Xavier Simpson announcement cancelled

Damn. This would have been huge news if he committed. He could help reel in a huge class.
Actually, I thought of the announcement as good news. From his interviews, I would have assumed Xavier was his choice at this point. I know we're one of his best offers but has Simpson even visited Iowa yet?

Actually, I thought of the announcement as good news. From his interviews, I would have assumed Xavier was his choice at this point. I know we're one of his best offers but has Simpson even visited Iowa yet?

It's also possible that another more prestigious school jumped in at the last minute and has offered him. I don't see this as good news for any of the schools he was previously considering.

The latest on Simpson at EYBL:
"Simpson denied a report that he had committed to Xavier this past week. His list of scholarship offers includes Iowa, Illinois, Iowa State, Northwestern and Purdue among others."
http://hawkeyenation.com/football/hawkeye-mashup-14

Fran really needs to land a standout point guard. It's probably the most important position on a basketball team and comparable to the quarterback on a football team.

I shutter to think what our Final Four team would have been like with out Ronnie Lester. All the other players were important too and played a role on that team but with out Ronnie they were just another good team. Come on Fran make it happen. That's what we need to be a big ten champ. Your other players are good enough but we need a good quarterback (sort of).

Fran really needs to land a standout point guard. It's probably the most important position on a basketball team and comparable to the quarterback on a football team.

I shutter to think what our Final Four team would have been like with out Ronnie Lester. All the other players were important too and played a role on that team but with out Ronnie they were just another good team. Come on Fran make it happen. That's what we need to be a big ten champ. Your other players are good enough but we need a good quarterback (sort of).

Iowa is after a four star point guard from Philadelphia. Tony Carr is a pretty big guy at 6 ft 5. I wonder if the coaching staff will try and bring in two quality point guards to replace Gesell and Clemmons. I doubt they will be able to sign two high profile guards at the point, but you never know.

Last edited:
Iowa is after a four star point guard from Philadelphia. Tony Carr is a pretty big guy at 6 ft 5. I wonder if the coaching staff will try and bring in two quality point guards to replace Gesell and Clemmons. I doubt they will be able to sign to high profile guards at the point, but you never know.[/QUOTE

I certainly hope he lands this Carr kid and one more would be awesome. Once Fran does that then we have have finally and truly turned the corner.

Simpson is visiting Iowa, ISU, and Illinois before making a decision. Meanwhile, Iowa made the top 3 for Willie Jackson who is an AAU teammate of Simpson.

With 3 scholarships to give(Pemsl already committed), Fran needs another big and a PG for certain. I could see the last scholarship going to a PG, a wing, or a big.

Here are the recruits I've seen connected to the program the most since April.

PGs
- Carr
- Moore
- Simpson

Wings
- Jackson
- Santos
- Stevens

Bigs
- Cook
- Painter
- Rakocevic

Last edited:
If ever there is a year where we have a HUGE advantage in landing a 4 or 5 star point guard, it is this year. We have literally zero point guards on the roster after this year, and a kid could see himself as a 4 year starter for an NCAA caliber team. Sell it, Fran!

With 3 scholarships to give(Pemsl already committed), Fran needs another big and a PG for certain. I could see the last scholarship going to a PG, a wing, or a big.

Here are the recruits I've seen connected to the program the most since April.

PGs
- Carr
- Moore
- Simpson

Wings
- Jackson
- Santos
- Stevens

Bigs
- Cook
- Rakocevic

Dylan Painter is visiting at the end of June. He is 6 ft 10.

Latest posts