Would you be okay if Iowa fair caught every punt going forward?

So tired of getting burned by fake punts, I honestly might be okay with it. Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz said after a fake punt burned his team against Michigan State last week that he was strongly considering never calling for a punt return again.Tuesday, he was asked if he was being facetious.“No, I was being dead serious,” Ferentz said - See more at: Ferentz says he’s not being facetious on punt return | TheGazette

Ferentz is an expert Chess player. He'll say he is gonna do something, do it a little bit to make the other teams think he is serious, and then BAM. We take one to the house when the other team relaxes on punt coverage.

Well if they rush the punter the punting team has to put more players into block so the returner might still get some room to run just not as consistently.

I'm about as okay with this as I would be if we intentionally took a safety every time we were inside our own 10 yard line. Only at Iowa do you not play to win the damn game.

To answer the question.

Yes.

Execution has been poor (even some starters that are on the punt team).
Scheme has been worse. 2 rushers vs. 3 backfield blockers.

3 > 2 = 1 st down

freakin' ridiculous.

7-for-7 on punt fakes. there is no shame in Iowa City apparently.

To answer the question.

Yes.

Execution has been poor (even some starters that are on the punt team).
Scheme has been worse. 2 rushers vs. 3 backfield blockers.

3 > 2 = 1 st down

freakin' ridiculous.

7-for-7 on punt fakes. there is no shame in Iowa City apparently.

This the part of this I do not get. If they have 3 blockers and we rush at least three or four instead of one there is a good chance the fake is not going to work and we still can try to set a return with the remaining players. Is it really that hard?

Hell dont even catch the punt because we might fumble.

My thought exactly. If we're not even going to consider the possibility of returning it, don't put anyone back to catch it. Send 6 to try to block it, and drop 5 to protect against a fake, and if they get a punt away cleanly, let it bounce and roll. But an automatic fair catch on every punt seems really dumb, wasteful, and not worth the risk.

The captain should ask the opposing coach to please not try any of that fancy, totally unexpected trickery when in a punt formation. I'm sure if he was polite enough they would be happy to oblige. Then all of this nonsense of no longer returning punts could cease. After all, he is a good man, like a Sunday school teacher. Who in the world would want to deceive a Sunday school teacher?

Iowa fair catches or lets it bounce 95% of the time anyway, so what do you lose? The opportunity to return 1 against WMU? When is the last time Iowa returned a punt against a team that mattered? Brodell against ISU? and the "matters" part can be argued. If Iowa had done this on the last 7 fake punts, how many of those games does Iowa win rather than lose?

I'm about as okay with this as I would be if we intentionally took a safety every time we were inside our own 10 yard line. Only at Iowa do you not play to win the damn game.

What the heck does that even mean? Play not to win the game? I know what some people think it means. And I know it gets tossed around here more than there are trolls living here. It's the most overused sports cliche. Even more overused than someone saying "as good as anyone out there, right now".

So I ask you... What the heck are you beaching about!?!? You make a big deal that he said this (and was quasi-serious). Yet you make a big deal about the success of fake punts against us. If he sets up a return, does that not show that he is playing to win? Reread that last sentence... It means HE IS PLAYING TO WIN THE GAME!!!!

Thanks, end rant.

Iowa fair catches or lets it bounce 95% of the time anyway, so what do you lose? The opportunity to return 1 against WMU? When is the last time Iowa returned a punt against a team that mattered? Brodell against ISU? and the "matters" part can be argued. If Iowa had done this on the last 7 fake punts, how many of those games does Iowa win rather than lose?

This is correct. Outside of the rugby type punts that Western Michigan was using KMM usually fair catches the ball anyway. If the ball has any hang time on it at all it's going to be a fair catch or a small return at best. I would rather take away the fake.

How about instead of acting like a petulant child who is gonna take his ball and go home, KF actually prepare to stop a fake punt.

After 7 of them, I'm guessing there is something schematically flawed.

How about instead of acting like a petulant child who is gonna take his ball and go home, KF actually prepare to stop a fake punt.

After 7 of them, I'm guessing there is something schematically flawed.

You mean like being in punt safe? Or perhaps having a couple spies?

Could you please enlighten me what is schematically missing from the punt team?

So tired of getting burned by fake punts, I honestly might be okay with it. Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz said after a fake punt burned his team against Michigan State last week that he was strongly considering never calling for a punt return again.Tuesday, he was asked if he was being facetious.“No, I was being dead serious,â€￾ Ferentz said - See more at: Ferentz says he’s not being facetious on punt return | TheGazette

This may come as a shock, but it's pretty stupid-looking to call for a fair catch when they don't even punt the ball. Just sayin'.

What the heck does that even mean? Play not to win the game? I know what some people think it means. And I know it gets tossed around here more than there are trolls living here. It's the most overused sports cliche. Even more overused than someone saying "as good as anyone out there, right now".

So I ask you... What the heck are you beaching about!?!? You make a big deal that he said this (and was quasi-serious). Yet you make a big deal about the success of fake punts against us. If he sets up a return, does that not show that he is playing to win? Reread that last sentence... It means HE IS PLAYING TO WIN THE GAME!!!!

Thanks, end rant.

[video=youtube;YuxCKv_0GZc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuxCKv_0GZc[/video]

I'd be ok with it. Other tan Western, we haven't seemed to get much from returns that I can remember.

Thanks, end rant.

You can't return a punt that isn't punted. Hell, I wonder why opposing teams ever punt. Under the current Iowa scheme, fake punts would work most every time. Each time a successful punt was executed, Ferentz would naturally think that there is no way they would fake it again so he wouldn't change a thing. It could go on forever like that.

Latest posts