www.firegarybarta.com

Wow that's interesting so the university is using taxpayers money to purchase domains just in case some people may want to voice their opinions against their employees? Money well spent if this was North Korea

Same thing happens at FireKirkFerentz.com firefranmccaffery.com firelisabluder.com apparently they bought out all their coaches fire names

Last edited:
I remember reading about this in the gazette a while back. Firestevealford.com was on there originally. This is ridiculous. Taking away outlets to show disproval is wrong.

I remember reading about this in the gazette a while back. Firestevealford.com was on there originally. This is ridiculous. Taking away outlets to show disproval is wrong.

Well, in general, I don't see anything wrong with this. Buying up these domain names to block potential venues for voicing disapproval is a form of expression in and of itself. That said, for universities to do it, when (in most cases) the athletic department receives taxpayer dollars to function, is wrong.

Apparently the university has purchased this domain name. When I use it, I get redirected to the Iowa sports page. Well played barta. Looks like www.firebarta.com is still available.

Actually would be a better word than "apparently" - according to https://who.is

What's even more interesting is that the domain was registered on July 20, 2006. Didn't Barta take over as Iowa's AD on August 1, 2006? Lol

Wow that's interesting so the university is using taxpayers money to purchase domains just in case some people may want to voice their opinions against their employees? Money well spent if this was North Korea

Same thing happens at FireKirkFerentz.com firefranmccaffery.com firelisabluder.com apparently they bought out all their coaches fire names

Well, to put perspective on the cost, it isn't much. You can get a domain name through GoDaddy for less than $10 per year; I've got my own domain and it's about $5 per year. Our state government burns through more in a day than 10 years' worth of these domain names.

The company I work for routinely buys all the related domains to our business names, both positive and negative. It really doesn't cost that much unless someone already owns the domain - then it can get expensive as that person can sell it for MUCH more than it is truly worth.

All that being said, how many posters here know that for quite a while (beginning in 1997) the domain "whitehouse.com" was NOT about the building at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave? (That is "whitehouse.gov") It still has no affiliation with The White House, but is no longer what it used to be.

Agreed.

Institutions don't have free speech rights. The UofI should not be using taxpayer money to buy these names.

Individuals have free speech rights. If Gary Barta, Kirk Ferentz, and Sally Mason want to buy these domain names with their own money, then fine.

Agreed.

Institutions don't have free speech rights. The UofI should not be using taxpayer money to buy these names.

Individuals have free speech rights. If Gary Barta, Kirk Ferentz, and Sally Mason want to buy these domain names with their own money, then fine.
Bought this one

www.ICHawk24isdumbthumb.com

Latest posts