The great HN basketball minds

MSU played what 8 guys? 1 guy they dont really want to play. Like I said if your theory is to run a team then you have to sell out to that. Calling a timeout throws your game plan out the window.

Im fully aware of what most coaches do. Most coaches are not fran and do not have as many players.

Iowa blew it against MSU. Izzo didnt do anything amazing. What was it 13 missed free throws and no baskets for 15 mins?

Running a team out of the gym is plan A. You can't just stick with plan A whether its working or not. That's why they have things like halftime adjustments. That said, I don't think there was ever a need to call a timeout during the MSU game. They never went on any big runs and we were attacking the rim and getting fouls. Losing a 21 point lead without calling timeout is a little extreme tho.

Illinois came out of halftime and picked up right where they left off in the 1st half. There's no reason to think a timeout would have had any more impact than an entire halftime break. If Fran wants to use a timeout great. If Fran wants to play through it and see how it goes great. Also, Iowa did not blow the 21 point lead...until after halftime. Illinois never got the lead in the 1st half and Iowa should have been up at least 6 if Clemmons hadn't shot too early.

Running a team out of the gym is plan A. You can't just stick with plan A whether its working or not. That's why they have things like halftime adjustments. That said, I don't think there was ever a need to call a timeout during the MSU game. They never went on any big runs and we were attacking the rim and getting fouls. Losing a 21 point lead without calling timeout is a little extreme tho.

Totally wrong. You wont see that game plan pay out till the end of the game. Did you watch the Illini game? It worked.

Yes izzo saw his guys in a good rhythm so he let them play. Mccaffery should have realized Iowa was in a funk and needed to call a timeout to rally the guys and help them out. I am sure if the roles had been reversed izzo would not have let msu go 15 min without scoring and not called a timeout to try to get them out of the funk.

Good to know that calling Time Outs will solve your team's shooting woes, I will pass that onto Fran. Expect to see more TO's from him now that he knows that. The lack of basketball knowledge by some people on this board is hard to believe.

Totally wrong. You wont see that game plan pay out till the end of the game. Did you watch the Illini game? It worked.

I hate when I can't tell if I'm being trolled or not. Are you saying that we closed out the game due to them being gassed because we didn't call a timeout midway through the first half?

Good to know that calling Time Outs will solve your team's shooting woes, I will pass that onto Fran. Expect to see more TO's from him now that he knows that. The lack of basketball knowledge by some people on this board is hard to believe.

Stupid sarcasm. I in particular have already mentioned that you can call a timeout to set up a few set plays and options out of set plays, with the hope and the prayer of getting maybe a dunk or layup.

You know what a dunk and a layup are , they are high percentage shots which logically should improve your team's shooting percentage.

Man, people on this board have no logic or flexibility of thought.

I think Fran has usually, very often been great out of timeouts with defensive and offensive calls and sets.

If you have watched his 4 years at Iowa he/the team does very well after timeouts.

One or two high percentage shots for buckets in that MSU game and it is a win. That is all.

I hate when I can't tell if I'm being trolled or not. Are you saying that we closed out the game due to them being gassed because we didn't call a timeout midway through the first half?

That is what he is saying. and ooth I think is wrong about why Groce called timeouts, Groce called timeouts cuz Iowa was just pounding his team and he needed to stop the bleeding, not necessarily only because they were a little winded.

Groce knew his team was mentally out of the game by the 12-10-8 minute mark of the first half and he needed to try to right the ship

Stupid sarcasm. I in particular have already mentioned that you can call a timeout to set up a few set plays and options out of set plays, with the hope and the prayer of getting maybe a dunk or layup.

You know what a dunk and a layup are , they are high percentage shots which logically should improve your team's shooting percentage.

Man, people on this board have no logic or flexibility of thought.

I think Fran has usually, very often been great out of timeouts with defensive and offensive calls and sets.

If you have watched his 4 years at Iowa he/the team does very well after timeouts.

One or two high percentage shots for buckets in that MSU game and it is a win. That is all.

If only there were a way to call plays during the game...

Advocating calling a TO, because the only way Iowa can score is off of an out of bounds play is an incredibly stupid rational. Plus, most of our scoring off of out bounds plays have come from taking the ball out on the baseline. There's no way you will be taking the ball out there after a TO.

If only there were a way to call plays during the game...

Advocating calling a TO, because the only way Iowa can score is off of an out of bounds play is an incredibly stupid rational. Plus, most of our scoring off of out bounds plays have come from taking the ball out on the baseline. There's no way you will be taking the ball out there after a TO.

Did I say the plays have to be the out of bounds pass/play, wow.

Im not trolling. Im saying with the amount of tv tos and halftime if you want to tire a team out in this day and age you cant use tos. Players are affected by what happened in the 1st half.

I think fran was letting illini punch themselves tired knowing he had the deeper team. YOu also have a high likelyhood that an 8 man team is going to have foul trouble in an up and down fast paced game.

I'm not saying one method is right one is wrong when it comes to calling or not calling a TO to stop momentum. That said I honestly think the argument about them being out of gas at the end of game is a valid point, however if the run is eliminated (time out or not) before they run off the 21 pts to get back in the game then it doesn't matter how much gas they have left in the tank at the end of the game if the game is out of reach. If iowa takes a 20 pt. lead to half time against Illinois the game is over at the half. IMO the bigger issue is figuring out how to stop or minimize the run and the scoring slumps rather than worrying about whether or not we have TOs at the end of the game or how worn out a team is.

I'm not saying one method is right one is wrong when it comes to calling or not calling a TO to stop momentum. That said I honestly think the argument about them being out of gas at the end of game is a valid point, however if the run is eliminated (time out or not) before they run off the 21 pts to get back in the game then it doesn't matter how much gas they have left in the tank at the end of the game if the game is out of reach. If iowa takes a 20 pt. lead to half time against Illinois the game is over at the half. IMO the bigger issue is figuring out how to stop or minimize the run and the scoring slumps rather than worrying about whether or not we have TOs at the end of the game or how worn out a team is.

Fair enough. I also think it comes down to what fran thinks of his team. Was he really scared of losing? Was it partly a test to see how they would handle the run?

I am not arguing that tos dont calm down the game. Im saying fran didnt want it to be calmed down, and in turn Illini got tired and lost. Its very unlikely that team will go on a 21-3 run very often on the Hawks and I think from what fran saw in the first 10 mins of the game that he knew things would get turned around. It takes guts to stick to the plan but I think thats what fran did.

In boxing you hear about tiring the other guy out and sticking to the plan and it pays off in the late rounds. I thought thats what it looked like.

That's one of the things I love about our current team. They are not a demonstrative bunch. They don't go nuts after making layups and pound on their chests and when things are going bad, they stay calm and collected.
Thats what i call a businesslike attitudes

Im not trolling. Im saying with the amount of tv tos and halftime if you want to tire a team out in this day and age you cant use tos. Players are affected by what happened in the 1st half.

I think fran was letting illini punch themselves tired knowing he had the deeper team. YOu also have a high likelyhood that an 8 man team is going to have foul trouble in an up and down fast paced game.

I agree with you about wanting to tire out the opposition, who wouldnt want to. I think the hawks 10 players can run all day with their sub patterns.

THere just seemed to be a time during that first half Illini run where the hawk players on the floor looked totally lost, confused, dispirited, etc and the bad mojo kept going on and on.

It was very fortunate that hawks got those 5-7 points in the last couple first half minutes.

This is pretty much what I'm thinking. I think there is a line with how long you let a run happen before your plan to tire the other team gets trumped by stopping the run. I think Fran accidentally crossed that line against Illinois and he would be the first to tell you that.

You can't really fault Fran though because you only know where that line is after its to late. Using hindsight at halftime he probably wished he used a timeout. Using hindsight after the game he's probably glad he didn't because of how important winning close games is for this team.