Yep, another qb thread.

HeavenHasBeer

Just had the chance to watch the game on my dvr.i work nights like 7 days/ week this time of year. I spent time with my son as i always do instead of watching the game although I did check in with dolph on occasion on the radio. I listened to jon's instant reaction. My thoughts on Rudock coming out (and me knowing Rudock was coming out) started when I saw him with a headset on right before a commercial break and in the background to the right Beathard was putting a helmet on. Beathard plays very well, and every shot they show of Rudock on the sideline he is by himself with a nervous looking body language and again not a single player around him. I'm not a psychologist or sociologist, but it seems like nobody on the team had Rudock's back and he knew it. Idk, watch it and see if you feel the same.

I see the exact same thing. Rudock looked nervous and didn't even so much as clap or smile when CJ threw the TD to Powell. He knows CJ is the better QB, as well as the rest of the team. It looks like there is a disconnect between Rudock and the rest of the team. The team does not look at him as being a leader, that much is easy to see. How could they when he blatantly craps his pants under pressure? Watch CJ, he stands in there and is willing to deliver the ball even if he knows he is going to get drilled. This offense would look totally different if CJ was given the reigns for good.

I'm willing to give Jake some credit and say he doesn't hope CJ fails but he appears to be an aloof standoffish type of guy, not a great fit for the QB of a team. The whole offense gets excited when CJ trots out, you can feel it. When CJ plays it looks like they team is having fun out there, when Jake is playing its like running through waist high mud.

He throws the ball down field with little effort. Just astounding to watch the difference between wind and chuck it up jake and a real QB.

I just don't think there is any way his teammates don't like him and show it just because they think someone else is better. I do believe they probably think CJ is better though. He has just made way more plays in way fewer opportunities to argue it anymore.

To be fair to Rudock, I did see him stand in there and take a hit or two to complete the throw and have seen it before as well. I like Rudock and he seems to give it his all and is capable of making a few plays. However, watching Beathard sling it over the top to Duzey looks effortless for him. It's obvious he has the better arm and is more than likely capable of being the better qb for this team.

This week is a huge game, needless to say. What I'm curious about is if Rudock and offense is being forced to throw the ball with Wiscy selling out to stop the run, will he get the job done. Wiscy is built to stop the run, but haven't really been tested through the air a lot. I suspect Wiscy will dare Iowa to throw. If Jake isn't getting it done, will Kirk have the nerve to go with Beathard? In the end I don't care which qb gets it done. I just hope Kirk is willing to make the change if necessary in the biggest game in recent years.

As far as the team getting pumped when CJ comes in, I agree. You can tell they like the guy and want him to succeed. That's not to say they "don't like" Rudock. I think it's a matter of the team knowing CJ is more capable of making the "big play" and that pumps them up.

Last edited:
I see the exact same thing. Rudock looked nervous and didn't even so much as clap or smile when CJ threw the TD to Powell. He knows CJ is the better QB, as well as the rest of the team. It looks like there is a disconnect between Rudock and the rest of the team. The team does not look at him as being a leader, that much is easy to see. How could they when he blatantly craps his pants under pressure? Watch CJ, he stands in there and is willing to deliver the ball even if he knows he is going to get drilled. This offense would look totally different if CJ was given the reigns for good.

Man, did you see when Jake scored on that TD run, all the starters picked him up and celebrated with him....nobody was celebrating with CJ on Jakes TD run, man that is really odd and proves the whole team hates CJ. DERP!

I think CJ should be starting, but some of this crap is beyond stupid.

Jake has no reason to feel nervous. He is the starter for the rest of his career, no matter good/bad he plays. The only thing that will knock him out as starter is an injury.

And no, I am not hoping he gets injured.

Not that I'm a Jake defender but he's also stood in there and taken some big hits. Both of our quarterbacks do not lack toughness.

JR has played some good QB. He is not a rah-rah emotional leader.

I mean, who wants a rah-rah emotional brain surgeon surgeoning on them? It is what it is and KF isn't going to change QBs.

I like Jake and I want him to do well because he is going to be the starter no matter what, and I want Iowa to win. He is a solid back up quarterback. When the starter gets hurt, he's a guy you are comfortable turning to who won't make the big mistake. But that's not how KF sees it. In my opinion if you want to get to a higher level, you have to play the guy that has more physical talent, even if he doesn't make every check down you want him to.

KF can prove me wrong by beating Wisky and Nebraska. And no I'm not saying we win those games if we start CJB, but if he were starting all year, we probably would have had a better chance.

His teammates looked pretty happy for Rudock when he ran in for a touchdown.

Beat me to it. I was thinking the same thing. In fact the entire offense was over there lifting him off the turf and slapping his helmet.

Of course Im no psychiatrist... But neither is the OP.

I'm not a psychologist or sociologist, but it seems like nobody on the team had Rudock's back and he knew it..

I know one guy who has his back.

35877_h.jpg

Jake played decently on Saturday.

But, he is Josh McCown of the Bears last year....QB by numbers.

CJ is Jay Cutler.....gun-slinger, golden arm....but can get coaches fired.

Give me the gun-slinger in a game like this....who really cares if we get blown out? Lets go for the win!

Latest posts