VanLaere: Huge Excitement Tempered with a Splash of Realism (MBB Season Preview)

Wow, a decent post from you and I agree. I would have thought Fran would have learned scheduling teams that end up 2-24 KILLS your RPI and that is what really hurt Iowa last year. If you are going to schedule games against the SWAC then schedule the ones that finish in the top half of the conference instead of the bottom. I count as many as 5 teams that could end up with more than 20 losses at the end of the year. The opponent W/L record is a huge part of the RPI score.

I don't think the Non con will hurt, and I don't think it hurt that much last year. As Ibahawk says, if we beat Nebraska, and to 10-8 in conference, no way we get left out and 8-10 Minny and Illinois make it. We will have opportunities for good wins against ND, @ISU, Xavier, Tennessee, maybe Kansas. Then in conference we get 2 tries against Michigan, Michigan St., Ohio St., and Wisconsin as well as one shot at IU. So probably at least 10-12 games against top 50 RPI type teams.

Nice write up, Spank. I don't agree with you game by game, but, overall, pretty much agree with your season prediction.

Storm, I disagree with you on UM/IU/NW losses. I don't think those teams have enough inside offense and defense to stay with the Hawks. Our bigs run the floor very well and very often. Also consider that we could have a lineup where say Uthoff or White is "playing" the 5 and we put the jets on up and down the court. Running other teams to death is how Iowa uses all of its very good players (no stars, but very good players) to beat UM/IU/NW, etc.

I don't think the Non con will hurt, and I don't think it hurt that much last year. As Ibahawk says, if we beat Nebraska, and to 10-8 in conference, no way we get left out and 8-10 Minny and Illinois make it. We will have opportunities for good wins against ND, @ISU, Xavier, Tennessee, maybe Kansas. Then in conference we get 2 tries against Michigan, Michigan St., Ohio St., and Wisconsin as well as one shot at IU. So probably at least 10-12 games against top 50 RPI type teams.

I agree the conference schedule is much better and I think Iowa will be fine but the non conference is not much better and it will show up at the end of the year. It won't keep them out of the tournament but could affect the seeding.