Your Nominations for FB Division Names

eyekwah

Rather than start a poll without the benefit of building a list of nominations it seems like a good idea to build a list then post the responses as a poll. Here are some possibilities to get things started and why.

1. Berwanger: In honor of Jay Berwanger of the University of Chicago, the first recipient of the Heisman trophy. The U of C was an original member of the conference and would recognize the historical traditions in the Big Ten.
  2. Stagg: In honor of Amos Alonzo Stagg the long time coach at the U of C. If you do some research Stagg had a prolific influence on the sport.
  3. Outland: With the addition of Nebraska 19 Big Ten Players have been recognized as winners of the Outland trophy, the best interior lineman.

Dont you think its just going to be "East" and "West"?

yes it will. unless they do some crazy alignment.

my money is on WI, IA, NE, IL, NW, IN in the west

the remaining 6 in the east. it would make the most sense geographically

this is the division Iowa fans should be hoping for too. it would be the easiest road to the championship game. (big ten championship game that is)

Last edited:
yes it will. unless they do some crazy alignment.

my money is on WI, IA, NE, IL, NW, IN in the west

the remaining 6 in the east. it would make the most sense geographically

this is the division Iowa fans should be hoping for too. it would be the easiest road to the championship game. (big ten championship game that is)

I see where you are coming from with this, But That REALLY would make the 2 divisions way to one sided. Thats almost worse then the Big 12 North.

I see where you are coming from with this, But That REALLY would make the 2 divisions way to one sided. Thats almost worse then the Big 12 North.

true, but it makes the most sense. and right now it would be relatively equal. but I can't imagine Michigan staying the crapper for too long.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they went with this. I'll say for sure this is what IN, NW, and IL will be lobbying for. they want their stadiums full and those border state games will help them significantly.

and screw it if you're in the weaker division. you knock of tOSU in the big ten championship game and you're in the BCS, it doesn't matter how you got there

I think hawk fans have this "we don't want all the smack we ran at ISU about being in the crappy big XII north" to come back around type of thing going on.

Last edited:
Even though it doesnt make any sense geographically I think Penn State will be in the West and Mich/OSU will be in the East.

I doubt They put OSU, PSU and Michigan in the same division

Even though it doesnt make any sense geographically I think Penn State will be in the West and Mich/OSU will be in the East.

I doubt They put OSU, PSU and Michigan in the same division

is there anything to actually back that up (like has it been suggested by conference insiders they will break those 3 up?) or is it the feeling of many hawk fans (not wanting to be the new big XII north) that I stated above?

From a previous thread, I think Black and Blue would be funny division names. I could see corporate sponsors rearing their ugly head as well. Miller and Bud? Tastes great and Less filling? Shane, help me out here.

is there anything to actually back that up (like has it been suggested by conference insiders they will break those 3 up?) or is it the feeling of many hawk fans (not wanting to be the new big XII north) that I stated above?

As I stated it was my opinion, at this point I dont think anyone has many facts either way. Also, my opinion has nothing to do with the Big 12 North. I would prefer OSU, UM and PSU stay together because it would be easier for Iowa. The only people who would care if that happened would be ISU fans complaining about Iowas "easy division". Right?

This divisional setup is based on geography BUT not by just east/west schools. I looked at what B10 schools are located near a body of water and then what schools were more located in rural locations (Indiana/Purdue go into Lakes division for balance). This divisional setup makes Penn State more logical for addition in the "Plains" division rather than "West" (when it is the furthest east). This divisional setup is what a lot of people are wanting for football balance. Naming conferences simply "East/West" is unoriginal (yet understandable) but confusing if PSU is in the "West" division. So why not "Great Plains" and "Great Lakes"? Plus the Big Ten prides itself on being a midwest/plains states conference with some universities providing beautiful water front views.

Great Lakes

Northwestern
Indiana
Michigan
Michigan State
Ohio State
Purdue

Great Plains
Iowa
Nebraska
Illinois
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Penn State

Lakes and Plains

Lakes and Plains

Lakes and Plains is my favorite. Neb & Ia are the only schools in states that do not boarder a great lake.

Others:

Single Wing & Wishbone

Goal Line & End Zone

Blitz & Rush

Gridiron & ?

Latest posts