probably would be a little insecure about going somewhere that wouldn't guarantee him success.

Heard that Moore's recruitment went in a direction that the staff wasn't going to get involved with

Thought I'd move this over to the Moore thread, as I think most of the discussion on this is gonna be about him.

Yeah, Fran wasn't going to play that game. I think Fran see's Conner as his PG of the future and he just needs a stop gap for one year. Jordan and Williams/Moss or other will hold down the PG for a year and then onto Conner.

Said he will open up his recruiting if Memphis coach leaves (which he is going to). So, will we try to get him?

Rob, do you know what happened previously with his recruitment? I saw on another site someone said Fran backed away bc his handler was trying some shady stuff. Is that true or was it just he didn't like Iowa as much?

I'm not going to get my hopes up for this but man this would be awesome. Wait, I already got my hopes up.

Last edited:
Rob, do you know what happened previously with his recruitment? I saw on another site someone said Fran backed away bc his handler was trying some shady stuff. Is that true or was it just he didn't like Iowa as much?

Rob, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't some of these "handlers" sell themselves as "recruiting services". IE you pay them to get scouting reports on players, etc. In reality they represent these kids, and what it really gets you is access to recruit them.

That is the way I understand that some of this works. Fran didn't want to play that game, so he moved on, offered Bohannon and he committed.

I'm not going to get my hopes up for this but man this would be awesome. Wait, I already got my hopes up.
I read that Wisconsin is wanting him too.. He'll have options so if there's some kinda riff with how his handlers and Fran hit it off or not it's not like he won't find a soft landing. Maybe things have changed since then however.... Be interesting to know if Fran is hunting him and if so what shot do we have

Latest posts