Your favorite 09 Stanzi pass

I like the throw to Moeaki vs. Michigan. Stanzi checks off the original play as he sees a sell out blitz and Moeaki is wide open. 35 yards down field untouched

I'm not even going to bother with the obvious one (McNutt). Some of these have been mentioned, but I'll list the ones that come to my mind:

TD pass to Moeaki at Wisconsin (beautiful ball regardless, but he made that throw on the run).

He made another GORGEOUS throw into double coverage to Moeaki at UW as well. Can't remember the situation, but Ricky threw it and floated it perfectly into Tony's hands. And in case nobody remembers, Ricky threw the ball before Tony even looked back for it.

The Orange Bowl TD's to Sandeman and McNutt.

The long bomb to DJK against Michigan (perfect throw against the 2nd best corner in the Big Ten last year, Donovan Warren).

And there are many others that go unnoticed because they seem so routine, like passes that he makes out of bounds, where on the receiver (usually DJK) is the only one who can make the catch on the sidelines. He makes those throws quite often on third downs, and the play gets made right at the sticks.

Oh, and the throw he made to DJK against Indiana near the end of the first half. DJK, running a post, catches a pass inside the 5 that Stanzi lofted JUST past the defender's fingertips. That play set up Wegher's first TD.

You nailed this one, that was one of the prettiest throws I've EVER seen a Hawk QB make, perfectly placed so that all Colin had to do was extend his arms. Just a beautiful pass.

i wouldn't even say he extended his arms. looked to me like he just kept running and his natural arm motion from running put his arm right where it needed to be, lol. just a gorgeously thrown ball. i remember thinking, there's no way sandeman is catching that ball. that thought was quickly replaced by yelling "touchdown iowa" in my best dolph voice

oh, and when 7 got 6 was obviously the play of the year. 7 got 6

Long bomb to DJK against Michigan may have been as pretty as any of them.

This would be my #3 behind the Moeaki vs Wisconsin, Sandeman Vs GFa Tech. The McNutt 2 yd was a classic, a difficult throw and absolutely enormous, however these 3 were incredible.

The DJK bomb was also 3rd and long.

For me it's got to be Stanzi to McNutt, for the simple reason that there will NEVER be anymore pressure on Stanzi then there was that night, that play. The dude has ice flowing through his veins.

The OB Sandeman throw looked like an optical illusion to me...the ball just appearred in Colins hands..
The Tony TD vs Wisky is #2 for me...squeezed that baby in there with little room to operate and on the dead run.

Ricky is very accurate on long tosses...love that.

All the ones mentioned were great. I seem to also remember 2 bombs down the sidelines against Arkansas state that were dropped in there perfectly.

I'm too young to remember Long so I can say Stanzi throws the best deep ball of any Iowa qb I can remember. I love Drew Tate but I remember him regularly overthrowing guys on deep balls. Tate's response: Remember that ball I threw to Warren Halloway, nuff said. :)

Stanzi is quite the enigma for me......He doesn't have a big arm, but he can make every throw with pinpoint accuracy....it is Drew Brees like.

Favorite pass: Mcnutt/MSU game

NFL calibur type pass: The sideline fade to Sandeman in the Orange Bowl...just the perfect throw. The one to DJK in the Michigan game was NFL calibur as well.

If he can just eliminate some of those picks, shouldn't be any excuses......veteran receiving corp returning really shouldn't be any bad route running or someone being on the wrong page, etc...

Loved the over the middle pass to Stross in the Michigan State game (a long gainer) that led to big things later. Without that play, we don't win. It was a beautiful throw because he hit him in stride.

He also made some tremendous throws in the Arkansas State game.

Rick Stanzi is as exciting a QB as we have ever had at Iowa. 2010 should be a lot of fun.

Stanzi to McNutt against Arkansas State.....the one on the first drive of the game. an absolute strike!

I agree if Stanzi cuts down the TO's the offense will be very effective and with how good the D will be, possibly the best under Ferentz IMO, that the Hawks could have a better year than last year

This thread made me want to put this together. Here are some of my favorite Stanzi throws!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x2UUWgv1NQ[/ame]

Last edited:
This thread made me want to put this together. Here are some of my favorite Stanzi throws!

YouTube - Stanzi.mov

Deanvogs comes through again!!

One of the main reasons I started this thread to see if anyone would mention that pass RS made to Sandeman against AZ. You put that first on your highlight film (after the OB throws). The way he moves in the pocket and flicks that mamba strike to Sande is amazing. One of the best throws I have ever seen at any level.

Thanks for the video (as always) and the music is perfect.

The TD pass to McNutt to beat MSU. My 7 year old and I were jumping up and down screaming. It was something that I will never forget.

Latest posts