Woodbury

I think we are better with him than without him but if he could just make a layup there would be a lot less complaining. He missed 2 in the ISU game. That's a big deal in a 1 point game. The other complaint is how weak he is with the ball. It's weird because he plays really strong without the ball.

He had or was the cause of at least 8 TO's in the game. Literally has zero rebounding skills. Watch the game, he stands there and raises his arms while getting jumped over. Its horrible. His D is good, but rebounding and offensive inefficiency is too much. It's laughable, the D he provides does not outweigh the O, rebounding, and non TO that putting in Wagner or Uhl provide.

Uhl makes a much more difficult O option for the opposing D to defend, can JUMP, will score more than Woody minutes played (no effing debate), and can JUMP! Wagner is just better rebounding.

While on this subject, why the EF dont we put our team at its best position possible? Clemons is NOT A ******* 2! Clemons 6th man. Gessel is point, Jok is 2, Utoff 3, Woody if we have to at 5, and ******* start Uhl or Wagner at 4...WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wagner, Uhl, Gessell all will benefit from this, but more importantly Jok and Uthoff can move back to their BETTER position. Why is Jok not a 2 and Uthoff not a 3?????????????? One good reason, can't think of ANY, ef Clemons at 2.

Despite the gratuitous use of punctuation, I agree with much of this.

In your humble opinion? How about facts? Below are some facts! These are stats (facts) rather than opinions...for Woodbury.

FR - 51% from the line, 4.9 PPG and 4.8 RPG

SO - 71, 5.7 and 3.9

JR - 57.6, 6.6 and 5.2

SR - 84.4, 9.5 and 6.8
Wow...my bad! He has improved leaps and bounds. (no pun intended).
In all seriousness, He is our best option in the middle, just hasn't progressed very much since he set foot on the floor at CHA.

Not a shot at him by any means, but I'm not impressed by a 7 footer who is only pulling down 6.8 boards a game in OOC play with the minutes he's getting.

Guess just another off game today! Impressive stuff~ Better and younger talent on the bench that deserve minutes.

The 6-foot-7 redshirt freshman finished with 13 points, seven rebounds, six blocked shots and two assists while playing a career-high 30 minutes.

Baer's numbers.....Woody can only dream of having this type of output in one game.

Last night against TTU Woody had 7 pts. and 6 rebounds...granted in 18 mins (see comment below about PT).

PCHawk "The other complaint is how weak he is with the ball. It's weird because he plays really strong without the ball". That showed up last night when Woody had the ball at 10', facing the basket, with space, and he didn't even look to shot/make a move! Somewhere in this thread it was said "the fact he has no go to post move is telling".

I liked HiltonHeadHawks take on putting the best team on the floor...and it appears as if Fran is starting to reconsider how he uses Woody by toying with the lineup.

P.S. I still can't believe what Baer is doing on the floor...not in a million years would I have guessed his season to have progressed this way after game one!

Last night against TTU Woody had 7 pts. and 6 rebounds...granted in 18 mins (see comment below about PT).

PCHawk "The other complaint is how weak he is with the ball. It's weird because he plays really strong without the ball". That showed up last night when Woody had the ball at 10', facing the basket, with space, and he didn't even look to shot/make a move! Somewhere in this thread it was said "the fact he has no go to post move is telling".

I liked HiltonHeadHawks take on putting the best team on the floor...and it appears as if Fran is starting to reconsider how he uses Woody by toying with the lineup.

P.S. I still can't believe what Baer is doing on the floor...not in a million years would I have guessed his season to have progressed this way after game one!

Yes, Fran has gone away from Woody the last few games, because of matchups. Our next two games are against MSU and Purdue, I think we will need him. Also, our offense has been fine, we don't need Woody shooting ten foot jump (well set) shots.

Woody is out there primarily for defense, but on offense he is out there to set screens and make layups.

But I agree the emergence of Baer, Uhl, and to a lessor extent Wagner, will allow Fran to play Woody in the 18-25 minute range, where he is most effective.

After reading my post, it was unclear what I meant. I think it is weird that Woody plays so weak without the ball since he plays so strong with it. I didn't mean that I thought it was weird that people said he was weak with the ball.

I believe we will need him in the Big 10 season. We will face a lot of centers, true post players, and will need size against those teams.

I agree with your statement about Baer, especially considering that in high school he rarely shot outside of the lane.

I posted something like that in this thread...

What puzzles me the most is after four years in the program, he has no "go to" shot or move. Something he's practiced a million times and it becomes quasi-automatic.

How about a mid-lane fade jumper, a hook, regular jumper, power move to basket, something!

He has developed almost zero offensive game except garbage around the basket. And that to me is puzzling.

I guess count me in the disappointed camp regarding Woody.

Four years in. No offensive game. Not even a hint at a "woody move" or patented "woody shot". Zero. Real head scratcher.

Soft - Yes
Uthoff disappeared - Yes
Gessell struggled - Yes
Not Fran's best coaching effort - Yes

...however...I am using my first post here to officially announce I am done with Woodbury :mad:(I know I know...nothing we haven't heard before). In fact, I was done with him at HT, and was shocked to see he had 10 pts., so I looked up his stat line:

STARTERSMINFGM-A3PM-AFTM-AOREBDREBREBASTSTLBLKTOPFPTS
Adam Woodbury, C355-90-02-21451013312

which is proof stats can/do LIE! I don't know who was keeping stats, but Woody had 3 TO in a 5-10 min span in the first half alone. Woody is capital T-errible.

What the stat line doesn't show:
- foul(s) that led to points in the last 2 minutes...couldn't close out on Thomas, gave him baseline, then climbed his back...all in 5 feet of court space!
- getting out hustled by quicker smaller guys...um all game long!
- 0 intimidation when coming into the lane...what is a big guy good for on D if he can't control the lane against a team with little inside presence?
- liability on offense...all he can do is set screens, miss a couple bunnies, and score when his man leaves him...oh yeah and have TOs without charging as he attempts a single post move.
- TOs others commit because Woody isn't strong and coordinated enough to be a viable/reliable pass option...in the last minute Clement and Uthoff were both forced to pass to him as a last second option to avoid a 5 sec call...2 TOs that would likely not happen with any other player!

I was shocked Fran stuck with Woody on the press out of bounds plays...why...what does he bring to the table?

In the end, it all doesn't matter, because unlike football, you can lose some games and still make the playoffs...and, playoffs are all that matter!

Ah...now I feel better.

<<Ah...now I feel better>>

You're welcome

I believe we will need him in the Big 10 season. We will face a lot of centers, true post players, and will need size against those teams.

I agree with your statement about Baer, especially considering that in high school he rarely shot outside of the lane.

Sadly It's like putting a band aid on a cut the requires more attention.

I posted something like that in this thread...

What puzzles me the most is after four years in the program, he has no "go to" shot or move. Something he's practiced a million times and it becomes quasi-automatic.

How about a mid-lane fade jumper, a hook, regular jumper, power move to basket, something!

He has developed almost zero offensive game except garbage around the basket. And that to me is puzzling.

I guess count me in the disappointed camp regarding Woody.

Four years in. No offensive game. Not even a hint at a "woody move" or patented "woody shot". Zero. Real head scratcher.
My point exactly. Usually 4 years in the coaching staff has had a chance to work with a player and learn how to utilize and maximize certain skill sets. A 7' player has certain advantages and they should be able to use them to a teams advantage. Maybe this is all he has. This is as good as it gets. IF he would have went to NC, would he have greatly improved under the guidance of that coaching staff? I think if he would have went to NC, he would be seeing considerable bench time or would have transferred out by now. He has reached his ceiling (sorry again, no pun intended)

I simply cannot believe how many times his shot gets blocked by people much shorter than him. It's just sad.

Latest posts