Bottom Line: Our Guards Aren't Getting it Done

ChosenChildren

It's not Fran. It's not the overall effort. We just don't have great guard play rightnow. I love Sapp and Mike and everything they have done for Iowa basketball, but they aren't getting it done the past 8 games. You can't win consistently without great guard play, and we simply aren't getting it right now. Maybe those two will get it going in the NCAA tourney. We really need them to score more and turn the ball over less.

CC, until Iowa gets a lock down, ice in their veins, kind of guard, Iowa will struggle closing out games, making shots that need to be knocked down, and getting the "W"s" they should've gotten against teams like PSU, Illnois, hell even the rest.....

voila.....this is how its done

kameron-chatman-nick-zeisloft-91339601c4bfc9ec.jpg

-76d2431583ce6b7e.jpg

It's not Fran. It's not the overall effort. We just don't have great guard play rightnow. I love Sapp and Mike and everything they have done for Iowa basketball, but they aren't getting it done the past 8 games. You can't win consistently without great guard play, and we simply aren't getting it right now. Maybe those two will get it going in the NCAA tourney. We really need them to score more and turn the ball over less.

MG (16) and Clemmons (26) might have the fewest 3 point baskets of any starting guards in the nation!

that's about 1.5 per game between them., their percentage aren't going to scare anybody into guarding them either. Find these stats hard to believe for fourth year guys that have played a ton. It's not like this team's offense is pound the ball inside, so what is their excuse for not being able to shoot?

Maybe they have no business getting so much time if they haven't been able to figure out how to make a 3. It's a three ball dominated game today, you shouldn't get PT if you can't shoot.

MG (16) and Clemmons (26) might have the fewest 3 point baskets of any starting guards in the nation!

that's about 1.5 per game between them., their percentage aren't going to scare anybody into guarding them either. Find these stats hard to believe for fourth year guys that have played a ton. It's not like this team's offense is pound the ball inside, so what is their excuse for not being able to shoot?

Maybe they have no business getting so much time if they haven't been able to figure out how to make a 3. It's a three ball dominated game today, you shouldn't get PT if you can't shoot.

So true. Uthoff has made 62 and Jok 75. If they got ANYTHING out of their guards things would be so much different.

People do realize that Fran is the coach right. Sure I get the plenty of blame to go around and everyone trying to deflect the blame away from Fran. I get that but Fran he is the coach. Listen I'm not calling for his head and don't want him to go ANYWHERE, but he is the coach and many of thhese end game calls or lack there of is on him.

People do realize that Fran is the coach right. Sure I get the plenty of blame to go around and everyone trying to deflect the blame away from Fran. I get that but Fran he is the coach. Listen I'm not calling for his head and don't want him to go ANYWHERE, but he is the coach and many of thhese end game calls or lack there of is on him.

For all we know, Fran had a great play drawn up last game. We will never know because Gesell handed Illinois the ball twice in a row. When your players screw up everything you tell them to do in the last 2 minutes, it's going to make people say you should have told them to do something else. When every iowa fan is thinking "oh boy, here we go again" in crunch time, what do you think the players are thinking? If the players know they're going to lose, it doesn't matter what the coach says or does.

I can't imagine how frustrated Fran is. They were in position to win every single game this year late. Has an Iowa team ever played an entire season without losing by double digits? If he plays zone, he looks dumb because they let guys shoot wide open 3's. If he plays man, someone loses their man for a wide open layup. He's called timeouts lately and that hasn't helped either. The only thing he can do at this point is pull 4 year starters with 2 minutes left for guys who have never seen the last 2 minutes of a college game. That's a tough call to make.

For all we know, Fran had a great play drawn up last game. We will never know because Gesell handed Illinois the ball twice in a row. When your players screw up everything you tell them to do in the last 2 minutes, it's going to make people say you should have told them to do something else. When every iowa fan is thinking "oh boy, here we go again" in crunch time, what do you think the players are thinking? If the players know they're going to lose, it doesn't matter what the coach says or does.

I prefer especially when trends exist to look at those in charge of the product.

I prefer especially when trends exist to look at those in charge of the product.

The trend of completely falling apart in close games has only been going on for as long as this senior class has been here. Do you think Fran should pull those guys with 2 minutes to go? That is the only thing he can do. I'm all for him trying that at this point.

Did you blame Kirk for Koehn's trend of missing extra points and short field goals? Sometimes players get in their own heads and there's nothing a coach can do about it.

I'm getting really concerned about agreeing with you so much. Did you slip me a drug or something?

It didn't matter what was called, honestly. Nobody was open and Gesell did the only thing he could as an inbounder with no timeouts. Illinois made a play.

It didn't matter what was called, honestly. Nobody was open and Gesell did the only thing he could as an inbounder with no timeouts. Illinois made a play.

I meant what was called before Gesell lost the ball and forced the jump ball.