Player Spears Ref

I have been saying it for a while that programs like Michigan State should not be allowed to get away with their thugish play. It is a bad influence down the line. When young players see that they get ideas and take it further. I am glad that there are still programs like Iowa that are a positive influence in the way they conduct themselves.

expelled and charged with assault. example of disrespect of authority - plenty of examples of this top down in our country. for example, all the anti police movement. or call it whatever you wish.

don't want to take this thread political - all i can say is 'not surprising' lead by example, learn by example.

C'mon now, this has nothing to do with the "anti police" movement or disrespect of authority. It's pre-meditated assault, and I might even add "with a deadly weapon" as those helmets and pads add weight and blunt surfaces, like hitting somebody with a wrecking ball. Football is supposed to be an outlet for aggression, strategic and controlled violence. This is a case of two young men and whoever may or may not have suggested this idea to them. It's not just poor sportsmanship, it's criminal behavior. And as somebody who identifies with this "anti police" movement you cite, I will tell you that I fully support involving the police in this situation, as it is their job to protect and serve everybody equally.

I would agree. But a scumbag defense attorney will figure out a way to blame the coach. If no coach knew, you can bet the official made some comment.

If a certain president had a kid that played football, he'd play just like those kids.

Are you saying that because they'd be black or Muslim? SMH. That first kid that made that hit was white, FYI. Care to change your tune?

Just a tad bit of overreaction... in many countries they stone people to death for half time entertainment.

Not to mention thousands of years of war, random and government and or religious sanctioned violence.

Yeah it was bad... but society isn't in danger.

Without law society always is in danger. The U.S. has become more and more lawless in the last eight years under Obama. All you have to do is watch the news.

Without law society always is in danger. The U.S. has become more and more lawless in the last eight years under Obama. All you have to do is watch the news.

crime-600x386.jpg

False

Are you saying that because they'd be black or Muslim? SMH. That first kid that made that hit was white, FYI. Care to change your tune?

Neither are white. They are Hispanic of some sort. It came out today that they're claiming the ref made racist statements. I don't buy that for a second. They (and their coaches) were ****** that they were losing, and they were mad at the refs, so they decided to do that in return. Pathetic.

Neither are white. They are Hispanic of some sort. It came out today that they're claiming the ref made racist statements. I don't buy that for a second. They (and their coaches) were ****** that they were losing, and they were mad at the refs, so they decided to do that in return. Pathetic.

Regardless, I think we can safely say HawkeyeBob's comment was way off the mark.

This is one of the dumbest things I've ever read.

Political for the sake of political... and completely devoid of evidence, rationale, or logic.... bearing no connection to actual history or the many reasons for crime in human society.

Congratulations sir.

Just a tad bit of overreaction... in many countries they stone people to death for half time entertainment.

Not to mention thousands of years of war, random and government and or religious sanctioned violence.

Yeah it was bad... but society isn't in danger.

Maybe. But think about this: Somehow it is now acceptable in our society (at least by some) to attack someone who you think wronged you. Be it a referee, a police officer, a teacher, a motorist, or neighbor. Yes, it happened in the past, but not as frequently or as violently. That is a societal change.

Maybe. But think about this: Somehow it is now acceptable in our society (at least by some) to attack someone who you think wronged you. Be it a referee, a police officer, a teacher, a motorist, or neighbor. Yes, it happened in the past, but not as frequently or as violently. That is a societal change.

You ever heard of the old west? Society as a whole is getting less and less violent as time goes on. I think the fact that most of us recognize this incident as ridiculous is proof of that.

I don't think anybody finds it acceptable. The fact that it seems to happen more often now than in the past is an artifact of YouTube and infinite connectedness. Almost everybody has a smartphone and a data plan. Things that happen in one corner of the world are immediately available to view in the opposite corner of the same world. All you have to do is look back at history and find that these are the sorts of things that have always been part of human nature. We're only more aware of them (there's a great book by Nassim Taleb called "Black Swan" that discusses this in further detail).

Example: https://en.whttps://en.wikipedia.or...nerikipedia.org/wiki/Caning_of_Charles_Sumner
Two priveleged old white dudes. One didn't like a speech the other gave. So he beat him senseless with a cane on the floor of the US Senate.

See? Nothing new here.

And just as an addendum: That Senate beating was so accepted by many, that people were buying up the broken pieces of the cane to reforge it into rings they would wear. Not just accepted, but celebrated violence on that front.

I would agree. But a scumbag defense attorney will figure out a way to blame the coach. If no coach knew, you can bet the official made some comment.

If a certain president had a kid that played football, he'd play just like those kids.

Unfortunately, I was partly right: claiming racial slurs, in addition to bad calls and an assistant coach putting them up to it.

I'm really not sure whether I WANT it to be attributable to a coach or no. If so, that coach is a monster. If not, we've sunk father and faster than any reasonable person could have guessed.

Unfortunately, I was partly right: claiming racial slurs, in addition to bad calls and an assistant coach putting them up to it.

I'm really not sure whether I WANT it to be attributable to a coach or no. If so, that coach is a monster. If not, we've sunk father and faster than any reasonable person could have guessed.

Bro, let's keep things separated. No, this vicious attack was unacceptable and should be punished. Period.

But, if the referee did use racial slurs that should also be investigated and punished.

The two are separate and do not impact each other at all. Both are bad.

Did you hear the comments from a Texas sports official? They claimed racial slurs were made by the official (in addition to bad calls).

It was the only way they had to get any semblance of sympathy.

Did you hear the comments from a Texas sports official? They claimed racial slurs were made by the official (in addition to bad calls).

It was the only way they had to get any semblance of sympathy.

I stand by my point. Their attack was vicious and horrible and should be punished harshly.

But if the ref did use racial slurs, that should be punished as well. But they're separate problems. Neither excuses the other.

Also, your backhanded comment about a "certain president" was neither funny nor insightful. Just hatemongering.

So in other words, even though I was right, you can't admit you were wrong. Gotcha.

Is that how you read it? Because I didn't see where I fought with whomever pointed out that the kids were Hispanic, not white. If it makes you feel better here:

I was wrong! Forgive me! I was mistaken!