You youngsters who don't think the Rose Bowl is a big deal

ChosenChildren

Just stay home. Please. Don't go to the game. You are right. Not a big deal. California in January really sucks. The Rose Parade stinks. Some dumb game started in 1903. No need to go. Let the old folks buy up the tickets and the airline reservations.

The Granddaddy of them all.... the original college bowl game played in an iconic stadium.

My trip there as a drummer in the HMB is still the most incredible week of my life.

In Big Ten county it may not be the national championship but as great a reward for a great season. Their is nothing in college that compares to being in the Rose Bowl.

Still say the playoff is the top destination in today's landscape, but if we can't have that, then the Rose Bowl is next best thing. Great season. Now just go and win the Roses!

Just stay home. Please. Don't go to the game. You are right. Not a big deal. California in January really sucks. The Rose Parade stinks. Some dumb game started in 1903. No need to go. Let the old folks buy up the tickets and the airline reservations.

I'm 53 which I imagine a lot of the posters on here consider old. It's a great bowl game for sure but it doesn't mean what it used to, not with the national championship playoffs we have today. The biggest game of the year was played yesterday, the Rose Bowl is a consolation prize. Back in the old days of my youth and young adulthood it wasn't a consolation prize, it was THE PRIZE. It isn't anymore.

It would definitely be a great trip to make and will probably be a great game against a very good opponent in Stanford. Should someone choose to go you would almost certainly have a great time. I lived in SoCal for 7 years, drove 5 minutes from my house to watch the Hawkeyes in the 1987 Holiday Bowl. SoCal is awesome. But it isn't as big a deal as it used to be, like when they finally made it back my sophomore year in the 1981 season. Honestly which bowl they got into didn't make one bit of difference to me.

At one point this season when it started to look like we were actually in the mix for the playoff, I actually mentioned to my Dad how I was feeling oddly bummed that if we made what is considered the pinnacle, that we'd miss out on the Rose. Not saying in any way, shape or form I'm "happy" the team isn't in the playoff, but I guess I'm just old enough to still view the Rose as the pinnacle of college ball

Well I'm 62 years young and it was on my bucket list so we're going,booked with Hawkeye Nation.Anyone have ideas on where to go on New Years Eve that won't cost me a arm and a leg that's near Omni Hotel.

Well I'm 62 years young and it was on my bucket list so we're going,booked with Hawkeye Nation.Anyone have ideas on where to go on New Years Eve that won't cost me a arm and a leg that's near Omni Hotel.

It's California. All conditions you requested for NYE can be met, except you'll need a LOT more than an arm and a leg. But you can still get along with just one of "those" :)

I can't imagine how crazy the Hawkeye Huddle will be out there.

I'm 53 which I imagine a lot of the posters on here consider old. It's a great bowl game for sure but it doesn't mean what it used to, not with the national championship playoffs we have today. The biggest game of the year was played yesterday, the Rose Bowl is a consolation prize. Back in the old days of my youth and young adulthood it wasn't a consolation prize, it was THE PRIZE. It isn't anymore.

It would definitely be a great trip to make and will probably be a great game against a very good opponent in Stanford. Should someone choose to go you would almost certainly have a great time. I lived in SoCal for 7 years, drove 5 minutes from my house to watch the Hawkeyes in the 1987 Holiday Bowl. SoCal is awesome. But it isn't as big a deal as it used to be, like when they finally made it back my sophomore year in the 1981 season. Honestly which bowl they got into didn't make one bit of difference to me.

You're right. I'm 40. Just old enough to remember the 80's Rose Bowl losses. It's the best 5th place game you can play, but after getting so excited for this season.. I got excited thinking that we could get into the playoff.

In a decade or two it will mean nothing. Unfortunately, it was cool. But things have changed and anybody with a competitive bone in their body is going to to want to be number one.

Number 6 with a better parade will not beat that.

Crazy to think about but if this was 20 years ago iowa would be 12-0 and playing in the rose bowl for a chance at a national title.

The rose bowl is still a huge deal but it's not THAT huge of a deal that it would have been back in the 90s.

At one point this season when it started to look like we were actually in the mix for the playoff, I actually mentioned to my Dad how I was feeling oddly bummed that if we made what is considered the pinnacle, that we'd miss out on the Rose. Not saying in any way, shape or form I'm "happy" the team isn't in the playoff, but I guess I'm just old enough to still view the Rose as the pinnacle of college ball

Exactly how I felt...wanted the team to win, but was bummed that meant no Rose Bowl. This is for sure a bucket list item.

We could have, should have beat MSU. Didn't happen. Huge bummer.

But it the powers that be put us in the best possible bowl they could. That's how highly regarded we are.

We won't win the NC this year. Neither will 3 of the semi finalists.

it's arithmetic.

Latest posts