Your Nominations for FB Division Names

I think whatever happens will be temporary. There'll be more teams in a year or two.

At least I think so, I certainly hope all this hoopla wasn't to get Nebraska. Perhaps they were after Notre Dame and got the door slammed in their face but I think it's still gonna grow. Ferentz even said he thought it'd go to 16 and I think he knows more then me.

And I know football is the cash cow but if we do add schools I hope they are decent at basketball too. I love both sports and with just adding Nebraska we've made the Big Ten weaker in basketball.

Plains and Lakes is a great suggestion - although it feels odd not to have Minnesota in a Lakes division.

Seems like a division should be named after Ed Hightower. I remember my dad talking about him during Iowa basketball games in the mid-80s. Hightower looks exactly the same today. Pillar of the conference - even if he is a basketball ref.

Or maybe, like ESPN, the BTN will expand to two channels. They could call the divisions Big Ten Network Channel 1 and Big Ten Network Channel 2.

Thanks for adding Yost. If the division were to follow and east/west pattern Stagg could be the west and Yost the east.

Agreed

though it'd be weird honoring a guy who's school left the conference 60 years ago and a guy who's coaching tenure included the years when his school left the conference and then returned. Though I think all of Yost's national titles occurred while Michigan was in the conference.

Peace and Love
Ying and Yang
Abbott and Costello
Peanut Butter and Jelly
Sticks and Stones
Fire and Rain

I've got more.

is there anything to actually back that up (like has it been suggested by conference insiders they will break those 3 up?) or is it the feeling of many hawk fans (not wanting to be the new big XII north) that I stated above?

There is no way your proposed WEST division will resemble the B12 north and here is why:
Program stability.
Iowa, Wisconsin, Neb and even Northwestern have stability in their coaching staffs.

However things shake out, I think Iowa and Ohio State will be in opposite divisions, so I propose the (Nile) Kinnick Division and the (Jesse) Owens Division. Michigan fans may not like being in a division named after a Buckeye, but Jesse Owens is basically a national hero. If you're going to name divisions after people, you should go WAAAAY back and pick people who are still legends after decades have come and gone.

I think Fielding Yost, legendary football pioneer though he was, was the #1 person who fought to keep Notre Dame out back when the Domers wanted to be in the Big Ten. Many Irish fans believe anti-Catholic prejudice was a part of this. Since the Big Ten still seems to be trying to land Notre Dame, naming a division after Yost may not be a wise move.

Berwanger is a good suggestion. Or Stagg. I like the idea of giving UC a shout-out as a former BT (and current CIC) member. Other WAAAAY-back guys who would be good are Red Grange from Illinois and Bronko Nagurski from Minnesota.

Latest posts