You HAVE to have the players, but this is why Fran is a great coach.

Thawki

When we went up in the second half:

"That stretch was key," said Cartwright. "Coach got into us -- me and Marble. He told Marble to trust his talent and he came out and hit his next two shots, and we went from there.

And then later Cartwright hit a three when they left him wide open.

I just hope this staff is in tact for the next three years and if we lose someone it is because Francis is moving up somewhere. I really like all of the head coaching experience we have on our bench. You can be a great teacher and have been a head coach and not had great success for numerous reasons. We appear to have those kind of caches on our bench.

By the way, is Dillard's son a senior this season in high school ball or is he playing college ball somewhere?

Cartwright went on later to say (regarding the chewing by Fran) that it's the sort of thig he and Devyn need from Coach. They need to get lit up from him.

Josh said the same thing. Back to back game Fran lit him up at halftime and Josh came through with big buckets in the 2nd half of both.

In the postgame Fran said he challenged Josh at halftime...asking him if he really thought he could play in this league or not...playing way too soft. Then he said he couldn't be prouder of Josh,the way he responded.

You just cannot play scared on the road in this league. He told Marble to play like he is the best player on the floor...and he did.

You could totally see that with Josh in the first half. Just looked like he was playing not to make a mistake.

When we went up in the second half:

"That stretch was key," said Cartwright. "Coach got into us -- me and Marble. He told Marble to trust his talent and he came out and hit his next two shots, and we went from there.

And then later Cartwright hit a three when they left him wide open.

I just hope this staff is in tact for the next three years and if we lose someone it is because Francis is moving up somewhere. I really like all of the head coaching experience we have on our bench. You can be a great teacher and have been a head coach and not had great success for numerous reasons. We appear to have those kind of caches on our bench.

In Fran's post game interview with Dolph on the radio Fran said he also got into Ogelsbi saying that "I ripped Josh's face off" he also told Josh "If you want to be a player in this league you need to start acting like it" Fran then gave both Josh and Devin prayse for the effort they both put out and said they were a big reason for the improved play by the team and for the win. I for one love Fran's intensity and desire to win! I believe we are just starting to see some of Frans greatness as a coach and a motivtor of young men. Fran is just what this program needed at the right time and could not be more proud to say he is the Iowa basketball coach! GO HAWKS!!

rwtsracefan(Dan Wemett)

Excellent posts by all. It's maddening to watch this team sleepwalk through stretches in games (as McCaffrey shakes his head), then come out of a TO and execute and play intelligent basketball. Gatens and White seem like the only two guys that bring the same level of intensity/ confidence every game and the others (as referenced above) need some encouragement.

McCaffrey and his staff have done a great job with a sometimes fragile team this season.

Do You Think You Belong On This ****ing Board? Because I am sure Howe would love you over at the kiddies board!

Fran gets it, he gets into his players big time, but with the right message... you are better than you're playing.
And he always praises them publicly. This guy understands leadership and motivation.

You could totally see that with Josh in the first half. Just looked like he was playing not to make a mistake.

He plays that way a lot, he has one of the lower TORates in the nation.
That's not always a good thing, but pretty common for pure shooters. His TORate is 8.1, which ranks him 6th in the entire nation.

excellent point. This is going to be a very good team when Basabe brings a more consistent effort every night - I'm just not sure when that is going to happen (next year?)

Most people just assume this is going to happen. I am not. He is who he is. After he had that big game vs. Indiana, we had all of these posts about how "focused" Mel is now, and how he put himself together mentally.

Then he had has 10 points and 10 rebounds in the last three games COMBINED.

My only expectation for him next year is to be a capable backup for Aaron White.

Most people just assume this is going to happen. I am not. He is who he is. After he had that big game vs. Indiana, we had all of these posts about how "focused" Mel is now, and how he put himself together mentally.

Then he had has 10 points and 10 rebounds in the last three games COMBINED.

My only expectation for him next year is to be a capable backup for Aaron White.

Hopefully this "expectation" is as accurate as your expectation that Iowa would lose its last 6 games.

Hopefully the addition of Woodbury, if even limited minutes, allows a few more lineup combos to get Basabe more favorable matchups/mismatches. That is where I can see at least a glimmer of hope for improvement.

Latest posts