Xavier Nwankpa Reflects on Recent Iowa Visit

Not sure I like our chances of getting either of those 2 guys but I sure hope so. Those are exactly the kinda kids and players Iowa wants to have not only staying close to home playing for them but representing them. They seem to be great kids overall

I was talking with someone at the gym the other day and this was my example of how Iowa is failing, or at least how they need to vastly improve. In-state recruiting has been subpar at best throughout Kirks tenure here.
I make no qualms about it, I do not like Ferentz, his style of football or his results. I have no problem with people disagreeing with me, but this is at the top of my list, along with clock management, as the programs biggest flaws since he came in.
I hope we get both of them, especially with Xavier saying he wants to see DB development, which I think is one of our most undervalued aspects (a credit to Kirk, for having really good people in some spots).

I was talking with someone at the gym the other day and this was my example of how Iowa is failing, or at least how they need to vastly improve. In-state recruiting has been subpar at best throughout Kirks tenure here.
I make no qualms about it, I do not like Ferentz, his style of football or his results. I have no problem with people disagreeing with me, but this is at the top of my list, along with clock management, as the programs biggest flaws since he came in.
I hope we get both of them, especially with Xavier saying he wants to see DB development, which I think is one of our most undervalued aspects (a credit to Kirk, for having really good people in some spots).
“In state recruiting has been sub par.” Huh?

Uh, Martin, Darboh, Haack, the guy from CCA going to Wisconsin. That enough examples from recently or should I go back?
I would rather you would tell me...how many were above average? Is that really a lot? How many of those guys did we actively recruit? Yes, go back further if you wish, when ISU was a dumpster fire. Nice try.

I’m sorry, was he a top recruit, from IOWA CITY, who Kirk couldn’t manage to land?
Does Martin really count? Generally the kids I'm disappointed about are the ones that have success elsewhere and make a name for themselves. Not the one's that are more infatuated with sleepovers then football, who end up transferring back home to Iowa only to be buried on the depth chart and then transfer to a rival.

Maybe not landing him bothers you, but the fact we let him wear black and gold to begin with bothers me. I don't think I'd use Martin as an example of a kid Kirk couldn't have landed (which he ended up doing), I think I'd use him as an example of players that didn't belong in the system to begin with.

In-state recruiting has been subpar at best throughout Kirks tenure here.
The dumbness level is off the fucking charts here. Like...you just pegged the gauge and snapped the needle off. You should get a ban just for the idiocy factor, but it's funny watching you embarrass yourself.

Nate Kaeding - NFL
Mike Kilnkenborg
Alex Kanellis
Pat Angerer - NFL
Marshal Yanda - NFL
Brandon Meyers - NFL
Julian Vandervelde - NFL
Tyler Sash - NFL
James Vandenberg
Adam Robinson
Keenan Davis
Brandon Wegher
Brandon Scherff - NFL
Austin Blythe - NFL
Henry Krieger-Coble - NFL
Riley McCarron - NFL
Cole Croston - NFL
Nate Meier
Ike Boettger - NFL
Josey Jewell - NFL
Parker Hesse - NFL
Ross Reynolds - NFL
Matt Nelson - NFL
Landan Paulsen
Anthony Nelson - NFL
Shaun Beyer
TJ Hawkenson - NFL
Cole Banwart
Mark Kallenberger
Tristan Wirfs - NFL
Jack Koerner
Kyler Schott
John Waggoner
Tyler Linderbaum
Riley Moss
Jack Campbell
Logan Jones

...were all in-state, Ferentz recruits. Every one of these players was either a 4* recruit, became a regular starter, or made an active NFL roster. Plenty of guys made Pro Bowls and have or will have long NFL careers as starters.

Why don't you put together a list anywhere NEAR as productive or decorated as the one I just did made up of recruiting misses in-state. If a guy goes to Alabama or top 3 SEC/ACC team that can't really count against a little school like Iowa, but even including those--show me that list.

Do you want me to go through the trouble of compiling the rest of the Ferentz era out-of-state recruits who became big time impact players or NFL starters? And news flash, Poindexter...Iowa doesn't exactly have 30 P5 high school recruits to choose from every year. Florida and Texas have more 5 star recruits than Iowa high schools have D-1 recruits in total.

Jesus Mary Christ, man. We're you born this way or do you practice at it a few hours a day? I mean come on, you canNOT be that fucking dense and still claim to follow the Iowa FB program.

The dumbness level is off the fucking charts here. Like...you just pegged the gauge and snapped the needle off. You should get a ban just for the idiocy factor, but it's funny watching you embarrass yourself.

Nate Kaeding - NFL
Mike Kilnkenborg
Alex Kanellis
Pat Angerer - NFL
Marshal Yanda - NFL
Brandon Meyers - NFL
Julian Vandervelde - NFL
Tyler Sash - NFL
James Vandenberg
Adam Robinson
Keenan Davis
Brandon Wegher
Brandon Scherff - NFL
Austin Blythe - NFL
Riley McCarron - NFL
Cole Croston - NFL
Nate Meier
Ike Boettger - NFL
Josey Jewell - NFL
Parker Hesse - NFL
Ross Reynolds - NFL
Matt Nelson - NFL
Landan Paulsen
Anthony Nelson - NFL
Shaun Beyer
TJ Hawkenson - NFL
Cole Banwart
Mark Kallenberger
Tristan Wirfs - NFL
Jack Koerner
Kyler Schott
John Waggoner
Tyler Linderbaum
Riley Moss
Jack Campbell
Logan Jones

...were all in-state, Ferentz recruits. Every one of these players was either a 4* recruit, became a regular starter, or made an active NFL roster. Plenty of guys made Pro Bowls and have or will have long NFL careers as starters.

Why don't you put together a list anywhere NEAR as productive or decorated as the one I just did made up of recruiting misses in-state. If a guy goes to Alabama or top 3 SEC/ACC team that can't really count against a little school like Iowa, but even including those--show me that list.

Do you want me to go through the trouble of compiling the rest of the Ferentz era out-of-state recruits who became big time impact players or NFL starters? And news flash, Poindexter...Iowa doesn't exactly have 30 P5 high school recruits to choose from every year. Florida and Texas have more 5 star recruits than Iowa high schools have D-1 recruits in total.

Jesus Mary Christ, man. We're you born this way or do you practice at it a few hours a day? I mean come on, you canNOT be that fucking dense and still claim to follow the Iowa FB program.
Kick ass, take names. Good job, Fry!

Nate Kaeding - NFL
Mike Kilnkenborg
Alex Kanellis
Pat Angerer - NFL
Marshal Yanda - NFL
Brandon Meyers - NFL
Julian Vandervelde - NFL
Tyler Sash - NFL
James Vandenberg
Adam Robinson
Keenan Davis
Brandon Wegher
Brandon Scherff - NFL
Austin Blythe - NFL
Riley McCarron - NFL
Cole Croston - NFL
Nate Meier
Ike Boettger - NFL
Josey Jewell - NFL
Parker Hesse - NFL
Ross Reynolds - NFL
Matt Nelson - NFL
Landan Paulsen
Anthony Nelson - NFL
Shaun Beyer
TJ Hawkenson - NFL
Cole Banwart
Mark Kallenberger
Tristan Wirfs - NFL
Jack Koerner
Kyler Schott
John Waggoner
Tyler Linderbaum
Riley Moss
Jack Campbell
Logan Jones

Great response. I think you absolutely nailed it. It's like the big misses on instate recruits are the ones that have absolutely no reason coming here, because they're frequently the ones that are 4* or 5* that the elite programs are going after.

It's like the constant complaining in the basketball threads about Roy Williams "stealing" our in state recruits. Not to be that guy, but if it's UNC or KU doing "the stealing" they probably weren't Iowa bound to begin with. If the recruit is good enough, regardless of what state they're from, there is always going to be bluebloods sniffing the waters. There's no shame in being in the mix when realistically it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone when we don't land them these highly sought after recruits.

Nate Kaeding - NFL
Mike Kilnkenborg
Alex Kanellis
Pat Angerer - NFL
Marshal Yanda - NFL
Brandon Meyers - NFL
Julian Vandervelde - NFL
Tyler Sash - NFL
James Vandenberg
Adam Robinson
Keenan Davis
Brandon Wegher
Brandon Scherff - NFL
Austin Blythe - NFL
Riley McCarron - NFL
Cole Croston - NFL
Nate Meier
Ike Boettger - NFL
Josey Jewell - NFL
Parker Hesse - NFL
Ross Reynolds - NFL
Matt Nelson - NFL
Landan Paulsen
Anthony Nelson - NFL
Shaun Beyer
TJ Hawkenson - NFL
Cole Banwart
Mark Kallenberger
Tristan Wirfs - NFL
Jack Koerner
Kyler Schott
John Waggoner
Tyler Linderbaum
Riley Moss
Jack Campbell
Logan Jones

Okay, okay, but besides ALL of those guys what in-state recruiting successes have we had?

Ok. Tell me

Nate Kaeding - NFL
Mike Kilnkenborg
Alex Kanellis
Pat Angerer - NFL
Marshal Yanda - NFL
Brandon Meyers - NFL
Julian Vandervelde - NFL
Tyler Sash - NFL
James Vandenberg
Adam Robinson
Keenan Davis
Brandon Wegher
Brandon Scherff - NFL
Austin Blythe - NFL
Riley McCarron - NFL
Cole Croston - NFL
Nate Meier
Ike Boettger - NFL
Josey Jewell - NFL
Parker Hesse - NFL
Ross Reynolds - NFL
Matt Nelson - NFL
Landan Paulsen
Anthony Nelson - NFL
Shaun Beyer
TJ Hawkenson - NFL
Cole Banwart
Mark Kallenberger
Tristan Wirfs - NFL
Jack Koerner
Kyler Schott
John Waggoner
Tyler Linderbaum
Riley Moss
Jack Campbell
Logan Jones

which of those were top recruits (had offers from places like OSU, Michigan, Alabama, etc) and then you will have successfully countered my point. It’s well known that one thing Ferentz is successful with is taking 2-3 star athletes and making them pro football players, using Iowa kids he’s done that with doesn’t particularly address the highly recruited in-state kids he doesn’t land.
Stay on topic boss

Ok. Tell me

which of those were top recruits (had offers from places like OSU, Michigan, Alabama, etc) and then you will have successfully countered my point. It’s well known that one thing Ferentz is successful with is taking 2-3 star athletes and making them pro football players, using Iowa kids he’s done that with doesn’t particularly address the highly recruited in-state kids he doesn’t land.
Stay on topic boss
Your original quote was "In-state recruiting has been subpar at best throughout Kirks tenure here." You did not qualify it with players having offers from the blue bloods. Fryiowa's response was directly on target.

You should quit while you are behind.

Your original quote was "In-state recruiting has been subpar at best throughout Kirks tenure here." You did not qualify it with players having offers from the blue bloods. Fryiowa's response was directly on target.

You should quit while you are behind.
But why when he can just keep moving the goalposts?

I love it when someone gets absolutely blistered on this Board for saying something dumb, but then are too dumb to know that they got blistered. Good stuff, Fry.