"You get one year of sympathy and...

Crean took over a program that was decimated and clearly in much worse shape than what Iowa's program was. Crean is in his 2nd year. He recruited a top 10 class last year. His team is ALL freshmen and sophomores and they have beaten Pitt and have been competetive this year and have won more games than they did all of last year (which isn't saying much). The point, however, is that with his YOUNG team he is making definite improvement and one of the ways was by recruiting talented kids that can compete in the Big 10.

Now look at Iowa and what Lickliter has done in year 3 in comparison. The program is now the worst it has ever done. The talent level that Lickkliter is recruiting is questionable at best. He cannot fill key spots that Iowa desperately needs. The team is YOUNG (like Indiana) but not remotely competetive this year (with the same kind of youth that Indiana has--sophomores and freshmen).

So comparing the two programs, can we as fans really say that Iowa is rebuilding? Crean is in his SECOND year, whereas Lickliter is in his THIRD year. Indiana's program is improving, Minnesota's program is a Big 10 contender, Purdue's is a national power already, Wisconsin's turned their program around in a year, and so on...AND IOWA, well Iowa's has sunk to depths never before seen at Iowa with Lickliter. We watch other new coaches go to programs and immediately begin to rebuild their programs and all Iowa fans can do is make excuses for Lickliter for WHY he HASN'T done anything and WHY he MIGHT do something in the future because he was a COY once.

Crean took over a program that was decimated and clearly in much worse shape than what Iowa's program was. Crean is in his 2nd year. He recruited a top 10 class last year. His team is ALL freshmen and sophomores and they have beaten Pitt and have been competetive this year and have won more games than they did all of last year (which isn't saying much). The point, however, is that with his YOUNG team he is making definite improvement and one of the ways was by recruiting talented kids that can compete in the Big 10.

Now look at Iowa and what Lickliter has done in year 3 in comparison. The program is now the worst it has ever done. The talent level that Lickkliter is recruiting is questionable at best. He cannot fill key spots that Iowa desperately needs. The team is YOUNG (like Indiana) but not remotely competetive this year (with the same kind of youth that Indiana has--sophomores and freshmen).

So comparing the two programs, can we as fans really say that Iowa is rebuilding? Crean is in his SECOND year, whereas Lickliter is in his THIRD year. Indiana's program is improving, Minnesota's program is a Big 10 contender, Purdue's is a national power already, Wisconsin's turned their program around in a year, and so on...AND IOWA, well Iowa's has sunk to depths never before seen at Iowa with Lickliter. We watch other new coaches go to programs and immediately begin to rebuild their programs and all Iowa fans can do is make excuses for Lickliter for WHY he HASN'T done anything and WHY he MIGHT do something in the future because he was a COY once.

same ole' crap.

same ole' crap.

3 years in a row of the Same ole Crap. Kinda gets old wouldn't ya think cibula?

After reading the comments from Hanson and Dolph in that post a while back, it really opened my eyes up.. Iowa Basketball is in SAD, SAD shape..

Last edited:
NewMex, you would save yourself a lot of time if you simply put "I have an opinion." We already know what that opinion is.

NewMex, you would save yourself a lot of time if you simply put "I have an opinion." We already know what that opinion is.

The same thing could be said for cibula. And others. Their opinions are no more valid than New Mexico's though.

What we're seeing in year 3 can't be called rebuilding. I'm throughly convinced that nothing is being built at this point - it just is what it is.

Remember the 1990 team, the year after BJ, Marble, and Horton graduated? They went 4-14 in the Big Ten. The next year, they were back in the NCAA tournament. The 1993-94 team went 11-19 after losing Earl, Barnes, Street, etc. The next year, the team won 20 games (or was it 19?) and barely missed on an NCAA bid, and were back in the year after that. It doesn't take 5 years to build a team that can make the postseason if you have a good coach.

As I mentioned in another thread ( or two ), is that Lickliter didnt build the program at Butler, he benefitted from Matta's recruiting ( three years as top assistant and one as HC ), and some veteran assistants on his bench. Here at IOWA, I dont see anything being built ( granted there are some nice young players on board and what appears to be a nice recruiting class. Though, there are many needs not addressed, and how can there be any progress withouth those holes needs being addressed ), I do see players getting very frustrated as this season goes on and it concerns me that we will have more departures at season's end. This can not continue.

Last edited:
I do see players getting very frustrated as this season goes on and it concerns me that we will have more departures at season's end. This can not continue.

Other than the fact that this year's team obviously has a LONG ways to go before it can be seriously competetive from game to game, transfers are my major concern for next year. At this rate, I honestly will be surprised if we DON'T lose more players.

If we lose another 2-3 players that play significant minutes, where does that leave us next year? I would guess in the same place as this year - inexperienced and without depth. But no more excuses. How do you make progress with that kind of roster turnover? If it happens again, I don't think anybody can call it "bad luck" anymore.

I'm struggling to figure out exactly what Iowa is trying to accomplish out there. They just seem to really struggle at everything.

Iowa will win no more than 2 games in the BIG TEN.. BOOK IT..

help me, HawkPrdatr40.

What are the comments from Dolph and Hansen to which you refer?

Dude we suck

We are going 0-18 in Conf

This is lick's 3rd year

You are what your record is

Iowa = JOKE

Latest posts