Your Ranking For Iowas Runningbacks Next Year

reamkore

1. Arob - Consistantly gains yardage by the chunk.

2. Jewel - was more impressive than either of the other 2 freshmen but is coming of major injury

3. Wegher - The explosive Boom or Bust player. Will follow two straight losses with a 15 yard gain. And as weve seen is the only guy who can take it to the house at any moment.

3. Wegher - The explosive Boom or Bust player. Will follow two straight losses with a 15 yard gain. And as weve seen is the only guy who can take it to the house at any moment.

The only problem with that is its just not true. Wegher is far from being a player that can take it to the house at any moment. Proof being the fact that his longest run of the season was the 32 yarder against GT.

1. A healthy Jewel
2.Robinson simply because he has the ability to grind it out and doesn't get hit for negative yards as much as Wegher.

I'm sure the next guy on the depth chart would be Wegher but won't matter much unless someone is injured.

1. Arob- very good back, will only get better in the off season
2. Wegher- Very good back, looking forward to him getting a lil more size to him!
3. Jewell- Don't know how he will come back from this injury, it could affect him more than we think. A knee injury could sideline him again if he gets hit just right. I'm gonna say he will be #3 on the depth chart before the season.
4. Brinson- looking forward to see what this kid can do, he is a very good size back with pretty good speed.
5. Coker- This future is bright for this kid, he is gonna be the next shonn greene. His highlight videos are impressive and he was on a nationally ranked team, so you know he wasn't playing a cake schedule!

Jewel sure does get a lot of love around here from the little experience has has not to mention he was running behind Greene.

Jewel
Wegher
Arob

Hard to say right now, I was a tad more impressed with Wegher this year. Anyways I think atleast one of these backs will be a monster and I feel confident with this area of our offense. As long as the offensive line is there to give em room.

I personally don't think Wegher is that good at RB. I think he'd make a great slot WR.

Jewel
Robinson/Brinson
Coker
Wegher

1. Hampton (ran behind Greene, but showed vision, speed and the ability to run over/through defenders. Has "it").
2. Wegher/Arob (good backs and we've seen their potential, but spring and August will separate the two)

I think we will see alot of the 3 above next year.

3. Rogers/Brinson (the unknowns: I'm very interested to see what these two show in the spring and August. Wouldn't be surprised to see Rogers get some play time at fullback - with some touches).

4. Coker - unless he is some unnatural beast (wishful thinking), my guess is redshirt.

We've got some real talent at RB for a few years. Hope our OL comes together strong very early in the season.

Last edited:
Arob- Proved to be the better back and grew more as the year went on... unfortunate injury slowed him down but has the 'it' factor you like to see and has earned the top spot.
JH- While he was the hands down top back for this year he needs to see if he can regain that momentum after sittign a year w an injury... Would put him into the #1 but Arob deserves that spot as he has earned it.
BW has the experience and has shown some big moments but missed a lot as well when compared to Arob the talent and work ethic is there but can he be that go to back and make the smart decisons quickly when carrying the ball?
Brinson and Coker are still unknown until they take the field

wow - great question. Its a tough call for sure

I would go with:

1) Jewell if fully healthy
2) Arob is a close second for me - he grinds out the tough yards and can wear down a defense
3) Wegher - he could easily move up this list.
4) Coker
5) Rodgers
6) Paki
7) Brinson - joking putting him 7th but part of me wonders if he actually exists. Ive heard hes the greatest running back in the history of football but ive only seen him tote the ball once. I think he might just be a hologram or something. Until I see proof that he is an actual human and not a hologram im putting him last

Iowa definitely has a great problem with the depth at this position

Last edited:
Right now Iowa has 2 proven RB's(A-Rob and BW), I know Jewell had some good playing time before he got hurt but who knows how that knee injury has affected his play, same for Brinson. Right now it will be the A-Rob and BW show until one of them gets hurt or messes up, unless somebody steps up during the spring. I love the two back system we have now and I wouldnt mind them throwing a bone to the other two during the game. We are deep at alot of positions so I dont see any of these guys changing spots for next year's team. WR(DJK, McNutt, Sandeman, Davis, Chaney) and DB(Sash, Greenwood, Bernstein, Prater, Lowe, Cato). Maybe Linebacker since we just lost two studs but I dont know I'm not the coach. KF has some tough decisions to make this off-season and whatever he decides I will back his play. As for the ?, I'm going with
1 A-Rob and BW: I like them about the same
3 Jewell and Brinson: I wanna see how they play after their injuries before I decide.

Anyone who has Hampton #1...where are you guys getting this crap?

Here are the advantages Robinson/Wegher have over Hampton coming into camp:

1. Hampton has neevr had to go up against a defense that has game planned him all week.
2. Hampton has never gone up against a defense that was fresh.
3. Hampton has never had "touches that matter". He was never in the game at important moments.
4. Hampton has about half the snaps of both Wegher and Robinson individually.
5. Hampton's first season was about the best possible circumstances for a freshman RB. Wegher and Robinson were about the worst possible circumstances. Hampton has proven he can succeed when things are going easy. Wegher and Robinson have proven they can succeed when things are going rough.

1. Arob- very good back, will only get better in the off season
2. Wegher- Very good back, looking forward to him getting a lil more size to him!
3. Jewell- Don't know how he will come back from this injury, it could affect him more than we think. A knee injury could sideline him again if he gets hit just right. I'm gonna say he will be #3 on the depth chart before the season.
4. Brinson- looking forward to see what this kid can do, he is a very good size back with pretty good speed.
5. Coker- This future is bright for this kid, he is gonna be the next shonn greene. His highlight videos are impressive and he was on a nationally ranked team, so you know he wasn't playing a cake schedule!

This is more or less my assessment. Hampton will need to show he's fully recovered and the injury isn't hampering him.

So nice to be discussing how to rank at least three good RBs with experience and what sound like two talented newcomers. As we know all too well that position can be thinned pretty quickly with injuries.

Both A-Rob and BW were hurt a lot this year. Wegher is just a freshman and hasn't had a full off season with Doyle. We can't be sure how much the injury will affect Hampton. Don't know much about Brinson other than message board lore.

Some of you must not of watched the Orange Bowl to say Wegher isn't that good of a back. I think the coaches have a real dilemma in deciding who to play.

It doesn't matter how you order them, I am E-X-C-I-T-E-D, to have all this depth. I just hope the the offensive line can help us makes the best of this 3 headed monster

I really think Adam Robinson has to be #1 on the depth chart. He proved he could get tough yards, to the inside and outside. Based soley on what happened last year I think Brandon Wegher has to be #2 until Hampton proves he is healthy and shows it on gameday.

Why not just do it committee style-- imagine the freshness they'd have and keeping defenses on their toes to have 3 maybe 4 constantly different running backs--not to mentioned each back brings something different to the table.

i think this is a fantastic problem to have and should only help bolster our offensive schemes and plan of action----

GhostofBTT makes a valid point about hampton-- i felt the same way through out the year thinking, boy, just wait till hampton is back and then wait a minute--uggh---we just went 11-2 and bcs win---

However, it should not be overlooked about Hampton and his talent--- true he played in much easier circumstances than wegher/robinson but he does bring a good quality to the table not to mentioned speed---wow he just takes off (wegher has that too--and the kid should be a gymastic player as he can jump over anything)

Untill spring and summer camp (really summer camp) it's a total toss up and will be interesting to see--- Just think too--robinson and wegher are going to be much better and i can't imagine what a loaded playbook we should have with all the various talent---

Quick note about the OL--- everyone is concerned about it---
here is my comfort--- Our offense line is going to have to practice against what i believe will be the best defense in the league, not to mention perhaps top 5 if not best front 4 in the nation(yes OH state--- competing with you) You dont' think KF won't turn that front 4 loose on that offensive line-- hell yeah they will----

wow - great question. Its a tough call for sure

I would go with:

1) Jewell if fully healthy
2) Arob is a close second for me - he grinds out the tough yards and can wear down a defense
3) Wegher - he could easily move up this list.
4) Coker
5) Rodgers
6) Paki
7) Brinson - joking putting him 7th but part of me wonders if he actually exists. Ive heard hes the greatest running back in the history of football but ive only seen him tote the ball once. I think he might just be a hologram or something. Until I see proof that he is an actual human and not a hologram im putting him last

Iowa definitely has a great problem with the depth at this position

Soooo youre going to put a guy that redshirted this year and a guy that still in high school over Brinson.. atleast he has a carry.... i know you said youre joking but c'mon maaaaaan haha

Latest posts