Your Ranking For Iowas Runningbacks Next Year

1.Brinson
2.Hampton
3.Wegher
4.Robinson

I really like Robinson and Wegher, but I wasn't very impressed with their abilities compared to other running backs in college football.

We all know that the coaches are going to throw the position wide open to competition in the spring and summer. So if you're predicting the depth chart order for next year, you're trying to predict how this competition will play out. Hard to say. Nobody is #1 on the depth chart right now.

I think Jewel combines physicality, balance, and speed better than the rest. If he's healthy, I think he will eventually rise to #1. Arob and Wegher should share the second position. I hope the coaches go with the three-headed monster. Keep all the backs fresh and wear defenses down in the 2nd half.

1. Hampton
2. Wegher
3. Robinson
And in my opinion it's not even close. Wegher hits the hole a lot faster than ARob and he played injured for most of the season...when no one else was there and it was an injured wegher or paki BW was there to answer the call. And go watch last year's highlights...there is a reason everyone is so high on Jewel...he's a VERY determined runner who by the end of the year was finishing runs like Greene...putting his shoulders down and plowing people.

By far one of our deepest positions though.

THANK GOD Lester Erb is our RB's coach and NOT you

Nope, not joking at all. I don't think he's that good as a Big 10 RB. This is my opinion from what I've observed and the fact that we had the best offensive line in the Big 10 this year.

It's my opinion so no need to conclude that I'm joking because I'm not. The great thing is that we'll be able to see how it all unfolds in less than 1 year.

edit: I quoted the wrong person. This post has nothing to do with Lester Erb. He's a great RB coach.

Last edited:
We all know that the coaches are going to throw the position wide open to competition in the spring and summer. So if you're predicting the depth chart order for next year, you're trying to predict how this competition will play out. Hard to say. Nobody is #1 on the depth chart right now.

I think Jewel combines physicality, balance, and speed better than the rest. If he's healthy, I think he will eventually rise to #1. Arob and Wegher should share the second position. I hope the coaches go with the three-headed monster. Keep all the backs fresh and wear defenses down in the 2nd half.

I don't agree with the first part of your post. As much as I appreciate and respect this staff we all know that at times they have shown a propensity to go with seniority and experience, not necessarily fresh talent, and demonstrated a frustrating stubborness to change. (In your college football dictionary see Jake Christensen.)

This is an interesting challenge for this staff to have. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I think people look back and see that he, not Robinson was Greene's backup in 2008. I think we are also pretty sure the he would have been the starter this year if healthy. I think those lead people to assume that Hampton will be the starter next year.

I don't know who will be starting, but whoever it is will have earned it by beating the other two out, so that is nice!

Of course Hampton was Greene's backup in 2008. That was never up to dispute.

And of course Hampton came into 2009 as the #1 for RBs. He was ranked #1 because he had, by far, the most experience. However, this year, he is in 3rd place for experience.

Being the least expereinced, plus not playing a game for 18 months at the start of next season, plus recovering from a serious knee injury really leads me to beleive that Hampton will have to play his way up to #1...it won't be handed to him.

Okay, Ghost, I agree that #1 will not be handed to Hampton. But I don't think ARob or Wegher will "inherit" the #1 spot from this season -- even for spring practice. I'm pretty sure the coaches will open it up to competition. And I think all three of them have a shot at winning the starting spot in the fall. It's my opinion that Jewel will be the best running back. But it's not guaranteed at all, given his injury and the development of AR and BW.

1. Brandon Wegher because once he has a complete off-season with Doyle he will be an absolute beast. In the OB he showed that he is capable of running with power. Also, for the people who don't think he has game breaking speed, just look at the NW game where he has a 50+ yard TD run called back for "holding". (Still makes me mad!)
2. A-Rob. He is a great back that runs hard and is an AMAZING leader for how young he is. I believe that he will also develop very, nicely with Doyle in this off-season. Also, he is very underrated as a pass catcher out of the back field.
3. Jewel Untill he proves that he can handle the load and stay healthy i have to give the other two the nod. I believe that Jewel will be back with his aggressive style of running, but i do not know if he will still have the cutting ability that he had before.
4. Whoever bust their butt in camp. We don't have any true ability to judge the remaining players because we have relatively no knowledge of their abilities in games so its really who ever impresses the coaching staff the most.
Any way we look at it, we are loaded at RB and we should be in for a great season next year!

Sounds like Josh Brown is transferring to Murray St, per his facebook. That puts Iowa down to 8 RB's, which is still plenty.

I'm gonna go with this ranking.
1a. ARob/Wegher
1b. Hampton
4. Brinson

Last edited:

Latest posts