Worst case bowl scenario for Iowa

I know it shouldn't matter but if IOWA does reach the playoffs and does not win it all then we will still hear about how IOWA has not been to the Rose Bowl since 1991 even though they were deserving after the 2002 season.

But having said that, the Rose Bowl is now a consolation prize. Some of the older folks need to adjust their thinking.

There isn't going to be conversations about the Rose bowl anymore.

Going forward it's no longer a meaningful bench mark.

Yep, because no matter what we can say we are the undisputed Big Ten Champs. Unlike that 2002 season where we ended up as co-champs.

Clown fans will say anything to try and get under our skin. ;)

Exactly, winning a conference championship is what's important now.

I don't understand the "Rose Bowl above all else" line of thinking. Not in 2015. Sure, there was a time where the Rose Bowl was THE ultimate destination for any Big Ten team. But that was in the old system.

Today, being in the playoff and having the opportunity to play for a national title is the ultimate destination. Anything else is a tier (or more) below.

If Iowa misses the playoffs and plays in the Rose Bowl, there's no doubt that I'll still be extremely pleased with this season, but that means that they won't be playing for the national title, so I don't see how there can be a legitimate debate between which is better between the two.

Yeah, Iowa could go to the playoff and lose the first game, but there's no guarantee Iowa wins the Rose Bowl, either.

Worst case? We lose the next 3, the committee laughs at us for trying, and we end up playing Houston in the "who freakin cares" bowl, and everyone can go back to thinking we grow potatoes....

I didn't realized time changes, Rose Bowl becomes "Old School Bowl".
thumb-480x480-design-layer-115.png

My head hopes for a playoff spot, but my heart hopes for the Rose Bowl. I've never been to a bowl game but would probably go to the Rose. Playoff game, I'd certainly love watching on TV, but I don't think I'd go. It's just the way I grew up, and it will probably take a few more years before I change my thinking around.

I hear ya... Either way, Rose or Playoff, it'll be an amazing run. Rose Bowl game is one of my bucket list events, so i'm good with it!

I would think about taking in the Rose Bowl, cause it is a great experience with the parade, game, festivities, etc. Would likely not go to a generic playoff game. That's just me, others can disagree.

There isn't going to be conversations about the Rose bowl anymore.

Going forward it's no longer a meaningful bench mark.

It's still a meaningful bench mark, you still have had a pretty good year in order to go to the Rose Bowl. But the playoffs and winning the Big Ten is more meaningful.

It's still a meaningful bench mark, you still have had a pretty good year in order to go to the Rose Bowl. But the playoffs and winning the Big Ten is more meaningful.

It's an accomplishment, meaning you likely made the conference championship game and lost, but I don't really see it as a bench mark like winning the conference is.

I can pretty much promise you no one is going to be talking about how long it's been since a team has been to any particular bowl.

If you're a team like ISU, how long it's been since you've been to a bowl period will still be discussed, but that's about it.

Chance to win a championship is better than no chance to win one. If you pick Rose Bowl over playoffs then you are a weird person or you don't follow college football and probably think they're the same thing or something.

I'm one of those old farts that use to think the Rose Bowl was the greatest to go to but times change we now have a chance to run the table and not only be the BIG Champions but be one of the 4 teams in a play off.Who would of thought that back in August. Funny when you think that Rose Bowl is now a consolation prize but would love to follow these Hawkeyes where ever they end up.Go Hawks

Latest posts