Wow. Same Steve Alford we came to know and loathe?

Alford's overall attitude coupled with Iowa's horrible basketball facilities were a recipe for disaster.

No way of knowing how he could have recruited and retained players at Iowa with solid facilities because his arrogance and public comments about the Pierce incident doomed him long before they were possible.

Even if Iowa had made a good run in 2006 and beyond, some fans were not coming back until he was gone or at the minimum made a public apology. And he's far to self absorbed to do something with that amount of class.

Well, I guess that kind of comes with the territory when you lie and cover up for a rapist.

Stevie Alfraud is angling for Crean's job. Never thought is was possible but based on how things are going @ Indiana and UCLA this might happen.

Which would be better than where we are at today.

Fair enough, but 1 NCAA win in 8 years.. I'm not sure that Fran won't meet and/or exceed that. (It won't take a lot).

Tom Davis > Alford > Lickliter

Not sure where Fran fits into this equation yet. Guess after 8 years, we'll see if he's better than Alford or not, but my guess is that he will be.

Stevie Alfraud is angling for Crean's job. Never thought is was possible but based on how things are going @ Indiana and UCLA this might happen.

Very possible. Crean gets fired in a couple more years, just in time for Alford to take over? Those would be some classic Iowa/Indiana games if that happens.

Both programs with rich tradition and obviously Steve has a past with Indiana but I would think UCLA is a much easier place to recruit and I think Steve fits in nicely with his persona in Southern Cal.

Fair enough, but 1 NCAA win in 8 years.. I'm not sure that Fran won't meet and/or exceed that. (It won't take a lot).

Tom Davis > Alford > Lickliter

Not sure where Fran fits into this equation yet. Guess after 8 years, we'll see if he's better than Alford or not, but my guess is that he will be.

I'm going to regret doing this because I like Fran and I don't think it's time to fire him but I do think people are overly positive about his results becuase the program was so bad but guys like Time Miles or Fred Hoiberg have done just as good as a job as he has in the same or less amount of time.

So basically I think people over value the job Fran has done but I don't think he should be fired.

With that said....

Steve has a .659 winning percentage vs Fran's .575 in division 1 competition.
Steve has 8 NCAA appearances vs. Fran's 6
Steve has 10 NCAA wins vs. Fran's 2 NCAA wins

Steve has coached D1 ball since 95
Fran has coached fo D1 ball since 85

I think Steve fits in nicely with his persona in Southern Cal.

That makes it clear you dont know alf. His persona does not take well to having anyone more famous than him in the vicinity. LA is full of people more famous than him. The LA fan base see Alf as a midwestern rube.

That makes it clear you dont know alf. His persona does not take well to having anyone more famous than him in the vicinity. LA is full of people more famous than him. The LA fan base see Alf as a midwestern rube.

If he brings back the UCLA program.... he'll be highly thought of in those parts.

I find myself cheering for Alford.
Yes, he did have some shortfalls, but Iowa was his first high-profile D1 job (I'm not counting SMS, errr..Missouri State.)
Even with his Dad next to him, he did show his immaturity.
Amazed how he lost twice as a 3 seed, at Iowa and New Mexico. I'm confident this will happen again, either at UCLA or Indiana.
Yes, Indiana boosters would rather have Alford than Crean, IMO.

Latest posts