Woodbury's progress as a senior

papathawki

My son is an asst. BB coach at MOC high school in NW Iowa. His team scrimmaged Woodbury's team the other day and these are comments he had to say about Woodbury:

"He is pretty tough. Much stronger than last year. He is very solid, with a
lean strong upper body and his legs are pretty muscular. He and our big
guy really went at it hard. I think he will make an
IMMEDIATE impact for the Hawks next year. I think he and Gessell will both
be in the regular rotation next year for Iowa."

Last edited:
Great post and thank you for sharing. The Adam Woodbury era at Iowa is going to be like an EARTHQUAKE ......a whole lot of shaking goin on

While having a big guy that can shoot FTs is great its the least important skill for a center.

Rebounding, defense and good low post scoring skills are what a centers game needs to consist of.

Woodbury is also supposedly a very good passer.

actually ft's are a big deal
if he can't shoot them you are looking at a hack a shaq game plan in close games
i am not asking a lot, to hope he shoots 65-70% as that would stop the deliberate fouls

While having a big guy that can shoot FTs is great its the least important skill for a center.Rebounding, defense and good low post scoring skills are what a centers game needs to consist of. Woodbury is also supposedly a very good passer.

this is false. its nearly impossible to be a factor in late close games unless you can shoot ft's at a decent clip. centers also tend to go to the line a lot. you can add a point or two per game to your scoring totals if you can shoot 70% as opposed to 50%

this is false. its nearly impossible to be a factor in late close games unless you can shoot ft's at a decent clip. centers also tend to go to the line a lot. you can add a point or two per game to your scoring totals if you can shoot 70% as opposed to 50%

I agree.

While having a big guy that can shoot FTs is great its the least important skill for a center.Rebounding, defense and good low post scoring skills are what a centers game needs to consist of. Woodbury is also supposedly a very good passer.

Like a couple of posters have already pointed out, you're very incorrect about FT's being the least important skill for a center. Tell that to Dwight Howard and the Magic, or Shaq.

Evaluation of Woodbury.

The same coach from MOC (my brother) told me when he saw Worley play at the state tournament that he didn't think he would be as good as all of the "experts" had rated him and he had real questions about how good Worley would be at Iowa.

So he was fairly accurate on that one, for what that is worth.

Re: Evaluation of Woodbury.

Worley's main problem was acquiring fouls rapidly. At one period of time he seemed to get a foul a minute.....

Zach and the coaching staff need to correct the problem he has with moving screen calls.....

Something is amiss. I personally do not see the majority of the infractions he is being ticketed with.....

:)

He will definitely need to get that free throw percentage up ... As a big guy he can expect to see a lot of time at the foul line ...

So you are saying most centers shoot freethrows well? What in your opinion then would be a less important skill/ability for center. Ball handling I suppose.

Seth Gorney could shoot freethrows well if thats what you think is important.

Im not saying its irrelevant but it is unquestionably less important than defense rebounding and low post scoring ability.

More good centers have been bad free throw shooters than have been good ones.

Last edited:
actually ft's are a big deal
if he can't shoot them you are looking at a hack a shaq game plan in close games
i am not asking a lot, to hope he shoots 65-70% as that would stop the deliberate fouls

You are not going to see a team deliberately foul off the ball during a close game in college basketball, for many reasons.

The fact that there are plenty of terrible free throw shooting big men and yet you never see it happen is pretty much proof.

That strategy is far more risky than just playing defense.

Yes they will foul a bad shooter instead of giving up a layup but that happens no matter what in close games.

Im not saying freethrow shooting isn't important, but I would much rather have a guy who can rebound play defense and score on the post than a guy who can't do those but can shoot freethrows.

Hence, free throws are the least important aspect of playing center.

If a team makes free throws they will put a dagger in the heart of the opponent during close games. If a team knows that the other team shoots tremendous free throws, the mental aspect of that will take the heart of the opponent. A team is behind and trying to catch up so they foul, but the other team makes 8 of 10 free throws...very difficult to catch up. No matter how many times the other team scores trying to catch up, the team shooting free throws just does not miss often. That will take the spirit away from the team and fans (if playing on the road).

Besides free throws are gimmes, the other team is just standing there allowing your team to make 2 points. We have seen less talented teams beat good teams JUST BECAUSE they shoot a very high percentage of free throws.

Plus if you big men are excellent free throw shooters, the other player has to play very tough defense, which is tiring. He can't just foul the center and put him on the line to save 2 points...the shooter will make both free throws, so you have just wasted a foul. Making free throws often makes a close game a comfortable win.

Shooting a high percentage of free throws can enable a team to finish higher in the conference and I think shooting a high percentage gives the players and team added confidence. Foul us and we will make you pay...

Anyone who thinks free throws are not important is fooling themselves.

Latest posts