Woodbury

Typical Woody has played very very well this year, all it took was 1 game for the BIG IDIOTS to come out in full force to knock on him, how about you guys go grow up already.

1 game? We are talking about a 7 foot 4th year Sr. who has started 114 out of 115 games while attending Iowa. He hasn't averaged double digit points or averaged more that 6 boards in a season. I would think by now we should be seeing something more from him, probably a great kid but personally Iowa needs to move on and it can't happen soon enough!

1 game? We are talking about a 7 foot 4th year Sr. who has started 114 out of 115 games while attending Iowa. He hasn't averaged double digit points or averaged more that 6 boards in a season. I would think by now we should be seeing something more from him, probably a great kid but personally Iowa needs to move on and it can't happen soon enough!
100% spot on.

So the only 2 starters that haven't been thrown under the bus in this thread are Uthoff and Jok...but I'm sure their shortcomings are coming in the next few posts.

Fran had to of promised Woody he would start at Iowa the moment he stepped onto campus, if he signed with the Hawks. Seriously there is absolutely no other excuse for why he has started 114 out of 115 games at Iowa. Oh and yes I've heard the comment it really don't matter who starts that don't mean a thing ahh BS to that. When you don't deserve to start you shouldn't start!!!!

You sing this song over and over when Iowa loses a game. Not only is it without foundation, it gets really tiresome.

It's ok to critisize and want a change made as long as you can provide a better option. What do you suggest we do?

What puzzles me the most is after four years in the program, he has no "go to" shot or move. Something he's practiced a million times and it becomes quasi-automatic.

How about a mid-lane fade jumper, a hook, regular jumper, power move to basket, something!

He has developed almost zero offensive game except garbage around the basket. And that to me is puzzling.

I guess count me in the disappointed camp regarding Woody.

Must be somebody else this is my first post this season with regards to BB.. Win or lose our Center position is weak!

You must be a little slow. That was my point: You have not posted lately. Why? Now, you are piling on? BTW, yes, we have only an average center. Deal with it.

You must be a little slow. That was my point: You have not posted lately. Why? Now, you are piling on? BTW, yes, we have only an average center. Deal with it.

Its not piling on its stating fact Huck, Woody is a disappointment. If you think he isn't than we agree to disagree, but I can tell you this my stance is of the majority not yours!

Its not piling on its stating fact Huck, Woody is a disappointment. If you think he isn't than we agree to disagree, but I can tell you this my stance is of the majority not yours!

Yes, he is a disappointment in terms of what he was rated coming out of HS, I'll give you that argument all day. But for all intents in purposes we've known what we've had in him for the four last years. He's a serviceable defensive center that has been a part of some pretty solid teams. The thing that has been frustrating is year in and year out people on here think over the offseason he is going to become Kareem the dream, and then we have these threads pop up. He's never going to be an overly athletic guy, he's never going to have long arms, and anyone with any basketball sense could see that from day one. Over the offseason all I heard on these boards is, Woody has to give us 10-12 PPG and stay out of foul trouble. Well (knock on wood) he's stayed out of foul trouble so far and is averaging about 10 pts, with his better games, in terms of scoring, coming against the better competition, so he's pretty much met expectations. Again, if you learn to temper expectation for AW, and just see him for what he is, he will actually pleasantly suprise you with his defensive effort and screening. Then you'll still have time left over to laugh at his uncoordinated lay ups, his bi-gamely skirmishes (that he always causes), and ask yourself the daily question "can he even dunk."

Yes, he is a disappointment in terms of what he was rated coming out of HS, I'll give you that argument all day. But for all intents in purposes we've known what we've had in him for the four last years. He's a serviceable defensive center that has been a part of some pretty solid teams. The thing that has been frustrating is year in and year out people on here think over the offseason he is going to become Kareem the dream, and then we have these threads pop up. He's never going to be an overly athletic guy, he's never going to have long arms, and anyone with any basketball sense could see that from day one. Over the offseason all I heard on these boards is, Woody has to give us 10-12 PPG and stay out of foul trouble. Well (knock on wood) he's stayed out of foul trouble so far and is averaging about 10 pts, with his better games, in terms of scoring, coming against the better competition, so he's pretty much met expectations. Again, if you learn to temper expectation for AW, and just see him for what he is, he will actually pleasantly suprise you with his defensive effort and screening. Then you'll still have time left over to laugh at his uncoordinated lay ups, his bi-gamely skirmishes (that he always causes), and ask yourself the daily question "can he even dunk."

I am so glad there are sane people left in the Iowa fan base. After the first page I was really wondering...

Is Woody a top 50 player in college basketball, as he was a top 50 recruit? No. That is obvious.

Is he playing the best Basketball of his career? Yes. Better than most expected coming into the season? Absolutely. He is shooting and scoring better than ever and is a solid passer and at least an average defensive center.

Other teams are not scared of him. He is not an All-American. Nobody is arguing with you, Woody haters. He is awkward, not smooth. Not someone you marvel at., but what he is, is a solid contributor on a likely tournament team at this point. And somebody who dives on the court, makes the hustle play. To suggest he is the reason we lost that game is ridiculous. We lost that game because we stopped answering their runs and became passive against a top 5 team on the road. And because we couldn't inbound the ball and left a timeout in our pocket through two turnovers and a broken last play.

If you're in this thread looking for a scapegoat, you're looking in the wrong place.

The biggest problem I had last night was it was beyond obvious that there was no way Woody was going to keep up with or slow down McKay. Wagner may lack size and experience but could have been used down the stretch when it became clear they were going to try to run on us or go to the perimeter. I've also made my opinion known that I see no reason why he should touch the ball outside the paint.

I thought Wagner should have played for sure. Uhl wasn't cutting it for me. We need more set offense for Uhl, he simply cannot create. That and his defense and rebounding are not nearly aggressive enougn. Besides that, we needed more substitutions for sure. Anything. Spot substitutions would have been good. Our guys needed more time on the bench. Uthoff is the only one who should be allowed to play that many minutes.

A few spot minutes in the first half, for sure, with some in the second as well. Wagner, Fleming, and a couple for Williams would have been ok. Just do it at the right time. With one or two, max at a time. Needed rest, added energy, Great exposure.

Wagner for his rebounding. If we are not going to run an offense. We need boards. And other than Uthofff, this team cannot rebound. They cannot figure out how to block out?!? It drives me NUTS!?!

One more note, I think we will miss Dale Jones this year. Definitely could have used him Thursday...

I don't think people demand he become Kareem. I think people would like him to get...better. Y'know, improve at the most basic things that a seven-foot center ought to be able to do...rebound, go up strong, not turn the ball over. He doesn't do that.

"I was shocked to see he had 10 points" speaks to the heart of the perception problem some fans have.

Last edited:
Woodbury and Gesell are good players. Would I trade them for their ISU counterparts, Morris and McKay, in a fantasy league........absolutely.

Tough loss but we played a very talented and athletic team down to the wire on their court. It is an opportunity to learn with the tougher non-conf matchups and hopefully work on the parts of the game that wouldn't ordinarily be exposed with weaker opponents. We gave the game away but ISU cashed in on the opportunity. They made their shot in the end, we didn't.

......and yes, I wouldn't have made similar positive comments shortly after the end of this game. Time sometimes heals and allows perspective to show itself.

Your opinion is a disappointment. If you find is necessary to disrespect a player who doesn't live up to your lofty expectations because he looks clumsy it's your problem, not his. Woody is doing just fine.

Your opinion is a disappointment. If you find is necessary to disrespect a player who doesn't live up to your lofty expectations because he looks clumsy it's your problem, not his. Woody is doing just fine.

Well this is just odd so now people making assertions on my opinions? Fact is I never made mention of him not meeting my lofty expectations (whatever those might be) nor did I say he looked clumsy. lol... Some of you really try to hard. Listen its pretty damn simple Woody is probably a fine young man with a bright future in something other than Basketball in 4 months.

He had or was the cause of at least 8 TO's in the game. Literally has zero rebounding skills. Watch the game, he stands there and raises his arms while getting jumped over. Its horrible. His D is good, but rebounding and offensive inefficiency is too much. It's laughable, the D he provides does not outweigh the O, rebounding, and non TO that putting in Wagner or Uhl provide.

Uhl makes a much more difficult O option for the opposing D to defend, can JUMP, will score more than Woody minutes played (no effing debate), and can JUMP! Wagner is just better rebounding.

While on this subject, why the EF dont we put our team at its best position possible? Clemons is NOT A ******* 2! Clemons 6th man. Gessel is point, Jok is 2, Utoff 3, Woody if we have to at 5, and ******* start Uhl or Wagner at 4...WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wagner, Uhl, Gessell all will benefit from this, but more importantly Jok and Uthoff can move back to their BETTER position. Why is Jok not a 2 and Uthoff not a 3?????????????? One good reason, can't think of ANY, ef Clemons at 2.

Latest posts