Worst experience at Jack Trice?

Ok Des Moines Hawk, you have a valid point and I cannot disagree. My whole purpose of this thread was the fact that this was professionals in a banking tent. Compare that.

2009 was my worst experience inside the stadium...got bruised ribs because some Cyclown chick kept punching me in the ribs every time I cheered for the Hawks...I cheered all game long.

Worst experience outside the stadium would be 2005 - losing was bad enough but cyclowns everywhere yelled profanities at every Hawk they could find - only to top that by spitting on some to start a fight only when they outnumbered the Hawk groups

Some of the most classless fans I've ever gotten to witness....sad that most of them are Iowan's because they sure don't act like it

If you flip the "cyclown" (classy, as usual) and "Hawk" here, you have pretty much described all my experiences at Kinnick in 2002, 2004, and 2006 when I was away from my friend's tailgate.

Reality is that both ISU and Iowa fanbases have segments that turn into rabid savages when they play each other. If you don't believe that, you're biased and ignorant (regardless of which side of the debate you are on). It's funny that you say how ISU fans don't act like Iowans because I've felt the exact same way about many, many Hawk fans, especially for the ISU/Iowa games. Then there are all the stories of Hawk fans misbehaving at the Metrodome. But please, carry on.

Last edited:
I hate to rain on the parade but: A. Every fan in America can name a cruddy moment at an opposing team's stadium. That is the name of the game. Fans in Ames are no different than fans in Iowa City ... I have seen plenty of our own Hawk fans act like complete aholes to opposing team fans... And ... B. You start a negative thread about Jack Trice and then are bewildered that Cyclone fans have not jumped in the mix? What do you think they are going to say?

I am not standing up for ISU fans ... Only stating the fact of there are aholes everyone ... in every town, on every campus, in every stadium ...

Case in point: I have season tickets and one year was fortunate enough to land a tailgating spot on Melrose ... Our group was minding its own business and playing bag toss when about three ISU fans walked by ... Soon thereafter, six Hawk fans were soon in their face and saying "F you ... F the Cyclones, etc." ... I was embarrassed to be a Hawk fan at that moment ... So don't go thinking Jack Trice is any different than Kinnick because it is not.

For whatever reason, 90% of the bad behavior I've witnessed by Iowa fans against ISU was along Melrose. It's like the biggest tools in your fanbase are drawn to there, and the tailgates along the side streets or other random areas are far more civil.

When you go to their board they have stories that parallel the ones on here, only it happened to them at Kinnick. I think the bottom line is that we have as many horses a$$$'s as they do. I've been to probably a dozen Iowa/ISU games at Jack Trice and I can tell you that I've never been treated rudely. Maybe I'm lucky, but on the other hand, I treat them with respect and don't go looking for trouble.

Yeah, I would agree with that. While on the way to tailgate at Kinnick last year I stopped to use a portajohn. As I come out I see my ISU grad sister being attacked by 4 Iowa fratboys attempting to steal her case of beer, pushing her around and spitting at her while a group of fellow Iowa fans cheered them on. Yeah, she had an ISU t-shirt on, but she's also 5'1" and about 100 pounds soaking wet.

I know it goes both ways, but I about lost my faith in Iowa athletics after that.

I was Herky for the 2003 game at Jack Trice. The game had just finished and I was in the Herky suit walking through the parking lot to where the Iowa semi truck was parked to get changed. A cyclone fan (who looked like he crawled out from under a rock) walked up to me and and gave the Herky helmet a little slap on the side and asked if it hurt. I shook my head "no" so he reared back and punched the helmet about as hard as he could. It didn't really hurt, but it was loud and caused me to lose my balance and fall over. The Herky helmet is heavy as hell and makes me a bit top heavy since I am already 6'4. A bunch of Hawkeye fans that were standing close by saw what happened and were quick to step in and defuse the situation. Granted...walking into Jack Trice as Herky is like dressing up as a T-bone steak and walking into a lion's den. Other than that, my visits to Jack Trice have been quite decent. I can deal with receiving a little bit of rivalry ribbing and I am more than willing to dish it back. But the bottom line is this is a two way street and I have seen many cases of visiting fan's mistreatement in Iowa City. Specifically, the student parking lot after the 2003 Michigan homecoming game...

Yeah, I would agree with that. While on the way to tailgate at Kinnick last year I stopped to use a portajohn. As I come out I see my ISU grad sister being attacked by 4 Iowa fratboys attempting to steal her case of beer, pushing her around and spitting at her while a group of fellow Iowa fans cheered them on. Yeah, she had an ISU t-shirt on, but she's also 5'1" and about 100 pounds soaking wet.

I know it goes both ways, but I about lost my faith in Iowa athletics after that.

You must be a Clown troll.

It was the 2006 game. I indulged in some adult beverage before the game and by second quarter my bladder was like a bursting balloon. Every restroom in Jack Trice seemingly had a line a mile long. I literally walked around the entire stadium searching for relief, naturally starting **** with every Cyclown I saw because they had it coming; them being little brother and all.

Finally, I couldn't take it anymore. I climbed the scoreboard in the south endzone and urinated from the top all over the bleacher proles. To add further insult, I think some of my leak infiltrated their sound system as they have been quite distorted since the incident...

Cool story except the 2006 game was in Iowa City.

You must be a Clown troll.

Typical. Don't blame me for my sister being an idiot and spending her time in Lames. Maybe if our mom didn't use my sisters crib as an ash tray when we were younger, she may have been able to make a better decision.

Last edited:
1981 After the first four games of the renewed series were in Iowa City, finally one was played in Ames.

The band received the kind of abuse we hadn't anywhere before or since. We had students throwing stuff at us a good part of the game...including oranges. (evidently they realized they wouldn't be needing those oranges at season end) Amazingly, stadium personnel didn't do anything to prevent it.

The cardboard "F*** Iowa" signs attached to many of the signposts coming into town were also a classy touch. They looked like they might have been penned by 3rd graders. I guess, in a sense, they were. The only thing I've seen like it...was Arizona last September.

Sure, there are jerks everywhere...especially when you're successful and have a lot of bandwagon fans. But the level and quality of "doosh-baggery" is always special in Ames.

Last edited:
I have been to 4 games in the Big House (Ann Arbor) and 4 or 5 games at Jack Trice. I have also attended two games in Lincoln. The only real way to describe Iowa State fans is to contrast the difference in the fan bases' behavior during and after the game.

First, Michigan: Their fans are total class. Win or lose, they congratulate you during and after the game, and make you feel welcome. They enjoy the day. They ask you where you are from. They share their love for college football. They party with you. They seem genuinely glad that you made the trip. If they lose, they laugh about it and look forward to the next game. In other words, they have some perspective in realizing that a silly football game should not ruin the day, win or lose. A truly great program with great fans and great tradition.

Nebraska: Basically the same thing, only better. They applaud the visiting team before and after the game. They treat the visiting team with respect. Even more class than Michigan. Is it a coincidence that their program has won so much over the years?

Now, Iowa State: No class. None. Verbal abuse. Stupidity and outrageous actions.. Throwing things at Iowa fans as they take their seats. Swear words, even if you are with children. Childish. If you challenge them about their behavior, they usually want to take a swing at you, since most of their fans are completely drunk by game time. The worst fans....ever. They abuse all visiting teams. Really one of the most vile places in college football to visit if you are rooting for the visiting team. If you don't believe me, ask Nebraska fans. They get the same marvelous treatment from these fools.

After my last visit there, I vowed never to return and I will keep my word. Really, I dread that game. If we win, everyone says no big deal. If we lose, we listen to their idiot clown fans for one full year, since all they really care about is defeating Iowa. Beating Iowa State means nothing to Iowa. It means everything to Iowa State. That is why it is not a true rivalry. The Iowa Nebraska game will eclipse the Iowa State series forever...Nebraska joining the Big Ten means that Iowa State has no meaning anymore for Iowa fans. This is really a series that has run its course.

The only time I ever saw a game there was from the press box so I didn't have to deal with any idiot fans.

I don't plan to ever pay to watch a game there.

A guy I used to work with is from Texas so went to a game when they played the Longhorns. He couldn't get over the abuse of having stuff thrown at him and the vulgar language that was screamed at him throughout the entire game.

I know that every fan base has individual idiots, including ours. But I thought I'd share this since this is a guy with no Hawkeye ties who couldn't believe how classless the Iowa State fans are.

Bottom line, it is just uncomfortable attending a game at Jack Trice. It is no fun at all, even when Iowa wins. You just don't want to be there and can't wait to get out of that environment. I have attended games at every Big Ten stadium and several others. Jack Trice is absolutely the worst environment for visitors in the country. They really have no perspective, no sense of humor, and no clue. Just a chip on their shoulder.

Most people know that I have a certain level of disdain for our special cardinal and gold brothers to the west however I will say this, I went to the game in 2009 and did not have a single problem before, during, and especially after the game. I definitely wouldn't say their fans were cordial and inviting but I didn't experience firsthand any abuse although I don't doubt it was happening in certain places. I am going again this year so maybe our experience will be different though.

I have been to 4 games in the Big House (Ann Arbor) and 4 or 5 games at Jack Trice. I have also attended two games in Lincoln. The only real way to describe Iowa State fans is to contrast the difference in the fan bases' behavior during and after the game.

First, Michigan: Their fans are total class. Win or lose, they congratulate you during and after the game, and make you feel welcome. They enjoy the day. They ask you where you are from. They share their love for college football. They party with you. They seem genuinely glad that you made the trip. If they lose, they laugh about it and look forward to the next game. In other words, they have some perspective in realizing that a silly football game should not ruin the day, win or lose. A truly great program with great fans and great tradition.

Nebraska: Basically the same thing, only better. They applaud the visiting team before and after the game. They treat the visiting team with respect. Even more class than Michigan. Is it a coincidence that their program has won so much over the years?

Now, Iowa State: No class. None. Verbal abuse. Stupidity and outrageous actions.. Throwing things at Iowa fans as they take their seats. Swear words, even if you are with children. Childish. If you challenge them about their behavior, they usually want to take a swing at you, since most of their fans are completely drunk by game time. The worst fans....ever. They abuse all visiting teams. Really one of the most vile places in college football to visit if you are rooting for the visiting team. If you don't believe me, ask Nebraska fans. They get the same marvelous treatment from these fools.

After my last visit there, I vowed never to return and I will keep my word. Really, I dread that game. If we win, everyone says no big deal. If we lose, we listen to their idiot clown fans for one full year, since all they really care about is defeating Iowa. Beating Iowa State means nothing to Iowa. It means everything to Iowa State. That is why it is not a true rivalry. The Iowa Nebraska game will eclipse the Iowa State series forever...Nebraska joining the Big Ten means that Iowa State has no meaning anymore for Iowa fans. This is really a series that has run its course.

I can only shake my head at this thread and how it reflects on Iowans.

I've experienced games at Michigan and the sportsmanship has been so- so.

I've never experienced a game at Jack Trice but it is quite disturbing about most of the stories. Perhaps some of my fellow Hawkeyes that experienced abuse came about because of your arrogant or abusive or aggressive attitude at someone else's home stadium?

C'mon... the Cyclones are our baby brothers that do really well.... farming and feeding us. Being always 2nd best is great and we love ISU just the same. The clones engineer really well for us and we must always remember they are family.... may we all compete in peace.

I don't remember what year it was, but my old man had landed free tickets to an ISU-Colorado game back in the early '90's. Colorado was just absolutely sick as hell that year and my old man told me I had to go see their stars. Well it was an absolute blowout by halftime, but my old man wouldn't let us leave until the game was over. It was super cold and bince I was an idiot at the time, I only took a sweatshirt (Iowa of course) and I thought I was going to die. The 2000 or so Clown fans at the game were nice enough, they seemed happy that people were at the game.

I have been to 2 games there in my lifetime, both with my friend whose family has season tickets. The first was KSU a few years ago which ISU won. Fairly decent time, I had an Iowa shirt on and took some gestures from Clone fans, but Iowa won that day so they shut up.
The second was last year for the Utah game. I had a blast watching ISU get pounded. For the first few minutes, I was actually rooting for ISU because like a normal human I don't care much for what they do. We play them 1 time a year, and they arent in our conference so as long as Iowa beats them, I'm fine. But then I saw an older Iowa fan, probably mid 50's struggling to walk up the stairs with what looked like his brother, get harassed by a group of drunk ISU fans. I then started to enjoy the pounding Utah gave them. I also had to remind this group of ISU fans that Iowa destroyed ISU for the past few years and they shut up.
The worst part of the visit, hearing ISU fans talk about how amazing Utah was and how they happened to be the best team they've ever seen play at Jack Trice. Obviously some fans truly don't understand football very well.

I'm guessing that the guy saying his Longhorn buddy got stuff thrown at him is completely full of it. Every Big 12 fan I've ran into in Ames (or who had been to Ames), except for Nebraska fans, had nothing but good things to say about how they were treated.

Iowa fans do get treated like crap in Ames, just like ISU fans get treated like crap in Iowa City. To base how either fan base treats road fans from their own conference base on how they treat each other is stupid.

And if you're going to an ISU game that isn't against Iowa, and you're wearing Iowa gear, you're a ****** bag.

I've been to non-ISU games at Kinnick, and I never wear ISU gear. What's the point? You're just saying "hey, I'm a confrontational ***** that's intentionally trying to disrespect the vast majority of people around me". I have Hawk fan buddies that come to JTS, and if Iowa isn't playing, they wouldn't dream of wearing Iowa gear.

And if you're going to an ISU game that isn't against Iowa, and you're wearing Iowa gear, you're a ****** bag.

I've been to non-ISU games at Kinnick, and I never wear ISU gear. What's the point? You're just saying "hey, I'm a confrontational ***** that's intentionally trying to disrespect the vast majority of people around me". I have Hawk fan buddies that come to JTS, and if Iowa isn't playing, they wouldn't dream of wearing Iowa gear.

I honestly dont see the big deal in this and have always wondered why people get worked up about it.

Its a college football game and if the person doesnt have a rooting interest in either team that is playing, why shouldnt they wear their favorite teams colors?

Latest posts