The great HN basketball minds

OUTofTOWNHAWK

Those you who think this guy should start or that guy should start. Name one player that has not had a bad game? They all will get a chance to play on every night. They all have a chance to prove how much they should be out there. Its like some of you dont understand how great it is to be this deep.

Ever wonder why Fran has some games where he doesnt use timeouts? He doesnt want to give the other team a break.

If you dont think McCabe should play then you dont understand the game. Hes not perfect but he brings a lot to the lineup.

If you dont understand that JO is one of the most important players on the team then you dont understand the game. JO isnt quite there and the team doesnt quite understand how to play with shooter but when they do they will be able to beat any team in the country. Right now they are on the edge of being very dangerous.

Its really easy to pick out those of you who have not played the game. Dont worry you could kick my butt in vidya games though.

Who says McCabe shouldn't play? It's not a play vs don't play thing with him or Ogelwinkel. It's proper utilization and game management with two very important ROLE players. Get them in, let them do their thing, and get them out.

McCabe is not a post defender and gets pwned. Oglewinkel can't get a shot up if the opponent is playing man D. Knowing that those two points are factual, then try and exploit these situations. If we can't then they should be in there for only short bursts.

Here's the final point on McCabe.....

It would be different if we didn't have two legit C players on our roster that are 6'11" and 7'0" tall. No reason that between those two players they can't combine for 40 minutes of playing time or pretty damn close to it. There is absolutely no reason to place a 6'6" "center" in the game when there are better alternatives on the bench.

Who says McCabe shouldn't play? It's not a play vs don't play thing with him or Ogelwinkel. It's proper utilization and game management with two very important ROLE players. Get them in, let them do their thing, and get them out.

McCabe is not a post defender and gets pwned. Oglewinkel can't get a shot up if the opponent is playing man D. Knowing that those two points are factual, then try and exploit these situations. If we can't then they should be in there for only short bursts.

Here's the final point on McCabe.....

It would be different if we didn't have two legit C players on our roster that are 6'11" and 7'0" tall. No reason that between those two players they can't combine for 40 minutes of playing time or pretty damn close to it. There is absolutely no reason to place a 6'6" "center" in the game when there are better alternatives on the bench.

Nice post by OOTH, he got a bite on it pretty quick too..

12345...Just an fyi, but most of McCabe's minutes are at the 4.

PS - you are sooo funny when you say Oglewinkle

I don't think anyone has every said that depth was a bad thing or Fran should not try to leverage that strength. There is no way that all 11 guys that step on the court are all at the same basketball level (that night). At times I would like to have Fran work a match up a or be a bit more strategic in personell choices. The Stalingrad technique works great somtimes when you can just keep marching and endless supply of fresh bodies bodies at a team. However i think sometimes a change is needed when that system gets bogged down.

Kyle Meyer has been pretty damn solid on the bench, he's really coming on lately. Denning and Ukah are more reserved but Meyer is looking more and more like he will be able to step in for Stokes if Darius moves on after this season.

OutofTownHawk's facebook profile picture:

700-00554961w.jpg

Those you who think this guy should start or that guy should start. Name one player that has not had a bad game? They all will get a chance to play on every night. They all have a chance to prove how much they should be out there. Its like some of you dont understand how great it is to be this deep. ?If we were going by this theory then every team would be sitting their guys. Being this deep is a problem in and of itself.

Ever wonder why Fran has some games where he doesnt use timeouts? He doesnt want to give the other team a break. ?Seriously...you call timeouts as a coach to stop momentum, get guys you want in the game, or simply go over strategy.

If you dont think McCabe should play then you dont understand the game. Hes not perfect but he brings a lot to the lineup. ?Got no issues with Zach but he does need to shoot it well or there are other options that give us more of a complete game right now.

If you dont understand that JO is one of the most important players on the team then you dont understand the game. JO isnt quite there and the team doesnt quite understand how to play with shooter but when they do they will be able to beat any team in the country. Right now they are on the edge of being very dangerous. ?Josh is not quick...hence every team in our league with the scouting done at this level knows he is one dimensional. How many games recently have you seen Josh use his quickness to come off screens and get a wide open look? He is important, however when we look at his input currently he is not setting the world on fire right now.

Its really easy to pick out those of you who have not played the game. Dont worry you could kick my butt in vidya games though.

Why would you need to take a timeout if you could pull five guys off and talk to them. There are teams that fran does not want the game stopped. Even when things get a little out of hand he is betting that Iowa can recover better because of how deep they are. This is a very simple concept.

Fran is a great coach and these types of things pay in the end. You may not understand it looking at a couple min stretch but when looking at the big picture it is Iowas greatest strength against teams that only like to play 8 guys.

Why would you need to take a timeout if you could pull five guys off and talk to them. There are teams that fran does not want the game stopped. Even when things get a little out of hand he is betting that Iowa can recover better because of how deep they are. This is a very simple concept.

Fran is a great coach and these types of things pay in the end. You may not understand it looking at a couple min stretch but when looking at the big picture it is Iowas greatest strength against teams that only like to play 8 guys.

Bottom line, however you want to see it: We lose to Iowa State, and definitely could of used some strategy down the stretch and it was Iowa that was missing free-throws late, We lose to Nova and sat on some timeouts, we lost to Michgan with TO's we could of used some conversating then too! Oh yeah then Illinois. I don't look at 2 minute snap shots...I look at the whole game. No excuse to be up 20+ points and not use a time out to stop the momentum. To believe that philosophy is simply wrong. I love Fran but taking those TO's to the bank will cost this team...and has cost this team.

Is this where everyone is supposed to tell everyone else to "learn the game?"

Yeah. If ANY of us knew basketball that well, we would be coaching a team somewhere, and would have more important things to do than sitting here at our keyboards posting in this thread.

I don't pretend to be a coach or know all that much about X's and O's, etc, and I'm not going to take it personally when another HN user says I don't know the game, because they would be right, but I'm also sure that user is not qualified to coach our team, either.

That said, I'm sure every coach in the history of the game has made an in-game decision here and there that they'd like to have back, or has been second guessed. People like us still have our opinions and are going to debate it. It's a message board.

The "timeout" discussion also doesn't automatically mean that we think Fran sucks and doesn't know how to coach. I personally think he's a fantastic coach and is doing a great job, but I happen to think he was a bit stingy with the timeouts the other night when maybe it would have been a good idea to use one.

I see what you are saying I think you are just putting too much emphasis on the platoon idea and its benefits. Basketball is a game of starts, stops, and runs. With TV timeouts and things these guys are not playing for huge stretches if time. The conditioning and platoon this is really not a huge factor in the game.

Bottom line, however you want to see it: We lose to Iowa State, and definitely could of used some strategy down the stretch and it was Iowa that was missing free-throws late, We lose to Nova and sat on some timeouts, we lost to Michgan with TO's we could of used some conversating then too! Oh yeah then Illinois. I don't look at 2 minute snap shots...I look at the whole game. No excuse to be up 20+ points and not use a time out to stop the momentum. To believe that philosophy is simply wrong. I love Fran but taking those TO's to the bank will cost this team...and has cost this team.

So bottom line you want fran to call a timeout let everyone catch their breath and say hey guys you need to make more points. Shoot better.

All games have been lost due to free throws not timeouts

I see what you are saying I think you are just putting too much emphasis on the platoon idea and its benefits. Basketball is a game of starts, stops, and runs. With TV timeouts and things these guys are not playing for huge stretches if time. The conditioning and platoon this is really not a huge factor in the game.

I think it is when you play the style Iowa does. Also fran doesnt do this to every team. I think fran know that he can take all his starters out and talk to them plus all the timeouts that are give he doesnt want to use his. Its not that hes stupid. He is one of the best coaches in the country. He is doing for a reason.

Has anyone asked this at a presser? I would love to hear Fran explain it. He is very open about what they do.

Also notice that Illinooois burned all of their timeouts in the second half trying to keep pace with Iowa. There coach wanted the clock stopped as much as possible and fran didnt.

Last edited:
I think it is when you play the style Iowa does. Also fran doesnt do this to every team. I think fran know that he can take all his starters out and talk to them plus all the timeouts that are give he doesnt want to use his. Its not that hes stupid. He is one of the best coaches in the country. He is doing for a reason.

I don't know as timeouts are used in basketball to "stop the clock" in a situation like that. They are more used to stop/slow the other other team's momentum, change up a offensive/defensive scheme, change personel, argue a call, etc.

I think Bill Self at Kansas is a master with timeouts by the way.

I'm also not trying to say Fran dosn't know what he's doing because he has great season going. If people are not happy they are getting nit picky but there are times when you can question a coach a bit. Its in the job description .

Has anyone asked this at a presser. I would love to hear Fran explain it. He is very open about what they do.

Also notice that Illinooois burned all there timeouts in the second half trying to keep pace with Iowa. There coach wanted the clock stopped as much as possible and fran didnt.

If you are going to really try and tire a team out the payoff is going to be in the last 5 or 10 mins of the game or overtime. So you have to sell out to that game plan. That means the team needs to work through parts or the game where they struggle(see illini game). You may have to play players that are not playing as well to keep tempo up. If that really is what you want to do you wont know if it works if you bail out from that game plan. With how many tv tos there are you really have to limit the ones you call if that is the plan.

Even though it looked bad for 10 mins in the middle of the game it paid out in the end.

Also I think timeouts on the road give more time for the crowd to get crazy. They love it they go nuts.

Has anyone asked this at a presser? I would love to hear Fran explain it. He is very open about what they do.

Also notice that Illinooois burned all of their timeouts in the second half trying to keep pace with Iowa. There coach wanted the clock stopped as much as possible and fran didnt.

What?? Groce kept calling timeouts because the hawks were toasting them over an open fire, completely running them over.

The fact that Illinois settled things down, talked it over and came back to take the lead I think was a good use of his timeouts, he had to take them or the hawks might have been up by 35 before things turned around.

Groce probably said during a timeout "take it to the rim"

I would like Fran during one of these droughts to take a timeout, set up a couple plays, and options off of set plays to get a good shot.

What?? Groce kept calling timeouts because the hawks were toasting them over an open fire, completely running them over.

The fact that Illinois settled things down, talked it over and came back to take the lead I think was a good use of his timeouts, he had to take them or the hawks might have been up by 35 before things turned around.

Groce probably said during a timeout "take it to the rim"

I would like Fran during one of these droughts to take a timeout, set up a couple plays, and options off of set plays to get a good shot.

2nd half the game was close no huge runs. Illini were having problems keeping up with the Hawks. I think they had used all their timeouts in the first 15mins of the half and it wasnt because they were stopping runs. They were tired.

I know many won't like this answer, but when you are the head coach, you can employ whatever TO philosophy you want. Coach McCaffery has always been this way about his time outs. He has said so in the past. He said it again in the Illinois postgame. We are paying him a lot of bucks to install his basketball concepts and win games. So far, in my mind, he has done exactly that. You bitchin' about it doesn't make him wrong.