Your Ranking For Iowas Runningbacks Next Year

Anyone who has Hampton #1...where are you guys getting this crap?

Here are the advantages Robinson/Wegher have over Hampton coming into camp:

1. Hampton has neevr had to go up against a defense that has game planned him all week.
2. Hampton has never gone up against a defense that was fresh.
3. Hampton has never had "touches that matter". He was never in the game at important moments.
4. Hampton has about half the snaps of both Wegher and Robinson individually.
5. Hampton's first season was about the best possible circumstances for a freshman RB. Wegher and Robinson were about the worst possible circumstances. Hampton has proven he can succeed when things are going easy. Wegher and Robinson have proven they can succeed when things are going rough.

1. What exactly would a defense do differently if they were gameplanning for JH instead of Greene? Its not like the offensive plays are different depending on the running back. Plus they were fairly similar in style. Do you think teams gameplanned differently for when Wegher was in the game vs Arob this year? I can't imagine that they would. All the plays are the same.
2. By "fresh" are you referring to the first series of the game? Because otherwise his carries were interspersed throughout the game. Sometimes he got the first carries of a series, is that a fresh defense?
3. Again, Hampton's carries were spread throughout each game in all kinds of situations. He may not have been in the game at the end of a close game but he wasn't just mop-up duty as you may be suggesting.
4. This may be true. I haven't checked the stats.
5. Not sure what this means. Hampton's carries came during an 8-4 season that had a rough start with some close losses. Arob and BW were undefeated throughout most of the season.

Here's my prediction assuming a healthy Jewel Hampton:
1. JH
2. AR
3. BW

Coming back from a knee injury can always be a tough thing. Being 100% recovered is different than having 100% confidence in his knee. Regardless, I think by mid season JH should be getting the majority of carries.

The only problem with that is its just not true. Wegher is far from being a player that can take it to the house at any moment. Proof being the fact that his longest run of the season was the 32 yarder against GT.

I think he had a longer one (or just as long) towards the end of the Indiana game. He also had a 60 yard run against NW that got called back on a bogus holding call.

We got proof this year that neither Robinson or Wegher are featured running backs at this point in their careers. They may still grow into that role but to start the year I think we should give Hampton a chance to show that he is a featured back.

Even if Hampton proves to be a good featured back I don't think we need to stick to the sc.ript (why is this trying to edit the word scri.pt) of having one featured back and then one change of pace back. I like the idea of having Hampton get the bulk of the carries if he proves to be good enough...but I see no reason why we can't/shouldn't rotate multiple backs at the #2 spot.

I would say:

1) Hampton gets a chance to earn this spot
2) Wegher because he's probably a better change of pace back...if I could only have him or Robinson as a backup I'd take Wegher...if I had to choose between the two as a starter I'd take Robinson.
3) Robinson
4) Brinson...he's a wild card because I think we all realize there is a possibility that he's a legit stud.
5) Coker...he'll almost certainly redshirt.
6) Rogers...I think he fits better at fullback...which will be nice because we haven't had many fullbacks that are a legitimate threat to run the ball effectively if indeed he proves that he can run the ball like a big running back.

I also have to agree that Hampton got meaningful carries against defenses that were trying every bit as hard as they did against Greene...if you remember Hampton had the majority of our long runs and Greene rarely went for more than 20 yards. Although, he did have a mean offensive line with the exception of Eubanks who didn't really start playing well until this past year...so there are still some question marks as to his ability to run behind a line that isn't opening gaping holes like we did at times two years ago. Lastly, the fact that defenses weren't gameplanning specifically for Hampton means absolutely nothing and is borderline stupid.

We got proof this year that neither Robinson or Wegher are featured running backs at this point in their careers. They may still grow into that role but to start the year I think we should give Hampton a chance to show that he is a featured back.

Even if Hampton proves to be a good featured back I don't think we need to stick to the sc.ript (why is this trying to edit the word scri.pt) of having one featured back and then one change of pace back. I like the idea of having Hampton get the bulk of the carries if he proves to be good enough...but I see no reason why we can't/shouldn't rotate multiple backs at the #2 spot.

I would say:

1) Hampton gets a chance to earn this spot
2) Wegher because he's probably a better change of pace back...if I could only have him or Robinson as a backup I'd take Wegher...if I had to choose between the two as a starter I'd take Robinson.
3) Robinson
4) Brinson...he's a wild card because I think we all realize there is a possibility that he's a legit stud.
5) Coker...he'll almost certainly redshirt.
6) Rogers...I think he fits better at fullback...which will be nice because we haven't had many fullbacks that are a legitimate threat to run the ball effectively if indeed he proves that he can run the ball like a big running back.

I also have to agree that Hampton got meaningful carries against defenses that were trying every bit as hard as they did against Greene...if you remember Hampton had the majority of our long runs and Greene rarely went for more than 20 yards. Although, he did have a mean offensive line with the exception of Eubanks who didn't really start playing well until this past year...so there are still some question marks as to his ability to run behind a line that isn't opening gaping holes like we did at times two years ago. Lastly, the fact that defenses weren't gameplanning specifically for Hampton means absolutely nothing and is borderline stupid.

Because the word "******" is associated with computer viruses and whatnot, and this site's software is using the filter as a way of preventing viruses.

It's easily Hampton, Wegher, Robinson then Brinson/Coker. However I do see Kirk using a three headed monster for the first half of the year and then finding out who's best suited for the remainder of the season to carry the bulk of the carries.

LGEND24 is right, Hampton runs like he need anger management... And BTW I like AROB and he has a lot of heart but he just doesn't have that X factor that I believe Hampton and a couple other backs have... I'm callin' it right now, Hampton Big 10 RB of the year....

What on Earth are you guys seeing in Hampton that makes you think he is the second coming of Ronnie Harmon?

Honestly, the guy has about 90 carries in his career as a backup, and you are ready to annoint him as the obvious starter.

I am not trying to be down on Hampton, but Wegher and Robinson have just proven more to me than him.

Jewel was a stud. Being number two behing greene overshadowed how great he really is. Dude has crazy acceleration and the ability to hit/find the seem. I thinhe will be like a man possessed this year and hanlde biz. A-rob is a great and has plenty of time to grow. He needs to be a little more patient. Weg is clearly fast but also needs growth in finding the gap and the best time to cut

1.) Jewel - not even close decision
2.) A-Rob - due to his style
2.) Weg - He will be alot like Jewel was to Greene IMO

Nice contribution to this thread. Calling two people out for their personal rankings of Iowa's RBs. You should be automatically banned for showing how much you suck at life and bringing absolutely nothing to the table. I actually don't know how you're calling both of us tools when the only spots the same are our #1 and #4 spots.

If it's about Jewel being #1...

Jewel Hampton is the best running back we have BY FAR. He runs angry, good speed, and finishes runs. He would have been a difference maker this year and will be huge for us next year (barring injury). There's a difference between being an above average RB and being a PLAYMAKER.
Still a tool!

What on Earth are you guys seeing in Hampton that makes you think he is the second coming of Ronnie Harmon?

Honestly, the guy has about 90 carries in his career as a backup, and you are ready to annoint him as the obvious starter.

I am not trying to be down on Hampton, but Wegher and Robinson have just proven more to me than him.

I think people look back and see that he, not Robinson was Greene's backup in 2008. I think we are also pretty sure the he would have been the starter this year if healthy. I think those lead people to assume that Hampton will be the starter next year.

I don't know who will be starting, but whoever it is will have earned it by beating the other two out, so that is nice!

I personally don't think Wegher is that good at RB. I think he'd make a great slot WR.

Jewel
Robinson/Brinson
Coker
Wegher

You are either joking, didn't watch any Hawkeye football this year, or you are just stating something you heard somebody else say. BW did a great job this year and deserves to be in the discussion at rb. Come on man, he's true freshman play big time college ball and did great!!!! What was it you wanted to see from him that you saw Brinson , Rogers, Hampton, or Coker do this THIS year?

Our Depth Chart at RB, looks like this as of Jan 5, 2010

Brandon Wegher
Adam Robinson
Hampton, if healthy
O'Meara
Brinson/Rogers/J Brown

this shall be answered this spring and summer. Everybody knows that seniority and experience gets PT in early games but by game 4 we should have a good answer.

Actually, it's much more important what happens in August, September and October, November than ANYTHING that goes on in the Spring.

Wegher-Bombs for the House............I'm buying another round

I'm thinking maybe you'll see a little more of a revamped offense that utilizes more backs. Lining up 2 or maybe 3 and throwing the ball to the backs on shorter patterns. Trying to either get them 1 on 1 with a linebacker or just getting them in space.

Latest posts