Miller's instant reaction-LOL

I agree with Jon's assessment of the QBs. CJB should be the starter. I blame that one on KF. Jon complains about Davis' offensive ineptitude. IMO, KF's offensive ineptitude is more a factor in the QB problem.

CJB should be the starter because he stretches the field. CJB has more confidence and is more accurate completing those longer passes. Not every throw is to a RB or TE. Makes it more difficult for the opponent to defend. Not a tight box of defenders within 10 yards or so of the line of scrimmage. Which opens up the running game more as well. After Maryland caught on to Iowa's passing game plan beginning with the second, they blanketed the field within 10 yards or so of the line of scrimmage. Jake's short throws were taken away. He fiddled in the pocket because he didn't have the confidence to try longer passes. Strong winds were also a factor. CJB's stronger arm had more of a chance of cutting through the strong wind to be completed than Jake's. What I don't get: why did Jake suddenly attempt and complete passes more than 10 yards or so down the field with just a few minutes left in the game? Why hadn't he tried that all game long?

Not agreeing with Jon's assessment of Davis, however. Without Davis, Iowa wouldn't have the fast group of WRs they have. Iowa would be scrounging for WRs like when KOK was OC. Agreeing with KF's ball control and field position offense works well if you have a stout defense. Iowa doesn't have that kind of defense this year. Iowa's offense needs to put up lots of points to win against complex offenses.

Last edited:
I'm with Jon on the Offense. This horizontal passing stuff hurts us every game.
So many zero yardage plays.......it's just so ineffective.
Especially when we have the receivers, TEs to get vertical.
The fumbles were extremely costly today.......as much as the pick 7.

Jon if going 6-19 from middle of 1st quarter to middle of 4th for 35 yards and a pick six is not puking on yourself, what is?

The horizontal passing game works if it's thrown to the receiver quick enough and fast enough. No play action. Fire the fast ball. It's a long hand off to a speedy receiver (unless it's KMM). We've pretty much only seen Jake throw those passes. He takes too long to get the pass to the receiver.

Maybe Davis should, for instance, only put short 10 yard passes in the offense to accommodate Jake's passing ability? How did that work out today?

Last edited:
That 3rd and 2 pass play, when we were dominating at the line of scrimmage was brutal.
We end up punting.

Once again, Iowa is up 17-14 and Maryland is down to their 3rd string QB who has never taken a snap, and they score 24 additional points. Yes, 7 of those was on a pick six, but how do you not close that out?!

That 3rd and 2 pass play, when we were dominating at the line of scrimmage was brutal.
We end up punting.

Once again, Iowa is up 17-14 and Maryland is down to their 3rd string QB who has never taken a snap, and they score 24 additional points. Yes, 7 of those was on a pick six, but how do you not close that out?!

Correction... Their QB played in 2012.. Significantly.

We end up punting.

On that 3rd and two play, had a back wide open on the right for an easy first down. Instead, threw to a tight end in tight coverage and a punt to follow. Stared down receivers all day

On that 3rd and two play, had a back wide open on the right for an easy first down. Instead, threw to a tight end in tight coverage and a punt to follow. Stared down receivers all day

On a day of brutal play by Rudock, that play took the cake. Kenny was even waving like crazy and after the play just threw up his arms in exasperation.

It's not acceptable for KF to ignore the reality of the QB situation any longer.

His QB will not work in this offense.

Its time to play the guy that can throw the ball. Period.

The last game Jake Christiansen started KOK called an entire 4th quarter of mostly pass plays, seemingly to prove the point to Ferentz that JC wouldn't work.

I sincerely hope Davis was doing the same thing today but gI don't think he's that smart.

The react podcasts are always good stuff. This one was no exception.

Loved the podcast. Raw, to the point, honest. Good stuff.

All remarks on point with no hedging. Nicely done.

Morehouse tweeted this immediately after game: https://twitter.com/marcmorehouse/status/523568202048368642
Harty Tweeted this: https://twitter.com/PatHarty/status/523568135765377024

Podolak said on Soundoff that Coach said in the interview with them that CJB was hurt...Travis said Kirk didn't say that....then played the tape.

Given that last bit, my guess is for whatever reason Kirk didn't want to talk about CJB being hurt....but I'd wager that he was....and that Podolak knows that sort of thing before the games take place.

Beathard wasn't hurt like Miller suggested in his podcast.

I listened to the podcast three times. I think Jon was not believing the "CJB was injured" crap by the tone of his voice. KF even said he was available in the post game. I think KF admitting that proves how much he is attached to Rudock. That usually doesn't work out for a coach (Rex Ryan should be a real good example of that).

I listened to the podcast three times. I think Jon was not believing the "CJB was injured" crap by the tone of his voice. KF even said he was available in the post game. I think KF admitting that proves how much he is attached to Rudock. That usually doesn't work out for a coach (Rex Ryan should be a real good example of that).

I was reading their tweets in real time..and reacting in real time. I have a hard, hard time buying that CJB was totally healthy and available to play, yet never played. IF that is the case, we can put that in the 'gut feeling' folder...but I don't buy that.