Young moves up!

RADMAN

Albert moved into the back-up role behind Petersen after the last pre-season game. He is poised to make a solid move to stay in the NFL and possibly be in a position to move to a team that needs a veteran running back in a couple years. One of the greatest Hawkeyes and maybe the classiest guy we have ever had.

Cool, not the fastest guy out there so Its a credit to his fundamentals and hard work that he has stayed in the NFL this long. I would suspect Gerhardt will take the number 2 for the regular season but I dont feel bad for Albert, hes pulling down a nice check.

AY made the tackle on a punt in that SF game. I don't think you have your 3rd down, #2 RB in on punt team if you value him highly.

Good for AY! Seems like hard worker! I found a picture of AY back in my ol facebook album.

n903195252_1206354_4971.jpg

Then.... I also found this one, baaaahahaha.

n903195252_1206358_4228.jpg

Last edited:
Young is great at blitz pickups and is an OK option receiving out of the backfield, I think that's why they like him. I was watching a Vikings preseason game and there were multiple plays where an Albert Young block against an opposing blitz allowed the quarterback time for a big pass play, which drew praise from the commentators. I'm sure this did not go unappreciated by the coaches, considering they have a 40-year-old quarterback with wooden legs who he'll be helping to protect.

I saw AY at Viking Training camp in Mankato. He has put on some muscle since his Iowa days, and he was pretty well cut then.

As a Vikings fan, the less Young sees the field the better (other than special teams). He doesn't have the speed to be a big play-maker on offense, but he is a solid system guy who won't make mistakes. Every team needs those guys to fill out the squad.

As a Vikings fan, the less Young sees the field the better (other than special teams). He doesn't have the speed to be a big play-maker on offense, but he is a solid system guy who won't make mistakes. Every team needs those guys to fill out the squad.

Did you see AD trying to pick up the blitz against SF. Just abysmal.

We need him in there on passing downs.

There is a very good chance he ends up the 3rd down back this year. They are currently working in Toby Gerhart in that role but he has struggled picking up the blitz on occasion and he is not as accomplished a reciever as AY.

I dunno, seems to me if he can pick up blitzes, catch passes, not fumble, and consistently get ya 4 to 5 yards a pop that would be "big play" enough for most anybody. In other words, you want guys that can help ya move the sticks.

And don't think for a second because AY plays on special teams that he isn't valuable to the team. As a backup the fact he can get the job done on ST is a big asset and a good sign not a bad one.

And don't think for a second because AY plays on special teams that he isn't valuable to the team. As a backup the fact he can get the job done on ST is a big asset and a good sign not a bad one.

AY is definitely their second string RB. Gerhardt looked very average running the ball against 2nd/3rd string defensive guys.

Plus, AY is probably on special teams coverage as last year the Vikings coverage teams were not great. They may be placing greater emphasis on Sp Teams this year and putting more veteran players out there.

If the Vikes had any doubts about AY's abilities, they would not have kept him around for two years on the practice squad and then elevated him to a backup role. The drafting of Gerhardt was a good move as he was one of the best players on the board and teams need at least 3 solid running backs on their squad.

I always thought Young was severely underused at Iowa. He was great as a sophomore and then they just never seemed to give him the ball enough. He almost single-handedly won the MSU game in 2007. Underused and underappreciated.

He almost single-handedly won the MSU game in 2007. Underused and underappreciated.

I agree with this 100%. Iowa gave up on the run too much that year. They got stubborn and kept with it that game. Didn't seem like rocket science. AY was a great back and a great Hawk.

Did you see AD trying to pick up the blitz against SF. Just abysmal.

We need him in there on passing downs.

If the Vikings want extra pass protection (in a shotgun formation) they usually motion a TE into the backfield right behind one of the Guards as the 6th guy.

Also, that was Patrick Willis. A lot of players are going to look bad trying to block him.

Latest posts