Zone read

NCHawker

I see the zone read action a lot but Jake never keeps it. Seems to me that for that play to be taken seriously she should run - and be a really good runner. I don't understand.

he has been running more than any KF era QB but I agree, it has to be an designed part of the offense.

I see the zone read action a lot but Jake never keeps it. Seems to me that for that play to be taken seriously she should run - and be a really good runner. I don't understand.

I am with you on this since game one against NIU. Jake has had many chances where the defensive end and outside linebacker crash down and Jake has to keep that ball and make his yards and maybe a big gain.

I'm with y'all. There have been several times, today included, where he has ridden the RB for an extremely long time, but still gives it and we get smothered. If there is ever any indecision QB's are often taught that you can never be wrong if you give...I wonder if on those really long rides that he wants to keep but ultimately decides to give because he's not 100% sure (and he doesn't want to lay the ball on the ground).

No clue what is going through his head, but this is my guess...we will need to keep that at least once at some point otherwise we're going to continue to see fast-flow on any run plays out of the gun.

Anyone ever think that maybe they are designed gives? Sometimes in the option the coaches decide what is going to happen and call a give or a keep and the player does it and doesn't actually read the de. This happens a lot in HS football and I am sure they do it in college too.

Anyone ever think that maybe they are designed gives? Sometimes in the option the coaches decide what is going to happen and call a give or a keep and the player does it and doesn't actually read the de. This happens a lot in HS football and I am sure they do it in college too.

It could be. At that level (D-1A) it seems a little odd they'd be pre-determining it, but it's certainly possible. I thought this came up in one of the pressers, but a quick search couldn't bring anything back.

I believe that jake is too valuable to serve up to that abuse. Also. Hard to play action off of that play

Keep him under center. Let mark and company take on linebackers. Let jake throw play action over top. That what we pay him to do.

I believe that jake is too valuable to serve up to that abuse. Also. Hard to play action off of that play

Keep him under center. Let mark and company take on linebackers. Let jake throw play action over top. That what we pay him to do.

It's actually really easy to play action off of that play.

He's a decoy...right or wrong...and all he's trying to do is hold the end long enough for the back to get past. It's not working...the other teams ends are told to crash down. If we keep running that sequence, Jake has to take the ball and run to keep the defense honest, otherwise don't hold the ball in the back's stomach. I like it as I know Rudock can get yards if he keeps it. I just don't want him taking unnecessary shots. I guess if Manziel can run like he does, we should be able to let Rudock run a bit and take a few chances...and after all, Beathard is the greatest football player in the history of college football. Then he can play.

He's a decoy...right or wrong...and all he's trying to do is hold the end long enough for the back to get past. It's not working...the other teams ends are told to crash down. If we keep running that sequence, Jake has to take the ball and run to keep the defense honest, otherwise don't hold the ball in the back's stomach. I like it as I know Rudock can get yards if he keeps it. I just don't want him taking unnecessary shots. I guess if Manziel can run like he does, we should be able to let Rudock run a bit and take a few chances...and after all, Beathard is the greatest football player in the history of college football. Then he can play.

Except using him as a decoy isn't working. Defenses are selling out on the running back now because Rudock hasn't kept it even one time.

A decoy only works if people believe he might keep the ball.

I remember the shock when Stanzi kept the ball on a zone read at PSU in 2009. Didn't even know we had such a scheme in the playbook at that time. It was brilliant, he ran for about 8 yards and got a key 1st down.

I remember the shock when Stanzi kept the ball on a zone read at PSU in 2009. Didn't even know we had such a scheme in the playbook at that time. It was brilliant, he ran for about 8 yards and got a key 1st down.

To this day, I still don't believe that was a zone read. I think Stanzi just saw a huge opening and improvised; he had to really yank the ball away from Robinson.

To this day, I still don't believe that was a zone read. I think Stanzi just saw a huge opening and improvised; he had to really yank the ball away from Robinson.

I agree I think I remember the RB (Robinson?) turning around after Stanzi kept it looking around for the ball cause he thought there was a fumble

I would bet my left n.. that he has been told NOT to run on the zone read. I don't think they want to risk him, at least at this point. As we get into BT play...well, maybe.

I was saying this the first game... lol what is the point of a zone read if he never takes it?

Agreed and i dont have the numbers but it felt like they ran it more in the first game than they have the last two but I'm ready to scrap it if jake doesn't start to keep it.

Latest posts