X's and O's stuff: defending the ball screen

When your team is in the top 30 on offense and they finish 4-14 in the conference, how many more wins do you think "scoring more points" is going to amount to? 4 more wins? 5? They were obliterated by double digits in 9 BIG games last season. With a top 30 offense.

Yep. 18-21 wins gets you where? NIT? 9th seed in the NCAA tournament? As I stated before this team has a better shot winning games 85-80 than they do grinding them out 65-60. Iowa didn't attempt many 3(s) last year I am all about increasing that number. With this squad, preventing big runs, means matching points and getting key stops late in halfs.

I don't give a shit about the NBA or what they do or don't do.
Tyler Cook is not the worst defender on this team.

I'm not saying he's the worst defender. I'm saying he needs to step up and be the team leader and not accept anything less than his or his teammates' best efforts on the defensive end of the floor.

Great points Knight. The off ball defenders are extremely important in denying the passing lanes for a quick reversal and helping on a quick lob when using the hedge. The whole defensive unit has to be aware and play the correct angles. The Woody/Uthoff/MikeG teams became very good at positioning and taking great angles when hedging. Last years' team struggled with their positioning & awareness on defense. Garza has shown the passion to be a talker like Woody was in helping direct the defense. Like you mentioned, I'd like to see Cook take on a bigger role in leading that side of the ball as well.

I'm not saying he's the worst defender. I'm saying he needs to step up and be the team leader and not accept anything less than his or his teammates' best efforts on the defensive end of the floor.
I think every player on the court needs to hold each other accountable. Why is 1 player more responsible for it than another? Baer is the SR. Why not Baer?

I think every player on the court needs to hold each other accountable. Why is 1 player more responsible for it than another? Baer is the SR. Why not Baer?

Tyler has NBA aspirations. He needs to show the scouts something more this year. I believe that the leadership role should fall to his shoulders. But I do agree that every player needs to hold each other accountable.

Tyler has NBA aspirations. He needs to show the scouts something more this year. I believe that the leadership role should fall to his shoulders. But I do agree that every player needs to hold each other accountable.
Lack of rebounding and limited range is going to derail TC's NBA dreams, IMO. This year's team desperately needs better rebounding from TC but it doesn't need him outside the 3pt arc, chucking shots up.

Lack of rebounding and limited range is going to derail TC's NBA dreams, IMO. This year's team desperately needs better rebounding from TC but it doesn't need him outside the 3pt arc, chucking shots up.

Agreed. There is no doubt Cook has the physical gifts to be a better rebounder and defender than he has shown. We'll see if he develops his jumper. No big really has at Iowa save maybe Jarryd Cole (mid range) shown during his senior year.