Xavier Nwankpa Reflects on Recent Iowa Visit

I didn't do this very systematically, but I glanced back through the instate recruits for the last decade or so, and it sure seems like Iowa almost always gets the best (maybe not according to recruit ranking, but according to outcome). Iowa commits bolded.

2019: #1 Duggan (he might end up being pretty good, missed last year with a heart issue), #2 E. Miller, #3 T. Endres, #4 J. Campbell, #12 DeJong (I included him because he is probably a big part of the reason Miller and Fenske, higher rated recruits, left); the next 2 highest rated that we didn't get (Mosai Newsom to Nebby, Darien Porter to ISU) have not played and seen special teams reps, respectively

2018: #1 Waggoner, #2 Linderbaum, #4 Doyle, #13 R. Moss; the 3 that are still here will all likely play in the NFL; didn't see any notables on the list of players that are ripping it up elsewhere

2017: #1 O. Martin, #2 Kallenberger, #3 Wirfs (Kallenberger was honorable mention all-B1G last year while Wirfs was winning a superbowl); Martin had 5 rec for 63 yards for a bad offense

2016: #1 Raridon (OL to Nebby), #2 J. Heinrich (OL to Ark), #3 S. Williams (OL), #4 S. Beyer (TE); the top 3 recruits all had their careers cut short by injuries, none played meaningful snaps; meanwhile, Beyer will be in the NFL, joining #7 Hockenson; #9 A. Schulte and #10 Banwart have outside shots at the NFL as well

2015: Iowa secured 4 of the top 5 recruits (the Paulsens were #1 and #2), and 7 of the top 9; the best player in the bunch is #7 A. Nelson

2014: #1 Pierschbacher, #2 Lazard; this is a year when a couple of really good players got away; both were great in college, and Pierschbacher has played 8 NFL games, and Lazard has a great start to his NFL career after initially being undrafted; worth noting that although missed on the top 2, they secured 6 of the top 9, including #4 M. Nelson (more NFL games and starts than Pierchbacher), and #6 K. Render, #7 Hesse, and #9 R. Reynolds (all NFL cup-of-coffee guys)

2013: #1 J. Campos (ISU OL), #2 Wisnieski (TE), #3 Trevon Young (LB committed to Iowa, offer was rescinded after several arrests, ended up at IWCC then Louisville, actually played a bit in NFL), #4 Ike Boettger, #10 Josey Jewell; 2 of these guys are NFL players, they both went to Iowa

2012: #1 A. Darboh (WR to Mich), #2 C. Rogers (Ath to ISU), #4 M. Malloy, #5 B. Hill; Darboh would have been nice; good career at Mich (2nd team all-B1G), and he played 1 year in the NFL; Rogers just played 1 year at ISU, not sure where he ended up; behind Darboh, 2nd best player in the class may have been #10 Nate Meier; also of note, #3 J. Harrington (didn't play football, ran T&F first at Alabama, transferred to Iowa where he was a B1G champ and 2nd team AA)

2011: #1 C. French (solid career at Oregon, cup of coffee in NFL), #2 Blythe (has played 71 career NFL games, started 49 of them), #3 Krieger-Coble (played in 3 NFL games)

2010: #1 AJ Derby (25 NFL games, 4 starts at TE), Matt Hock (solid DL career at Mizzou), #3 Scherff (NFL All-Pro)

Summary:
From the last 10 years (starting with the 2019 class and going backward), Iowa lost out on the top players in 2014 (though notable that M. Nelson has played and started more NFL games than Pierschbacher) and the top player in 2012. It looks like every other year they ended up with the best players, whether they were rated that way or not.

In 2021 Iowa lost out on the top 2 recruits (Fidone and Bollers), but history shows us that we need to wait about 4 years to figure out if they missed on the top players or not.

Last edited:
I didn't do this very systematically, but I glanced back through the instate recruits for the last decade or so, and it sure seems like Iowa almost always gets the best (maybe not according to recruit ranking, but according to outcome). Iowa commits bolded.

2019: #1 Duggan (he might end up being pretty good, missed last year with a heart issue), #2 E. Miller, #3 T. Endres, #4 J. Campbell, #12 DeJong (I included him because he is probably a big part of the reason Miller and Fenske, higher rated recruits, left); the next 2 highest rated that we didn't get (Mosai Newsom to Nebby, Darien Porter to ISU) have not played and seen special teams reps, respectively

2018: #1 Waggoner, #2 Linderbaum, #4 Doyle, #13 R. Moss; the 3 that are still here will all likely play in the NFL; didn't see any notables on the list of players that are ripping it up elsewhere

2017: #1 O. Martin, #2 Kallenberger, #3 Wirfs (Kallenberger was honorable mention all-B1G last year while Wirfs was winning a superbowl); Martin had 5 rec for 63 yards for a bad offense

2016: #1 Raridon (OL to Nebby), #2 J. Heinrich (OL to Ark), #3 S. Williams (OL), #4 S. Beyer (TE); the top 3 recruits all had their careers cut short by injuries, none played meaningful snaps; meanwhile, Beyer will be in the NFL, joining #7 Hockenson; #9 A. Schulte and #10 Banwart have outside shots at the NFL as well

2015: Iowa secured 4 of the top 5 recruits (the Paulsens were #1 and #2), and 7 of the top 9; the best player in the bunch is #7 A. Nelson

2014: #1 Pierschbacher, #2 Lazard; this is a year when a couple of really good players got away; both were great in college, and Pierschbacher has played 8 NFL games, and Lazard has a great start to his NFL career after initially being undrafted; worth noting that although missed on the top 2, they secured 6 of the top 9, including #4 M. Nelson (more NFL games and starts than Pierchbacher), and #6 K. Render, #7 Hesse, and #9 R. Reynolds (all NFL cup-of-coffee guys)

2013: #1 J. Campos (ISU OL), #2 Wisnieski (TE), #3 Trevon Young (LB committed to Iowa, offer was rescinded after several arrests, ended up at IWCC then Louisville, actually played a bit in NFL), #4 Ike Boettger, #10 Josey Jewell; 2 of these guys are NFL players, they both went to Iowa

2012: #1 A. Darboh (WR to Mich), #2 C. Rogers (Ath to ISU), #4 M. Malloy, #5 B. Hill; Darboh would have been nice; good career at Mich (2nd team all-B1G), and he played 1 year in the NFL; Rogers just played 1 year at ISU, not sure where he ended up; behind Darboh, 2nd best player in the class may have been #10 Nate Meier; also of note, #3 J. Harrington (didn't play football, ran T&F first at Alabama, transferred to Iowa where he was a B1G champ and 2nd team AA)

2011: #1 C. French (solid career at Oregon, cup of coffee in NFL), #2 Blythe (has played 71 career NFL games, started 49 of them), #3 Krieger-Coble (played in 3 NFL games)

2010: #1 AJ Derby (25 NFL games, 4 starts at TE), Matt Hock (solid DL career at Mizzou), #3 Scherff (NFL All-Pro)

Summary:
From the last 10 years (starting with the 2019 class and going backward), Iowa lost out on the top players in 2014 (though notable that M. Nelson has played and started more NFL games than Pierschbacher) and the top player in 2012. It looks like every other year they ended up with the best players, whether they were rated that way or not.

In 2021 Iowa lost out on the top 2 recruits (Fidone and Bollers), but history shows us that we need to wait about 4 years to figure out if they missed on the top players or not.
I'm not going to lose any sleep over losing guys to Michigan (Darboh, Martin) or Alabama (Pierschbacher). Lazard was an ISU legacy recruit and was never going anywhere else. I care WAY more about what the player does once they're on campus.

Ok. Tell me

which of those were top recruits (had offers from places like OSU, Michigan, Alabama, etc) and then you will have successfully countered my point. It’s well known that one thing Ferentz is successful with is taking 2-3 star athletes and making them pro football players, using Iowa kids he’s done that with doesn’t particularly address the highly recruited in-state kids he doesn’t land.
Stay on topic boss
Uhhhh.....you said in-state recruiting was subpar during Ferentz’s tenure.

So tell me what guys we missed, and we’ll compare lists.

Uhhhh.....you said in-state recruiting was subpar during Ferentz’s tenure.

So tell me what guys we missed, and we’ll compare lists.

Here is the list of NFL players from the state of Iowa (I think this is based upon state of birth, so I am probably missing some who were born elsewhere and moved to Iowa, and some of these players were born in Iowa but raised elsewhere):

There are 54 that played in the NFL within the last decade. Here are the ones who DID NOT play for the Hawks (I have highlighted in red players that were primarily recruited prior to the KF era):

Ryan Mahaffey (UNI)
Adrian Arrington (Mich)
Dan Koppen (BC)
Kyle Vanden Bosch (Neb)

David Reed (Utah)
Joel Dreesen (Col St.)
Brad Meester (UNI)
Chad Rinehart (UNI)
Kyle Orton (Purdue)
Trevon Young (Iowa commit whose offer was rescinded, IWCC to Louisville)
Leonard Webster (Miss Western St.)
Austin Howard (UNI)
Darren Sproles (KSU)
Joe Burrow (born in Ames, but attended HS in Ohio; OSU to LSU)
Ross Pierschbacher (Ala)
Andrew Van Ginkel (IWCC to Wisc)
Allan Lazard (ISU)
Rico Gafford (Wyo)
Matt Haack (ASU)
David Johnson (UNI)

So of the 54 guys from Iowa that played in the NFL in the past decade, 34 played for the Hawks, 20 played elsewhere.

Of the 20 that played elsewhere, 10 went to non-P5 schools (i.e. lightly rated recruits that all P5 missed on).

Of the 10 that were P5, 4 were from before the KF era (or started their college careers within the first couple years of KF era).

There are 4 (or 5, see note below) highly-rated guys that KF and Iowa were interested in and missed:

Adrian Arrington
Ross Pierschbacher
Andrew Van Ginkel
Allan Lazard
note: I notice the list doesn't include Amara Darboh (a Dowling grad who was born in Africa), who played at Mich then very briefly in the NFL. I am including him because he is a notable, high-ranking recruit.

The other 2 guys on the list are Haack (a punter who went to ASU) and Burrow (who was born in Ames when his father coached at ISU, but moved with his father to Nebraska then NDSU then finally Ohio U, where he attended HS).

Last edited:
These facts are way, way too persuasive. They do not fit the narrative that KF does not recruit well instate. So, the facts must be totally wrong somehow.....

This discussions has been so inane. If you want to criticize KF for anything recruiting wise, to me, its that he spends too much time in state! It feels like 90% of our kids come from within 250 miles of IC. We barely dip our toes into Florida and Texas, and anything West of Omaha is ignored completely by the staff.

To be in the top 3 at this point is a minor victory. There was a stud player from Clear Creek awhile back who'd visited Iowa numerous times. Wonder where he ended up?

To be in the top 3 at this point is a minor victory. There was a stud player from Clear Creek awhile back who'd visited Iowa numerous times. Wonder where he ended up?
I suppose but man it still feels like finishing 2nd in recruiting is like being the 1st loser. You get the same prize a school that never even offered em gets too.

I can see why some recruiting coordinators don't last long. All that finishing 2nd (and worse) for players would have to add some wear and tear to your 'mentals' as Marshawn Lynch would say. It's a grueling line of work you gotta love it and be all in.

Notre Dame, tOSU, and Iowa. We're still hanging tough which I take as a good sign especially this far into the race.
What caught my attention is that he doesn’t want to be too far from home. If he is serious about that then it appears his choices are Iowa and Notre Dame.

I really like our chances.

What caught my attention is that he doesn’t want to be too far from home. If he is serious about that then it appears his choices are Iowa and Notre Dame.

I really like our chances.
That was the impression I've had as well. No one is declaring victory but certainly would be a nice addition.

Not like we're loaded with DB's for the future.

Here is the list of NFL players from the state of Iowa (I think this is based upon state of birth, so I am probably missing some who were born elsewhere and moved to Iowa, and some of these players were born in Iowa but raised elsewhere):

There are 54 that played in the NFL within the last decade. Here are the ones who DID NOT play for the Hawks (I have highlighted in red players that were primarily recruited prior to the KF era):

Ryan Mahaffey (UNI)
Adrian Arrington (Mich)
Dan Koppen (BC)
Kyle Vanden Bosch (Neb)

David Reed (Utah)
Joel Dreesen (Col St.)
Brad Meester (UNI)
Chad Rinehart (UNI)
Kyle Orton (Purdue)
Trevon Young (Iowa commit whose offer was rescinded, IWCC to Louisville)
Leonard Webster (Miss Western St.)
Austin Howard (UNI)
Darren Sproles (KSU)
Joe Burrow (born in Ames, but attended HS in Ohio; OSU to LSU)
Ross Pierschbacher (Ala)
Andrew Van Ginkel (IWCC to Wisc)
Allan Lazard (ISU)
Rico Gafford (Wyo)
Matt Haack (ASU)
David Johnson (UNI)

So of the 54 guys from Iowa that played in the NFL in the past decade, 34 played for the Hawks, 20 played elsewhere.

Of the 20 that played elsewhere, 10 went to non-P5 schools (i.e. lightly rated recruits that all P5 missed on).

Of the 10 that were P5, 4 were from before the KF era (or started their college careers within the first couple years of KF era).

There are 4 (or 5, see note below) highly-rated guys that KF and Iowa were interested in and missed:

Adrian Arrington
Ross Pierschbacher
Andrew Van Ginkel
Allan Lazard
note: I notice the list doesn't include Amara Darboh (a Dowling grad who was born in Africa), who played at Mich then very briefly in the NFL. I am including him because he is a notable, high-ranking recruit.

The other 2 guys on the list are Haack (a punter who went to ASU) and Burrow (who was born in Ames when his father coached at ISU, but moved with his father to Nebraska then NDSU then finally Ohio U, where he attended HS).
My cousin was teammates and roommates with those two guys for awhile. UNI had like 4 pretty good TEs on the roster at the same time with those two Schyler Oordt and Joel Gilson. Howard for 2 or 3 yrs was a 280 lb blocking TE until they finally moved him to tackle. My cousin woulda been a solid UNI level TE I think but he hardly got to play due to the depth chart being so good and he did get hurt a couple times. Iowa wasn't the only school putting out good talent at TE if Oordt hadn't gotten hurt late in his career he may have had an NFL career too he was fast.

I like what I have been hearing and reading from multiple sources about this team. The potential is there for this to be a very special team and maybe, just maybe for Kirk to achieve something he hasn’t done since the conference split into two divisions. God willing maybe even something more than that.

My cousin was teammates and roommates with those two guys for awhile. UNI had like 4 pretty good TEs on the roster at the same time with those two Schyler Oordt and Joel Gilson. Howard for 2 or 3 yrs was a 280 lb blocking TE until they finally moved him to tackle. My cousin woulda been a solid UNI level TE I think but he hardly got to play due to the depth chart being so good and he did get hurt a couple times. Iowa wasn't the only school putting out good talent at TE if Oordt hadn't gotten hurt late in his career he may have had an NFL career too he was fast.

I coached a HS team that played against Mehaffey. He was an OL/DL in highschool. Total one-man wrecking crew, so fast and physical he was scary.

Latest posts