Would you pay $1500 ...

Harpo

for the OPPORTUNITY to APPLY to purchase season football tickets?

That is what you must do at Ohio State. You must make a a minimum $1500 donation just to gain the ability to apply for a season ticket. The actual season ticket costs another $450. Total = $1950.

At Wisconsin, you must donate $1000 to be eligible to purchase a season football ticket (OR a season ice hockey ticket).

I understand that Penn State is considering a similar minimum donation requirement of some sort.

I sure like IOWA's plan of simply requiring preferred seating locations to pay extra ($50, $200, $400, $600) in combo with a priority point system much better. I believe that Michigan uses a priority point system much like Iowa's.

Anyone know what other schools require to purchase season tickets?

Iowa would do the same thing if they could. They cannot, so they don't.

I don't think so. Michigan doesn't do it and they certainly could if they wanted. I am not certain but UM must have a waiting list for season football tickets.

I believe that Iowa has chosen to go a route that will allow fans to purchase tickets, in non preferred areas (meaning other than sidelines, between the 10's) for little or no extra fee. This way, the common hawk fan can afford season tickets.

Power to the Hawk Fans

To answer your question: no I wouldn't pay that. For that much money you could easily buy every game on e-bay and still come out way ahead.

I would pay it, but I know the U of I would have to give me some prime time seats, prime time parking and also start selling beer at the stadium!

OSU does that because of their tradition and they are also a LARGER university. But I still can't believe they have people pay that much. No wonder their athletic facilities are top in the big ten.

I don't think so. Michigan doesn't do it and they certainly could if they wanted. I am not certain but UM must have a waiting list for season football tickets.

I believe that Iowa has chosen to go a route that will allow fans to purchase tickets, in non preferred areas (meaning other than sidelines, between the 10's) for little or no extra fee. This way, the common hawk fan can afford season tickets.

Power to the Hawk Fans

I wish this were true and Iowa was saluting the Iowa fan, but it isn't so. Iowa would not sellout with those financial demands. They barely sellout in down years.

Michigan has probably figured they would not sell out either if they did this. Just because there is a waiting list doesn't mean those on the waiting list or everyone in the stands would pay $1,000 for seats, beyond the ticket price.

There is a reason why Ohio St. and Wisconsin have the 2nd and 3rd largest athletic budgets in college and this is it.

Wow, no way would I pay that much money for season tix! I love the hawks and I love going to Kinnick...but I'm not making a six figure income and have the luxury to spend that kind of money on tix. I could definitely justify staying home and just watching on TV instead. That money could be spent on more practical stuff. I really hate that college sports are starting to stick it to the fan like pro sports, it really sucks.

I would pay that amount only if I had boat loads of $$. Some people do, I don't. I would watch it for free in HD in my home.

Notre Dame has an interesting way to distribute some of it's tickets. It has a lottery open to ND grads that require only a $100-$200 donation to be eligible to have a shot at getting tickets. It does require a $1500 donation by non-grads to be eligible.

ND has another interesting policy. They claim to aggressively pursue anyone that resells tickets for profit. Here is the language, "In an effort to curb resale for profit and ticket fraud, Notre Dame is committed to actively monitoring and enforcing its ticket resale policy. Nearly 9,000 tickets have been suspended or revoked since the policy's implementation. Suspected resale violation information can be sent to seller1@nd.edu."

Last edited:
I would likely pay it if I had the money and that was the only way to get season tickets. If not, I would likely only get to a game or two a year at Kinnick and watch the rest at home in HD.
Ohio St. gets away with it for a couple of reasons. The school itself is much bigger than Iowa. They do have a much more proud history and many more famous alumni. The other two reasons are the size of the state and city. Ohio has over 11,000,000 people compared to Iowa's 3,000,000+. And then the Iowa City/Coralville area has what 70,000 people and Columbus itself has roughly 700,000. There is a huge difference in amount of people they are able to pull from.