Xavier officiating was bad but Hawk's play was equally as bad

If they had called it right the entire Xavier team would have fouled out. White was fortunate he did get seriously injured when he was fouled on the slam dunk attempt. The no call on McCabe getting severely under cut. He was totally forced onto the other players back and lifted off the ground. It showed the official standing right there watching it. Then the play was reviewed and all the officials watched it. I wonder how they could not help but ask their fellow ref how much he had riding on this game???

Oh and then there was Woody's fifth foul where their center clearly pushed off Woody with an elbow as he drove to the basket. A similar but less aggressive foul was called against Woody earlier in the game. Most of the poor officiating came from the one ref that stood right there and watched McCabe get under cut. At one point Fran was so angry he went over to one of his assistance and had his assistant hold him to prevent him from yelling at the official. He was bent over in his assistants arms and you could tell he was screaming.

Excellent post, BigD......

:rolleyes:

Gotta agree - those officials were really bad, but the fact that everyone wanted to stand around and watch RDM play really hurt. Hell of a comeback once they decided to play too...

Tenn. got 3 or 4 chargiing fouls called on them and I thought that was virtually impossible to get these days.

The play that stuck in my mind was in the first half. I wasn't paying attention to the players involved, but a Xavier player took a three and under the basket, an Iowa player was literally thrown to the ground .. .. no call.

GO HAWKS!!!

Edit: Just saw the highlights. At about the 46 second mark is when the play occurs. It's GO that gets taken down.

Last edited:
There has to be 'someone' other than Marble. Very disappointed with Gesell, Woodbury, White, Utoff.... and pretty much everyone except McCabe

Good grief, go find a different sport to follow. It's basketball and there are 32+ games.

That game was called totally different than what the new emphasis is supposed to be.

Woody getting the offensive foul then being called for a defensive foul when the xavier player did a more extreem version of the same thing to him was the model of inconsistency.

That game was called totally different than what the new emphasis is supposed to be.

Woody getting the offensive foul then being called for a defensive foul when the xavier player did a more extreem version of the same thing to him was the model of inconsistency.

The first and second halves were almost like two different set of officials were calling it.

There has to be 'someone' other than Marble. Very disappointed with Gesell, Woodbury, White, Utoff.... and pretty much everyone except McCabe

Come on Man! The Hawks played poorly for most of the game and found a way to win. This is more evidence that the program is turning the corner!!!

I thought we played timid thru most of the game. To me the only ones that played aggressively throughout was Marble, McCabe, and Gabe. Gesell was big down the stretch but was basically a nonfactor till then. Uthoff played like someone who hasn't played a meaningful game in 2 years. He just had a look that he maybe a little overwhelmed at this point. I think he'll come around with time. I was disappointed with White, Mel, and Woody. They are all energy type players and they just didn't seem to have it last night. Some of it is due to the fact that Xavier had some pretty players but I think those 3 needed to step up more. All in all I was impressed by the way those guys fought and clawed to the end. Definitely a quality win over a quality opponent who outplayed us for most of the game.

I thought Gesell stepped up big time at the end of the game. I agree that he played rather poor in the first half.

If they had called it right the entire Xavier team would have fouled out. White was fortunate he did get seriously injured when he was fouled on the slam dunk attempt. The no call on McCabe getting severely under cut. He was totally forced onto the other players back and lifted off the ground. It showed the official standing right there watching it. Then the play was reviewed and all the officials watched it. I wonder how they could not help but ask their fellow ref how much he had riding on this game???

Oh and then there was Woody's fifth foul where their center clearly pushed off Woody with an elbow as he drove to the basket. A similar but less aggressive foul was called against Woody earlier in the game. Most of the poor officiating came from the one ref that stood right there and watched McCabe get under cut. At one point Fran was so angry he went over to one of his assistance and had his assistant hold him to prevent him from yelling at the official. He was bent over in his assistants arms and you could tell he was screaming.

I was that on TV too. He was so mad!

Latest posts