Wow Cubs....ugh

sandlot.jpg

Hell, these guys could beat my Cubs....Last night was U G L Y....I will die before the Cubs are ever in contention for anything....fact of life...

The Cubs are horrible at 2 of the most critical aspects of winning teams:
1. Defense
2. Clutch hitting

I don't see the Cubs getting any better this year at either of these 2 categories, so I fully expect the Cubs to continue to be slightly worse than average.

I will continue to watch them though, and at least hope that Castro can become an All Star, Barney can become the NL Rookie of the Year and Brett Jackson gets called up sometime this summer.

The Cubs minor league system (particularly Double A) has a lot of good prospects, so it will be interesting to see how long management continues to put up with the terrible baseball that is being played by the big club before they start promoting some the of kids down on the farm.

Go Cubs Go!

That pretty much sums up their season. They are not going to improve on those two areas until the young players get a chance. I know it's not going to happen, but I wish they would just pull a Pirates/Royals/Indians/insertsmallmarketteamhere and totally rebuild.

Oh and why all the hate for Kerry Wood? Yeah he threw a wet baseball into left field last night, but his 2.25 ERA and nearly a K per inning disagree with you.

That pretty much sums up their season. They are not going to improve on those two areas until the young players get a chance. I know it's not going to happen, but I wish they would just pull a Pirates/Royals/Indians/insertsmallmarketteamhere and totally rebuild.

Oh and why all the hate for Kerry Wood? Yeah he threw a wet baseball into left field last night, but his 2.25 ERA and nearly a K per inning disagree with you.

It's just fundamental baseball that bugs me the most about the Cubs. Reed Johnson tries to get a sacrifice bunt down in the 8th w/runners & 1st & 2nd, ends up striking out. Janish gets the bunt down in the Reds 8th & Wood, instead of taking the out at first, throws a wet ball 90MPH when he's 20 feet from the 3rd baseman -- BRILLIANT!

So, Reed Johnson not getting a bunt down costs the Cubs a run & a well-executed sacrifice gains the Reds 3 runs. You deserve to lose when that happens. I hope Quade won't continue to put up with the lack of fundamentals.

So, it's clutch hitting, bad defense, & I'll thrown in an 3rd one....plate discipline. Most of the Cubs problems, imo, are offensive -- and swinging wildly at pitches out of the strikezone is their biggest problem on that front. Anyone who actually throws Soriano a strike, should be shot on the spot -- he literally will swing at anything.

They are unwatchable right now...

So, it's clutch hitting, bad defense, & I'll thrown in an 3rd one....plate discipline. Most of the Cubs problems, imo, are offensive -- and swinging wildly at pitches out of the strikezone is their biggest problem on that front. Anyone who actually throws Soriano a strike, should be shot on the spot -- he literally will swing at anything.

They are unwatchable right now...

I agree with you about the offense, and I would say it seems that way for the past several years. I don't know how many times I've seen the Cubs get the bases loaded with nobody out and be unable to score or ground into DP's to squander a scoring threat. 1 run on 9 hits, etc. It would be nice if the Cubs could get some hitters that can at least, at a minimum, hit the ball out of the infield when there's a man on 3rd with less than 2 outs. A few 2-out RBI's would be nice, too. Like you said - clutch hitting.

Regarding Soriano.. he's a mistake-hitter that racks up his stats against mediocre pitchers, but that doesn't help you much in the playoffs where your opponent is putting their best pitchers on the hill. Get 2 strikes on him, and all you need to do is throw him something in the dirt low and away.

Soriano makes the most money (or at least has the most money left on his deal) so he gets the majority of the attention. If he was a DH for an AL power he would probably be cheered for hitting the occasional home run. When he is running around with his head cut off in left field and surrounded by a poor lineup his flaws really shine through.

His awful fundamentals are a good example of the teams overall performance, but he is far from the only problem.

If it hasn't happened since the 50s we are going in the right direction. Need to go back another 40 years and we are good.

Cubs win 7-5 last night, and take advantage of Marlin's mistakes. Take a 3-1 lead and then Dempster gives up 4 in the bottom of the 5th. Seems like there is always 1 inning. Glad to see the cubs can get by their lulls this time. Hope they continue to get better. FYI Dempster has a 6.5 ERA.

Thursday night's game was about as good as they have played so far this season. Good defense, not bad pitching out of Coleman. Nice to see Byrd getting hot and the 2 run double from Castro was sweet. Wonder how they will fare with the Green Monster?

Lifetime Cubs fan here, but wow have I never seen a franchise do less with a higher payroll. And I agree - it always seems like they find a way to lose, or find a way NOT to win in these close games.

If they get pitching, they can't hit. If they get some offense, then their pitching and/or defense fails them.

7 unearned runs... pathetic.

Signed,

The New York Mets.

Last edited:

Latest posts