Wow!

I watched only the first half but you could tell after just a few minutes it might be bad. Hawks score first basket then get outscored 17-0 while PU rains in 3s, gets offensive rebounds, the hawks bumble the ball and miss a few free throws. Then they play even for about 5 minutes and hawks still down 14 but PU still hot. I think PU shot around 70% from 3 and from the field in the first half while Iowa was just not on offensively.

But at the same time Iowa couldnt recover on defense and PU shooters were wide open most of the time and had time to gather and shoot. Hawks werent getting to loose balls and 50-50 rebounds. The hawks just need to wash this one down the drain and definitely beat Nebby.

Thanks for the summation.

I could hear this if we hadn't already soundly beaten some quick perimeter teams this season. I am not saying you're wrong, you're likely right - quick perimeter teams are going to give Iowa a challenge and our loss in March could very well look like this ....but it's not like tonight was the first quick perimeter team they've lost to or beaten. IMO, they killed us in the posts because of their size and us only starting one guy over 6'6". We didn't box out - and that really opened up 2nd chance points and in turn opened the perimeter and they were hot. We also played a pretty pathetic game of defense. It just wasn't there

IMO, I think it's more of a cumulative effect of a couple things.

1. Focus - it wasn't there. I don't know if they read their own press clippings this week, but Iowa didn't show up ready to play. You do that in this league you are going to be beat like a drum.

2. It was on the road. Home teams are 142-33 in this league with 19 of those 33 loses coming to the bottom 3 teams

3. Tired legs combined with no bench due to injury. This was their 3rd game in 7 days. This was their 4th game in 10. We don't have the luxury of resting our guys. The main 4 guys are playing 35+ a game. At some point that has to catch up to us. It did last night and it snow balled.

Tired legs? All teams at this point.

Short numbers? Most only play about this many.

Garza is carrying a load of defenders. His tireds will get worse until we get scoring out of..........

Tired legs? All teams at this point.

Short numbers? Most only play about this many.

Garza is carrying a load of defenders. His tireds will get worse until we get scoring out of..........

Nebraska had this whole week off. I am sure they aren't tired. This was Purdue's 4th game in the last 15. It was Iowa's 4th in 10. So, no, not everyone has tired legs at this point. We're short on numbers because of injury, not because this is the way Fran wanted his rotation to play out, so again, completely different scenario. Garza is carrying the load tho and we need everyone to step up around him, last night they didn't.

Last edited:
There will be hell to pay, and I mean HELL TO PAY when them SOB's come to Carver. They played well, no doubt, but I've never seen a team just be able to close their eyes and heave the ball from 3 over and over and over and have it splash though.

Iowa will beat their asses when they come to town.
Do you wonder how they are able to do that every fucking home game? I'm telling you, something fishy is going on in that arena.

Nebraska had this whole week off. I am sure they aren't tired. This was Purdue's 4th game in the last 15. It was Iowa's 5th in 10. So, no, not everyone has tired legs at this point. We're short on numbers because of injury, not because this is the way Fran wanted his rotation to play out, so again, completely different scenario. Garza is carrying the load tho and we need everyone to step up around him, last night they didn't.

There you go again, confusing Gold with facts.

I was equally as impressed with Purdue defensively last night. They punched their tickets and showed up on both ends of the court. They definitely showed up for work last night.

I wish I would have had the time wrong too.
It's funny, I turned on the Big 10 Network right at 8p and saw Dave Revsine and Bob Hummel on set with the final score graphic up. I thought they were talking about some former game between Iowa & Purdue and I laughed at the score and thought "what year was that game?" I then I quickly realized what was really going on.

19 threes/56% from deep? At some point during the game I was half-expecting to see this. I mean, why not?

6jDHB8.gif
lol Bruner said on the podcast, "They could have kicked it and it would have went in" ...that made me laugh. Hadn't heard that one.

Here’s a very quick analysis of some basic data. And this is why my feelings about the team and the season hasn’t changed at all.

As of this morning...

Season 3% IA 34.9 & PU 34.8

PU scores 21 fewer points last night shooting their normal percentage. Iowa scores 9 more. That’s a 30 point swing and we’re in a nail biter down to the last possession.

Just for fun let’s say Iowa has the outlier game shooting 55.9% and Purdue struggles shooting 24%. That’s a 57 point swing and Iowa blows out Purdue.

Side Note - Live by the 3. Die by the 3. The 3 is a big part of our game. Last night they lived and we died. I expect much different in Carver...quite possibly a 50 point swing.

Edit - One more thing...Purdue is 2-6 on the road and 10-2 at home. Iowa is 3-4 and 11-1 respectively.
Best post of the thread IMO

Latest posts