Scott Dochterman just had an interesting stat

skinnykilmer17

He just researched the following.

In the past 3 years, Iowa is 4-11 in games where they could tie or take the lead in the last 11 seconds. With Fran only calling 3 timeouts in those 15 games.

Actually just 2 timeouts called because one of those was called by Woody last night.

In the past 3 years, Iowa is 4-11 in games where they could tie or take the lead in the last 11 seconds. With Fran only calling 3 timeouts in those 15 games.

Actually just 2 timeouts called because one of those was called by Woody last night.

So what! Luke didn't like calling timeouts in those situations either.

Still don't know how people think a D1 coach can't communicate with his players from the bench.

Still don't know how people think a D1 coach can't communicate with his players from the bench.

So when our PG dribbles too much and most everyone is just standing around are you saying his communication isn't getting through? Or this is what he wants?

And I am not talking about the last two plays last night. Because those were good. (Probably because they talked about it. Do you get the correlation?) No, I am talking about the previous two minutes and the several games prior to this one.

Gee, I wonder why so many coaches call those timeouts then...to gather their team and strategize. Clearly they're all doing it wrong.

I don't get too bent out of shape about the timeout thing.... We need a play making PG... Did Crean call a timeout to draw up a play to seal the win last night?? No Yogi just made a play. Players need to make plays.

We've been bad for multiple minute stretches at the end of games... That's not on Fran.

Gee, I wonder why so many coaches call those timeouts then...to gather their team and strategize. Clearly they're all doing it wrong.

Some coaches call time out and some don't. Neither are right or wrong. Unless you can show me stats stats that show other coaches who don't call time out lose a lot of close games too.

So when our PG dribbles too much and most everyone is just standing around are you saying his communication isn't getting through? Or this is what he wants?

And I am not talking about the last two plays last night. Because those were good. (Probably because they talked about it. Do you get the correlation?) No, I am talking about the previous two minutes and the several games prior to this one.

Are you talking about the last possessions where we are playing for the last shot? Or are you saying he should call timeout every possession of the last 2 minutes? Every single coach has their point guard just dribble around winding the clock down for the last shot. Fran is no different there. What is different is how easy the play breaks down when they do start to run it. When that happens, do you think he never even called a play, the play he called sucked, or the players sucked at executing it? I'm really asking you which one you think it is.

Are you talking about the last possessions where we are playing for the last shot? Or are you saying he should call timeout every possession of the last 2 minutes? Every single coach has their point guard just dribble around winding the clock down for the last shot. Fran is no different there. What is different is how easy the play breaks down when they do start to run it. When that happens, do you think he never even called a play, the play he called sucked, or the players sucked at executing it? I'm really asking you which one you think it is.

Were you at the game? Or did you watch it on TV and listen to Tirico and Dakich?

I was there and watched the replay today. All I know is that we again wasted a lot of possessions down the stretch. Seemed disjointed. Something Tirico and Dakich commented on too.

Of course we shouldn't be calling timeouts on every possession. Don't be stupid. You want to have an informed debate?

Some coaches call time out and some don't. Neither are right or wrong. Unless you can show me stats stats that show other coaches who don't call time out lose a lot of close games too.

You did read the OP...right? That's the essence of this thread. Fran appears to prefer avoiding the late game timeout. And his stats in close games would suggest that hasn't worked real well. 4-11 incase you missed it.

But my comment was broader than just the "close game at the end" angle. PCHawk wondered why D1 coaches couldn't communicate with their players from the bench. I think it's stating (restating) the obvious to say that timeouts certainly have a benefit. Otherwise coaches wouldn't use them. (maybe that's why they're a fundamental part of the game structure and rules? just sayin'...)

Last edited:

That's a goofy stat. So apparently Iowa was BEHIND in all 15 of those games if he's saying they could tie or take the lead. So even if they tied on a late shot, doesn't guarantee they win the game. Could still go to overtime and lose or other team could score after Iowa. So they are 4-11 in games where they are BEHIND in the last 11 seconds. Well, I would imagine almost every team wouldn't have a very good record considering they are at a distinct disadvantage in that situation.

Not that I'm impressed by late game heroics of Iowa but those stats don't really mean a whole lot. It's cherry picking stats. Show me the same stats for other teams. Without comparing to others, doesn't mean much.

At some point under the 2 minute mark Dakich said Fran needed a timeout.

It often seems the case that Fran doesn't seem to have a command of the game down the stretch. I believe he doesn't have a lot of confidence in that aspect of his coaching. Contrast his style with Crean's or most other coaches. Fran convenes all of his coaches and spends at least half of the timeout strategizing before addressing his players. Why? Unsure of himself? No confidence? I suspect he lets his players "play on" because he JUST isn't comfortable in that role. He is NOT successful in closely contested games. 3-7 this year and 17-38 at Iowa. His "hands off" and let the players decide it style doesn't work, but he doesn't change it.

Despite apparently having confidence in his players to run a play or close a game, they strangely look anything but confident or in control out there. Feeding off their coach?

Crean immediately would huddle his players up. Around HIM. He is very active and is constantly working. Just like Izzo, Matta and others. Fran really leans on Speraw in those moments. I am glad he has him. It just doesn't instill a lot of confidence in me or others I would suspect that Fran clicks in those moments.

So I don't sit behind the bench. I don't know how often Fran barks out a play etc. I just know as a fan and listening to the experts, including Bobby Hansen, Fran tends to let games slip away by poor use or no use of timeouts, strange substitutions or no substitutions for long stretches, stagnant disjointed possessions, etc etc. We don't value possessions in close games like we should. Too many scoring droughts to end games. 2 pts in 4+ minutes against Ohio St. 8 pts in 9 minutes against Wisconsin. This isn't anything new. Might account for the 17-38 record.

You did read the OP...right? That's the essence of this thread. Fran appears to prefer avoiding the late game timeout. And his stats in close games would suggest that hasn't worked real well. 4-11 incase you missed it.

But my comment was broader than just the "close game at the end" angle. PCHawk wondered why D1 coaches couldn't communicate with their players from the bench. I think it's stating (restating) the obvious to say that timeouts certainly have a benefit. Otherwise coaches wouldn't use them. (maybe that's why they're a fundamental part of the game structure and rules? just sayin'...)

Not all coaches call timeout. Some do and some don't . It's kinda silly to say calling timeout has benifits otherwise coaches wouldn't do it because I can just come back and say not calling timeouts has its benefits because some coaches do it. If you think we are losing close games because Fran isn't calling timeouts, I think it's a fair point to ask what other coaches who don't call timeouts records are in close games. I'm sure there are coaches out there who don't call timeouts and have good records doing it that way.

Fran says if you call timeout, you're going to tell them the same thing you would tell them from the bench. So why call timeout and not know which defense they're going to come out in. You can call a play that works for man and they can come out in a zone.

That's a goofy stat. So apparently Iowa was BEHIND in all 15 of those games if he's saying they could tie or take the lead. So even if they tied on a late shot, doesn't guarantee they win the game. Could still go to overtime and lose or other team could score after Iowa. So they are 4-11 in games where they are BEHIND in the last 11 seconds. Well, I would imagine almost every team wouldn't have a very good record considering they are at a distinct disadvantage in that situation.

Not that I'm impressed by late game heroics of Iowa but those stats don't really mean a whole lot. It's cherry picking stats. Show me the same stats for other teams. Without comparing to others, doesn't mean much.

Valid points. He was on the radio and the hosts didn't ask those questions. I suspect his main point was Fran prefers to let his players play on. Doesn't use the TIMEOUT to discuss the plan of attack or the what ifs??

The feeling among some, myself included, is that Fran doesn't excel in close ballgames. Because the stats don't lie. But why doesn't he? It can't be all the players and when we lose a close game with timeouts in his pocket after giving up a lead and the offense just plain sucks and they look kind of confused. Well it's just a little frustrating and of course opens him up for criticism IMO.

Were you at the game? Or did you watch it on TV and listen to Tirico and Dakich?

I was there and watched the replay today. All I know is that we again wasted a lot of possessions down the stretch. Seemed disjointed. Something Tirico and Dakich commented on too.

Of course we shouldn't be calling timeouts on every possession. Don't be stupid. You want to have an informed debate?

You never even addressed anything in my post. The reason I asked about calling timeout every possession is to make a point that the players are screwing up a ton of possessions at the end of games. There aren't enough timeouts in a game to fix the amount of mistakes the players are making.

To answer your question, I was at the game and I haven't mustered up the courage to watch the replay yet. Now can you answer my question please?

Valid points. He was on the radio and the hosts didn't ask those questions. I suspect his main point was Fran prefers to let his players play on. Doesn't use the TIMEOUT to discuss the plan of attack or the what ifs??

The feeling among some, myself included, is that Fran doesn't excel in close ballgames. Because the stats don't lie. But why doesn't he? It can't be all the players and when we lose a close game with timeouts in his pocket after giving up a lead and the offense just plain sucks and they look kind of confused. Well it's just a little frustrating and of course opens him up for criticism IMO.

You might be right about it not being his strong suit. It might lower our chances of getting a few wins a year. It may even cost us some wins. But in my opinion, this senior class has no ability to do anything in close games and it exaggerates what could be a small chink in Fran's armor. Take away the ridiculous amount of all around choking by the players and maybe you have a coach you get frustrated with a couple times a year. But you also have a coach who would be winning at a considerably higher rate than he already is.

Being 4-11 where you could tie or take the lead in the last 11 seconds really sounds about normal. If the other team is ahead in the last 11 seconds they would have the advantage.

Not all coaches call timeout. Some do and some don't . It's kinda silly to say calling timeout has benifits otherwise coaches wouldn't do it because I can just come back and say not calling timeouts has its benefits because some coaches do it. If you think we are losing close games because Fran isn't calling timeouts, I think it's a fair point to ask what other coaches who don't call timeouts records are in close games. I'm sure there are coaches out there who don't call timeouts and have good records doing it that way.

Fran says if you call timeout, you're going to tell them the same thing you would tell them from the bench. So why call timeout and not know which defense they're going to come out in. You can call a play that works for man and they can come out in a zone.

AGAIN.... this thread isn't about "all coaches". The original point was Fran's record in close "end of game" situations and the fact that he tends to not call a TO. His stats are pretty clear.

We can talk coaching theory over beers all day, that's great. How to use a timeout, when to use it, what a coach says to his guys...there are many strategic models. But the point is Fran's approach and the results he's gotten...on which the numbers would seem pretty clear.