WR targets

I just assumed that was the game plan for Rutgers targeting the TE's was a key part of the plan. Rutgers is a blitz heavy team and a way to counter that is quick throws to to TE's or screens to the RB.

or maybe the coaches saw a big mismatch that throwing to the TE's could exploit. Of course what do I know?

I've seen coaches avoid casing players before that have large followers at a specific game. Many coaches are complete control freaks. Has KF ever shown control freak issues?

Passing to wide receivers usually takes longer than passing to TEs.
If the TE was the primary on most plays due to Rutgers, the team that leads the B10 in blitzing percentage, are blitzing LBs then the WRs can be used as decoys to get that safeties to drop back leaving mid-range throws to the TEs and further underneath to RBs.
Our Oline played better, but they still sucked at pass blocking. It is hard to hit routes that take longer to develop if you have to get the ball out in 2 seconds.

Also, our WRs still suck too.

All good points. Fact remains you can not have games where the WR group gets three targets the whole game. Unless of course you run the option.

My God will nothing satisfy you guys. We beat a tough Big Ten team on the road. It’s a big win.

we are a blown call away from 4-0. Let’s see how the season plays out.
And Kirk will win 8 games again, all is fine and dandy, nothing changes. Including Iowa's odds of winning a Big10 championship. That is the goal after all?

And Kirk will win 8 games again, all is fine and dandy, nothing changes. Including Iowa's odds of winning a Big10 championship. That is the goal after all?
If we win 8 games I'll go on record now as fully admitting I'd be very satisfied. 8 wins means 8-4, and doesn't rule out winning the West if loses are to Mich, OSU, and another East opponent.

I've never been unreasonable in expectations and am 100% fine with Hawks being a perennial 8-9 win team, with a shot at 10+ and a Divisional or more title shot every 3-4 years.

Unless some pretty sizable improvements on offensive production, what we've seen thus far is not like other "slow start" Hawkeye teams that end up solid.

I hope I'm wrong, I really do.

If we win 8 games I'll go on record now as fully admitting I'd be very satisfied. 8 wins means 8-4, and doesn't rule out winning the West if loses are to Mich, OSU, and another East opponent.

I've never been unreasonable in expectations and am 100% fine with Hawks being a perennial 8-9 win team, with a shot at 10+ and a Divisional or more title shot every 3-4 years.

Unless some pretty sizable improvements on offensive production, what we've seen thus far is not like other "slow start" Hawkeye teams that end up solid.

I hope I'm wrong, I really do.
Iowa has some good pieces. Ive been very pleased with recruiting on the offensive side. Love our RBs, love the TEs, WRs need to be taller, Petras can throw a good ball, Pottebaum.

Not having Keagan Johnson is a huge hole in the lineup. It won't solve everything but it will certainly help. Unfortunately, hamstring issues can linger for a long time and they're hard to completely heal. I wish they had held him out of the Nevada game and sat him another 1-2 games to get completely healthy.

As far as targets, they should have had more. One one drive (might have been the drive at the end of the first half where we settled for a FG), Petras forced the ball into Laporta in the end zone and it was incomplete. He had Arland Bruce wide open on the same side in the flat. He would have either scored or at least picked up the first down. Some of the lack of targets is Petras' inability to see the field and make the safe throw.

Well to be somewhat fair. On how many of 84s catches was he lined up outside? He's been lining up out there a lot. On those plays I'd say they were to a WR.

But that's totally besides the point of this and I get it. To me it's a combination of things. Petras is who he is and the WRs are still mostly not great and Oline stinks at pass blocking. So BF is trying to not force it to them all knowing the success rate won't be very good. (I'm no BF apologist either I just think this would be logical if true)

The play that irked me was when we were in the redzone and Petras tried forcing it to Laporta in the endzond when Bruce was right in front of him wide open at like the 10. He very likely scores on that. Woulda been an easy throw. But it's always something...

If Iowa can manage to win 8 games or above, that's a very successful season. I'll take that right now.

Why would Iowa not target the Tight Ends, obviously the strength of our offensive scheme when it comes to passing. People are upset that Iowa is now playing to it's strengths? You'd hate to see that.

Once Iowa jumped out to a multiple TD lead, there was no reason to take chances and push the ball down the field. The running game also had a pulse. Course of the game dictated the targets. Shit, Petras only threw like 17 times total. The game just didn't need that much offense given what the D did.

We saw during the Nevada game that Petras can push the ball down the field to the WRs when circumstances warrant. You can't question his arm strength. You can question about everything else.

Bottom line is that Petras did was he was asked to do. Be smart. Don't turn the ball over. We have this game under control. I am ok with that. Good road win.

Imagine being disappointed that your football team didn't work to get their weakest position involved in the game plan.

Maybe take it easy on how dumb/bad Brian Ferentz is lol

Imagine being disappointed that your football team didn't work to get their weakest position involved in the game plan.

Maybe take it easy on how dumb/bad Brian Ferentz is lol
Its a disservice to the WR group. No one is mad in here BTW. Some good progress on the offensive side.

Its a disservice to the WR group. No one is mad in here BTW. Some good progress on the offensive side.
I don't think anyone is mad, our WR group isn't very good. That's on our coaching staff and they need to get that figured out.

But to ask them to showcase a weak WR room tells me we have a bunch of guys who couldn't coach sports very well.

Latest posts