WR targets

Well to be somewhat fair. On how many of 84s catches was he lined up outside? He's been lining up out there a lot. On those plays I'd say they were to a WR.

But that's totally besides the point of this and I get it. To me it's a combination of things. Petras is who he is and the WRs are still mostly not great and Oline stinks at pass blocking. So BF is trying to not force it to them all knowing the success rate won't be very good. (I'm no BF apologist either I just think this would be logical if true)

The play that irked me was when we were in the redzone and Petras tried forcing it to Laporta in the endzond when Bruce was right in front of him wide open at like the 10. He very likely scores on that. Woulda been an easy throw. But it's always something...
Yes, Petras' lack of vision -- especially when flushed out of the pocket -- is baffling considering how many years he's been a starting QB at the h.s. and college level. In 3 years of starting at Iowa, I can't think of a single pass completion he's thrown when flushed out of the pocket. Not saying it didn't happen -- I just can't remember a single completion. You might say he's the 'Anti-Fran Tarkenton'.

I don't think anyone is mad, our WR group isn't very good. That's on our coaching staff and they need to get that figured out.

But to ask them to showcase a weak WR room tells me we have a bunch of guys who couldn't coach sports very well.
I see your side of it but I see the other side as well. Not sure where I stand because I see TE's right there with WR's in the receiving game, but if we want to bring in talented receivers we also have to target receivers. At the end of the day, receivers want the ball as do RB's and TE's, so how do you sell the program to recruits and expect to bring them into the program if they aren't being used.

Like I said I'm not sure where I see myself in the argument, but kids as well as fans love stats. Wins and losses are the ultimate stat that speak the loudest, but how do we really appeal to prospective receivers if they aren't getting the looks on gameday.

I see your side of it but I see the other side as well. Not sure where I stand because I see TE's right there with WR's in the receiving game, but if we want to bring in talented receivers we also have to target receivers. At the end of the day, receivers want the ball as do RB's and TE's, so how do you sell the program to recruits and expect to bring them into the program if they aren't being used.

Like I said I'm not sure where I see myself in the argument, but kids as well as fans love stats. Wins and losses are the ultimate stat that speak the loudest, but how do we really appeal to prospective receivers if they aren't getting the looks on gameday.
WR is an uphill battle for this program. They have produced some decent guys, but for the most part, that is a position that has been void of talent since the day Kirk Ferentz arrived. Take a look at how many are in the NFL? Do they have any that are actually playing? Iowa has never been an attractive place for WR's to go. This isn't new. That said, the room should never be this depleted. That is on the Iowa staff and it needs addressed.

Just not sure I can blame the game plan for scheming around it. It's the right game plan right now.

Best thing is to just accept the below mediocrity on the offensive side of the field. Get behind the Dee and we will win more than we lose I am sure of it.

I don't think anyone is mad, our WR group isn't very good. That's on our coaching staff and they need to get that figured out.

But to ask them to showcase a weak WR room tells me we have a bunch of guys who couldn't coach sports very well.
Should do wonders for WR recruiting.

Latest posts