Worst 2 assistant coach staffing decisions ever

So, when the players turn out to be really good KF gets no credit for their recruitment or improvement, but when they turn out to be less than expected and don't really develop KF bears all the blame for bad recruiting and bad coaching?

The hate is strong with you. Maybe time to spend your time watching and writing about someone you like. I get the rage. You hate Kirk Ferentz. You hate him so much that you rail about almost every day and several times a day. But you are still sufficiently tethered to reality you understand all of your hatred, vile and bile rants make absolutely no difference to anyone in charge of anything. You have allowed your hatred to become pathologically self-defeating.

Give yourself a break and just walk away. You sound like a Michigan man-go root for Blue. Win win for everyone.
Teddy,
The facts don't lie.
Passing offense 127
Scoring offense 129
Rushing offense 107
Total offense 130...dead last
When you are this bad, there are inherent problems. Do not hate KF, but question anyone who is the highest paid employee in the state and what there respective expectations are!
So, when the players turn out to be really good KF gets no credit for their recruitment or improvement, but when they turn out to be less than expected and don't really develop KF bears all the blame for bad recruiting and bad coaching?

The hate is strong with you. Maybe time to spend your time watching and writing about someone you like. I get the rage. You hate Kirk Ferentz. You hate him so much that you rail about almost every day and several times a day. But you are still sufficiently tethered to reality you understand all of your hatred, vile and bile rants make absolutely no difference to anyone in charge of anything. You have allowed your hatred to become pathologically self-defeating.

Give yourself a break and just walk away. You sound like a Michigan man-go root for Blue. Win win for everyone.

I’ve stated my position routinely. He has assembled a tremendous defensive staff. They recruit tough, blue collar guys and overachieve routinely defensively. There’s a lot of pride there and they feed off it in everything they do. When they play a top 10-15 team, the defense gets exposed for what it is. An overachiever.

Offensively, when they’ve had an off line coach that knew what they were doing, they had strong lines with incremental development. Also, had an eye for frames needed. But poor choices in coaches has eroded that position in recent years.

Tight end has always been a solid position from scouting frames, developing and utilizing within the scheme. Iowa hs football produces a lot of frames that fit tight end development as does the midwest. But I give Kirk high credit here.

Running back has been hit and miss. Talent has dropped in recent years. Development also seems a notch below but no passing game and line play may be a lions share of it.

This staff has shown repeatedly the qb/wr position is well over their heads in every aspect. They used to be lucky with some of the personnel in early years but it’s significantly leveled off over time

Teddy,
The facts don't lie.
Passing offense 127
Scoring offense 129
Rushing offense 107
Total offense 130...dead last
When you are this bad, there are inherent problems. Do not hate KF, but question anyone who is the highest paid employee in the state and what there respective expectations are!
Ice, I think you misunderstood my previous point because your response is a non sequitur. I was merely pointing out another OldHawks unreasonable and logically untenable positions. You cannot blame KF for everything bad and then deny him credit for everything good. That creates a self-defeating standard; KF will be blamed under any circumstances. That sounds like the Inquisition interrogating prisoners.

I'm probably not as outraged as you, and I certainly don't care about KF's salary (it's a drop in a bucket compared to the amount of money the state of Iowa pisses away every year) but I agree on the substance of the critique on offense. So, the OC that put up those numbers has been fired. Especially since we saw something new and completely different yesterday, I have become much more critical of BF than I was 48 hours ago when I didn't know how well Marco ran the ball, and the possibility of his ability to outplay Hill right now. Obviously a highly mobile QB can take a lot of sting out of poor O line and the kid never played.

Everything seemed to change in 2020. Look at the offensive numbers in the first three years, when Stanley was the QB. It's like a completely different team and offensive system.

There might be some old man stubborn creeping into decision making. I'm hopeful the new OC is someone that can reach KF about what the QBs are doing. We've been recruiting increasingly more mobile QBs (Labas, Lainz, Resar).

Last edited:
I’ve stated my position routinely. He has assembled a tremendous defensive staff. They recruit tough, blue collar guys and overachieve routinely defensively. There’s a lot of pride there and they feed off it in everything they do. When they play a top 10-15 team, the defense gets exposed for what it is. An overachiever.

Offensively, when they’ve had an off line coach that knew what they were doing, they had strong lines with incremental development. Also, had an eye for frames needed. But poor choices in coaches has eroded that position in recent years.

Tight end has always been a solid position from scouting frames, developing and utilizing within the scheme. Iowa hs football produces a lot of frames that fit tight end development as does the midwest. But I give Kirk high credit here.

Running back has been hit and miss. Talent has dropped in recent years. Development also seems a notch below but no passing game and line play may be a lions share of it.

This staff has shown repeatedly the qb/wr position is well over their heads in every aspect. They used to be lucky with some of the personnel in early years but it’s significantly leveled off over time
Well your testimony is interesting but does not revive the unreasonable position of depriving KF of any credit when the players are good and blaming him when they're not-e.g. your snark about CJ's development.

When have we not had talented backs? We have two outstanding backs right now-of course they are now running into 8 and 9 defenders. A 1400 yards from scrimmage back just two seasons ago.

QBs. Really a problem? BB, Nate C, Drew Tate, Ricky Stanzi, Rudock, CJ, pre-injury Vandenberg and Nate S provided 20 years of pretty good to outstanding QBing. Jake C looks like Kenny Stabler compared to the shit QBs we've put on the field the last four seasons.

I think you are wrong about WRs, but it's moot because I think they are caught up in a dysfunctional offense.

The offensive line and the four seasons of bad to terrible QBing deprive us from any real ability to determine how good the WRs have been. ISM, Brandon Smith, became good, Keagan J showed potential, we developed Charlie Jones. Now it looks like Kaleb B is going to be very good. But the QB cannot be on his ass in three seconds and find many receivers. So a lot of the blame rests in the OL room. There have been special injury circumstances but not this season. Wouldn't cry if we replaced the OL coach-especially if we can get a guy with OL NFL experience. Next year's true and RS freshmen are supposed to be good. If Lauk is a real tackle-let's get him more downs.

You finish where you were the last time, "KF" just got lucky with good offensive players. That's just silly. Ramble down Iowa's career leaders in almost every individual category. Most were recruited and matriculated under KF. You don't get lucky that many times.​

Well your testimony is interesting but does not revive the unreasonable position of depriving KF of any credit when the players are good and blaming him when they're not-e.g. your snark about CJ's development.

When have we not had talented backs? We have two outstanding backs right now-of course they are now running into 8 and 9 defenders. A 1400 yards from scrimmage back just two seasons ago.

QBs. Really a problem? BB, Nate C, Drew Tate, Ricky Stanzi, Rudock, CJ, pre-injury Vandenberg and Nate S provided 20 years of pretty good to outstanding QBing. Jake C looks like Kenny Stabler compared to the shit QBs we've put on the field the last four seasons.

I think you are wrong about WRs, but it's moot because I think they are caught up in a dysfunctional offense.

The offensive line and the four seasons of bad to terrible QBing deprive us from any real ability to determine how good the WRs have been. ISM, Brandon Smith, became good, Keagan J showed potential, we developed Charlie Jones. Now it looks like Kaleb B is going to be very good. But the QB cannot be on his ass in three seconds and find many receivers. So a lot of the blame rests in the OL room. There have been special injury circumstances but not this season. Wouldn't cry if we replaced the OL coach-especially if we can get a guy with OL NFL experience. Next year's true and RS freshmen are supposed to be good. If Lauk is a real tackle-let's get him more downs.

You finish where you were the last time, "KF" just got lucky with good offensive players. That's just silly. Ramble down Iowa's career leaders in almost every individual category. Most were recruited and matriculated under KF. You don't get lucky that many times.​
For starters, there are more games played now and the game has changed dramatically from the past. Comparing skill position players from the Hayden era to ferentz, especially 2010 and beyond Ferentz is a joke. Most of the qb’s you listed may have been decent at iowa, but nationally, give me a break. And he sat brad banks (behind mccann) and also aat beathard. Only played him when he had absolutely no other choice. He hasn’t had game breaking running backs and receivers in years and the one he did have (jones) transferred

Ice, I think you misunderstood my previous point because your response is a non sequitur. I was merely pointing out another OldHawks unreasonable and logically untenable positions. You cannot blame KF for everything bad and then deny him credit for everything good. That creates a self-defeating standard; KF will be blamed under any circumstances. That sounds like the Inquisition interrogating prisoners.

I'm probably not as outraged as you, and I certainly don't care about KF's salary (it's a drop in a bucket compared to the amount of money the state of Iowa pisses away every year) but I agree on the substance of the critique on offense. So, the OC that put up those numbers has been fired. Especially since we saw something new and completely different yesterday, I have become much more critical of BF than I was 48 hours ago when I didn't know how well Marco ran the ball, and the possibility. Obviously a highly mobile QB can take a lot of sting out of poor O line and the kid never played.

Everything seemed to change in 2020. Look at the offensive numbers in the first three years, when Stanley was the QB. It's like a completely different team and offensive system.

There might be some old man stubborn creeping into decision making. I'm hopeful the new OC is someone that can reach KF about what the QBs are doing. We've been recruiting increasingly more mobile QBs (Labas, Lainz, Resar).
The new QB recruits have been ignored by the critics. Clearly, recruiting efforts with regard to QB’s have changed. Hopefully a couple will turn out to be upgrades.

Spot on.

Bold above - This is exactly what has been killing the offensive unit over the years. This coupled with the regression in the line play. They haven't been getting a QB or WR's that have been making the line look better and they haven't had production in the line making the QB look better. This is proven by the complete absence of putting anyone in the league producing at QB or WR from Iowa. That is a red flag and shows the lack of development at these two positions. How in that many years do you not have someone stumble in and make a splash in the NFL on occasion at these two positions? One would think it would happen periodically or a couple times.

I've seriously wondered this year if the team wouldn't have been better off overall by not calling plays from the sideline and just letting the QB draw them up in the dirt like we used to do as kids. Ranking wise it couldn't have been worse and I think TOs wise probably not worse either.
Wouldn't have been as predictable! Lol.

Could you imagine that, guys going up to the line and watching the defense scramble wondering WTF is going on?

The only problem is, is there is no big oak tree in Kinnick to run to than do a sharp square in towards the shed.

Wouldn't have been as predictable! Lol.

Could you imagine that, guys going up to the line and watching the defense scramble wondering WTF is going on?

The only problem is, is there is no big oak tree in Kinnick to run to than do a sharp square in towards the shed.
Fran Tarkenton actually did that late in his career. The Vikings beat the heavily favored Cryboys with shit Tarkenton made up on the ground or in the huddle. It was great!

Fran Tarkenton actually did that late in his career. The Vikings beat the heavily favored Cryboys with shit Tarkenton made up on the ground or in the huddle. It was great!
He might be the first QB I remember as a kid, actually. They are regional to us so prob was on TV more than other teams I think.

Same could be said of Farve, He ad-libbed some great plays. I'm a vikes fan and I'll never forget Tark!

That's a big part of his problem. He believes his pledging of Fandom entitles him to elitist privilege. And that if he rants and complains enough it gives him a right as a fan to demand change. Now with NIL he thinks Iowa has unlimited pockets and resources to outbid absolutely everyone for anyone he thinks we should pursue.

That's a big part of his problem. He believes his pledging of Fandom entitles him to elitist privilege. And that if he rants and complains enough it gives him a right as a fan to demand change. Now with NIL he thinks Iowa has unlimited pockets and resources to outbid absolutely everyone for anyone he thinks we should pursue.
The irrational Bitter Enders just get so old. They waive all the deficiencies in money, population and school size like there's a magic coach that overcomes Iowa's small population and proportionately far fewer 4 * and 5* players.

Iowa has had only 8 ten-win seasons, 2 11-win seasons and 1 12-win season so winning 10 games is an outstanding season at Iowa. Three of those are in the last four full seasons. So this idea that Iowa football is lagging is simply wrong. They are overachieving. Judge Iowa results against Iowa results. Not a BB or media whore.

The offensive results are unacceptable and we're hiring a new OC. The first OC put the Banks, Tate and Stanzi offenses together, hired two historic defensive coordinators and now probably the best special teams coordinator in the country. The next guy had a 12-0 regular season-the defense gave up the losing score in the BTT. Brian was a terrible mistake but now he's gone. I have some confidence that the guy that hired those other guys will probably hire a good guy for OC this time.​

Last edited:
The irrational Bitter Enders just get so old. They waive all the deficiencies in money, population and school size like there's a magic coach that overcomes Iowa's small population and proportionately far fewer 4 * and 5* players.

Iowa has had only 8 ten-win seasons, 2 11-win seasons and 1 12-win season so winning 10 games is an outstanding season at Iowa. Three of those are in the last four full seasons. So this idea that Iowa football is lagging is simply wrong. They are overachieving. Judge Iowa results against Iowa results. Not a BB or media whore.

The offensive results are unacceptable and we're hiring a new OC. The first OC put the Banks, Tate and Stanzi offenses together, hired two historic defensive coordinators and now probably the best special teams coordinator in the country. The next guy had a 12-0 regular season-the defense gave up the losing score in the BTT. Brian was a terrible mistake but now he's gone. I have some confidence that the guy that hired those other guys will probably hire a good guy for OC this time.​
Even if we make the playoff next year and make a run, naysayers will just retaliate with "Kirk cares about his money first amd fforemost and makes changes only when his feet are held to the fire. F the fans"

Remember the 2015 season to name but one example.

Well they're partially correct about the last part. But Kirk coaches to win first and foremost and isn't worrying about appeasing fans except for high rolling donors. He can be smug. And people take it so personally. I highly doubt that when he puts in the game plan with the coaches on a Tuesday night that he turns to them and says "We're running the short side stretch on third and seven just to stick it to those irate posters who invest time and money into being a fan"

But some on here sure seem to take ithat way! Then I get the "Don't tell me how to root for my team I will do it however the hell I want" lectures from grown adults.

Never understood it. If you're in sales do you win every presentation? If you're in law do you win every case? If married do you win every argument with your wife? And when your in the heat of your job or marriage are you worried about third party feelings?

No you're not. Your worried about one objective. And learning from your failures if you fail. And people here either don't see that or see this site as a wailing wall where they can lament everything they can't control.

Just like Facebook. It's old, tired and sophomoric. And you should have seen some real perpetrators before the admisnstrator and/or previous moderator bounced them.

Latest posts